Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

Short Shifter Install (08 2.7L PreRunner)

Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Short Shifter Install (08 2.7L PreRunner)

I picked up one through a group buy over on CustomTaco a couple months ago for a great price, and I finally got around to installing it.

I can't say that the install went smoothly, but URD and Gadget were great to deal with. First minor issue was that I got the wrong instructions. Gadget emailed me the correct set. Once I got everything taken apart, I couldn't get the extension onto the shift lever. After talking with Gadget on the phone and emailing him some pictures, it was determined that my lever is slightly larger then the one used to make the parts. He said they see this about once a month. He offered a full refund if I wanted to ship it back. While I was waiting for a reply about the pictures, I kept messing with it and managed to get the extension stuck half way on. At this point, I called a friend to come over and help me get it off and had him bring his dremel just in case.

We ended up using the set screws to push the extension off. Then I explained the problem to him, and we decided to do some sanding. After 2hr hand sanding with 120 and 220 and a "fine" sanding drum on the dremel, we got the spacer sleeves taken down and the inside of the extension tip opened up enough to make it fit.

Got everything back together, and it shifts great. It also all but eliminated the gear gnashing I was getting going from 1-2 and 2-3. I could feel the gears skipping off each other before. My dealership insists it's normal for the 5 speed.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the same problem on my 05 5-lugger. I'm not sure if I want to try the same as what was done above or just return it.

Anybody else having the same issue?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
There were some similar problems with a similar fix reported in the original group buy thread over on Custom Tacos. (here: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=121214)
Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link. Apparently I didn't look hard enough over there.