Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

Warning: URD MAF is very sensitive to RF interference

Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Warning: URD MAF is very sensitive to RF interference

I have a URD MAF in my 06 Tacoma. When I key up my 100 watt VHF radio, the engine stalls.

If I hold the URF MAF in my hand (while installed to the truck), the engine will literally respond to its physical movement IE: while I'm transmitting my 100 watt radio, if I'm holding the MAF in my left hand, the engine will drop idle to a shuddering 500rpm, if I switch it to right hand, it will stall. (while sitting in the passenger seat)

I will make a video showing this as soon as I can.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYgZkXzfszQ
Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
WITCHCRAFT!

Quick, line your glovebox with tinfoil!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Wrap it in any fine metal mesh fabric. It will blocks any outside radio interference because you're making a faraday cage with the mesh isolating URD MAF from any interference.

That's for DIY, but if you're not up to it, you can buy a faraday cage bag from here:

http://techprotectbag.com/

Their products are designed to protect sensitive electronic equipment from EMP damage after a nuclear blast or even if someone sets off an EMP pulse. The bag big enough to fit your URD MAF is less than $10 so its a quick and cheap fix going that route.

Here is a youtube video review about the bag:

http://www.equip2endure.com/WatchVideo.aspx?id=442
Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

We have millions of anti static bags at my job so I'll try that method.
I'll also ask the radio engineers at my company for some advice.

I can't be the only person to come across this.

If there are desert racing Tacomas with URD MAF's in them, chances are they will have a VHF race radio in them too.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, my. Please, continue.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

Spoke to URD today. They told me that my leads are way too long, and there is too much RF leaking inside my truck (which is true since I have a diplexer and a 100 watt amplifier).

I guess I'm going to take it out

aka it will be for sale soon lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
The shealding bag didn't work?