Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

2005 Xrunner- NO POWER and Black smoke.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
rockstar626 is on a distinguished road
rockstar626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That all depends on what is exactly wrong with it. It runs in open loop but "dies" when it hits closed loop.
This. This is exactly what we were told at Toyota. You just worded it better than me.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Did a boost pipe come off?

Where would this be located?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Quote:
Yes, it makes sense. They come with fuel management controllers. Just need to know which one and perhaps we can find the software for it.
Also, where can we determine this so I can post?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Quote:
Idea! Are the bypass valve hoses still connected? If it is venting to the atmosphere that could cause issues.

Ricers the buy the noisy ones usually end up looking like a diesel because all that metered air gets dumped while the ECU still thinks ot is going into the engine.
We will check this and post more info asap.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar626 View Post
Also, where can we determine this so I can post?
It is usually wired directly into the main harness.

Look on the left side of this pic. You can see the black URD box. It would look something like that. Granted it may not be an actual URD product. It could be APR-X1 (I think) or something else. Check the ECU location also.

If you can upload some pics, that might help us also.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
Quote:
It is usually wired directly into the main harness.

Look on the left side of this pic. You can see the black URD box. It would look something like that. Granted it may not be an actual URD product. It could be APR-X1 (I think) or something else. Check the ECU location also.

If you can upload some pics, that might help us also.
I will try and do so as soon as I can get the truck to me.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
zacksblacktaco is on a distinguished road

zacksblacktaco's Tacoma Gallery
call the urd tech support line and ask for gadget, from what i have read it seems like the problems are going to point to the APR X-1 engine management system. what will be needed will probly be a firmware update
Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
(snip) The customer had it towed it because there was black smoke coming from the tailpipe and absolutely no power at all!! (snip)
Okay, I'll take a wild guess. Of course, first check the fuel system (leaks, clogs, bad fuel, etc). However, the O2 sensor is usually the #1 cause of these symptoms. Try replacing that, reseting the computer, and driving for a few miles to see if the smoke stops and power returns. If that doesn't work, try the MAP sensor, followed by the coolant temp sensor. Each of these impact how the computer manages the fuel mix.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #29
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Okay, I'll take a wild guess. Of course, first check the fuel system (leaks, clogs, bad fuel, etc). However, the O2 sensor is usually the #1 cause of these symptoms. Try replacing that, reseting the computer, and driving for a few miles to see if the smoke stops and power returns. If that doesn't work, try the MAP sensor, followed by the coolant temp sensor. Each of these impact how the computer manages the fuel mix.
Did you even read the whole thread?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Here is my horrible Paint work:

Attached Thumbnails
2005 Xrunner- NO POWER and Black smoke.-tapatalk_1344443065954.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
Quote:
Here is my horrible Paint work:

Thank You for this. Your community is so helpful! We will check this and let everyone know. I have a guy that is familiar with these at our local Toyota store that will check and advise after work tonight and see what we can find.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Thank You for this. Your community is so helpful! We will check this and let everyone know. I have a guy that is familiar with these at our local Toyota store that will check and advise after work tonight and see what we can find.
The large pipes after the blower are the boost/charge pipes. The smaller pipe with the valve is the bypass for when boost is not needed.

I don't know for sure but I believe the MAF is before the blower on this kit. If it is then any pressurized air leaking past the blower would cause it to run rich. It could also be a simple failure of the ECU which he would have to buy a new one since APR no longer makes the X1.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you even read the whole thread?
No. I responded to the OP, not anyone else in the thread. If my ideas agree or conflict with anything else said, doesn't change those ideas. The OP can take or leave my comments as he alone so desires.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #34

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
No. I responded to the OP, not anyone else in the thread. If my ideas agree or conflict with anything else said, doesn't change those ideas. The OP can take or leave my comments as he alone so desires.
It shows because everything you suggested has either been done or doesn't pertain to the issue at hand.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
OK, The guy at the Toyota Dealer doesnt apperantly know how to talk to the system. Here is the pic of the x-runners setup. We checked the things mentioned above, and everything seems tight, booster pipes, etc. Hoping somebody here can tell us what we got.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 Xrunner- NO POWER and Black smoke.-urd-sc.jpg  
Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #36
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
You need to find someone who can work with that URD tuner
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
You need to find someone who can work with that URD tuner
Right. Where do we find this person?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #38
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is the million dollar question.... Any performance shops in town?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #39

Marines:
Quote:
OK, The guy at the Toyota Dealer doesnt apperantly know how to talk to the system. Here is the pic of the x-runners setup. We checked the things mentioned above, and everything seems tight, booster pipes, etc. Hoping somebody here can tell us what we got.
Has Gadget gotten back to you?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #40
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Corporate Headquarters:
Underdog Racing Development, LLC
P.O. Box 39
Huntingtown, MD 20639
USA

Tel: (877) 887-3872
Fax: (410) 630-5011
Technical Assistance - support@urdusa.com

I know you said you tried contacting them but, if I were you, I'd keep at it. They are the experts when it comes to your setup and would either be able to pass you on to someone local who knows the system or tell you how to deal with it (probably send you the software to deal with the system).