Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

2005 Xrunner- NO POWER and Black smoke.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
rockstar626 is on a distinguished road
rockstar626's Tacoma Gallery
2005 Xrunner- NO POWER and Black smoke.

Hi,

First post here, but could really use some help right now. I work for a small auto dealership and we recently sold a 2005 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner. It has a URD Supercharger on it, what stage, I do not know.

It has been running great until now. We sold it about 1 month ago and it only has 27k miles on it.

The customer had it towed it because there was black smoke coming from the tailpipe and absolutely no power at all!! I dont even know where to start. I have tried calling URD and they have not gotten back to us yet, so I am reaching out to the community to see what we should do first. I wanna take care of this customer and the local Toyota Dealer is scared to mess with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

ps Traction oil is full. Belt seems OK. We obviously do not have the scan tool to talk to the truck.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like too much fuel. What else is on the truck as far as URD and aftermarket components?

Also, you can try these guys. You may get a faster response or possibly the previous owner...

http://www.xr-underground.com/
Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Sounds like too much fuel. What else is on the truck as far as URD and aftermarket components?

Also, you can try these guys. You may get a faster response or possibly the previous owner...

http://www.xr-underground.com/
Not sure. It looks like its pretty stock. No exhaust work appears to have been done either. Ill try to get a pic on here soon.

When we took it to Toyota, they said that when they "clear" the codes, the truck runs good for 3- 4 minutes, then goes back into a closed loop. Thats when the problems begin again. I have been told that Toyotas scan tool can not talk to the URD set up. Is this correct?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar626 View Post
Not sure. It looks like its pretty stock. No exhaust work appears to have been done either. Ill try to get a pic on here soon.

When we took it to Toyota, they said that when they "clear" the codes, the truck runs good for 3- 4 minutes, then goes back into a closed loop. Thats when the problems begin again. I have been told that Toyotas scan tool can not talk to the URD set up. Is this correct?
That, I do not know. What code(s) does it throw? Or is it spefically a URD code?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
How can you be absolutely sure the URD is to blame?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
is blame being tossed or help being requested by someone that may have the knowledge to help? like the maker of the SC?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD6Speed View Post

is blame being tossed or help being requested by someone that may have the knowledge to help? like the maker of the SC?
I just ask because OP stated he doesn't know where to begin, but it seems as if the only thing he is concerned with is the URD.... Just trying to help think outside of the box a little.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Oh I feel so confident now.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Quote:
We dont know the SC is to blame. All I can give is symptoms. No check engine light. No nothing other than symptoms and a modded truck that we can not talk too or reset. If it was stock this would be a whole lot easier, but I have faith that someone in this community can say"start here".
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I just ask because OP stated he doesn't know where to begin, but it seems as if the only thing he is concerned with is the URD.... Just trying to help think outside of the box a little.
I think he is troubleshooting and seeing that the only visible mod is the SC he is "beginning" correctly by trying to contact Gadget or others with the knowledge to prob help before he starts wrenching or causing more damage.

OP.....nice to see you taking care of the your customer. GL with fix
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Quote:
We dont know the SC is to blame. All I can give is symptoms. No check engine light. No nothing other than symptoms and a modded truck that we can not talk too or reset. If it was stock this would be a whole lot easier, but I have faith that someone in this community can say"start here".
beat me to it.......good stuff
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Quote:
That, I do not know. What code(s) does it throw? Or is it spefically a URD code?
No check engine light is on and I am being told that there are no codes in "Toyotas ECM". I am being told that there is a seperate programmer to adjust the URD to make it do different things. So perhaps there is an error code in the URD. Does this make sense?

One more thing. Toyota has said that when they "clear" the ECM, the truck runs fine for 3-5 minutes, and then right back where we started, bogging down and black smoke.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Did a boost pipe come off?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

Marines:
Quote:
No check engine light is on and I am being told that there are no codes in "Toyotas ECM". I am being told that there is a seperate programmer to adjust the URD to make it do different things. So perhaps there is an error code in the URD. Does this make sense?

One more thing. Toyota has said that when they "clear" the ECM, the truck runs fine for 3-5 minutes, and then right back where we started, bogging down and black smoke.
Yes, it makes sense. They come with fuel management controllers. Just need to know which one and perhaps we can find the software for it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
ya...they have fuel and igntion controllers.........If it runs fine for 3 to 5 minutes then bogs it def sounds like gas/air ratio is getting fubar'd. I think you are on the right path with getting the controller identified then programmed correctly.

dammit.....98 tacome was faster....damn BF! flying the chopper
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #16

Marines:
I think it should be kept simple too and look for a loose vacuum or pipe as Whipper asked. Maybe even a loose wiring connection for the controller.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Quote:
I think it should be kept simple too and look for a loose vacuum or pipe as Whipper asked. Maybe even a loose wiring connection for the controller.
But wouldnt that cause issues right from startup......if a vac or hose was loose it wouldnt run right for a few then bog and start choking. It would have no pressure from the get go.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #18

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD6Speed View Post
But wouldnt that cause issues right from startup......if a vac or hose was loose it wouldnt run right for a few then bog and start choking. It would have no pressure from the get go.
That all depends on what is exactly wrong with it. It runs in open loop but "dies" when it hits closed loop.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Idea! Are the bypass valve hoses still connected? If it is venting to the atmosphere that could cause issues.

Ricers that buy the noisy ones usually end up looking like a diesel because all that metered air gets dumped while the ECU still thinks ot is going into the engine.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
where the injectors changed out? maybe pull them and see what they are looking like. Ive been running into a very similar problem on my aircraft and the injectors are clogged from shitty fuel.