Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

Headers & Y-pipe

Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Headers & Y-pipe

I have a bad cat off of my header so I am just going to replace the headers and y-pipe. I am looking at the "pipe bomb" and have not made up my mind on the headers. I see a lot of great things about the JBA headers, but would the JBA headers and the Doug Thorley pipe bomb go together?

Obviously the DTLT and the pipe bomb would go together but I see a lot of people having the issue with the DTLT cracking? If you search the forum, most times you find them for sale instead of someone giving a review. That kinda turns me off of them.
I also hear that if you go with the long tube then you will sound kinda ricey, which is no bueno. That is the reason I am going to get the y-pipe as well. I like the idea of going through URD because I am also in MD and I can imagine shipping would take too long to get to me.

discuss..
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if the Doug Thorley header cracking issue is still around?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't know URD made a shorty header
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
The JBA shortys say that minor welding is needed? What would you need to weld?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #10

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
JBA Cat4ward® Headers are the perfect upgrade for today's emissions controlled cars, trucks and SUVs. Engineered with heavy duty features and patented technology, these headers deliver serious performance gains without compromising your vehicles emissions equipment. Bolting (minor welding required when installing headers on a 4.0 liter 1GR engine) on a set of JBA Cat4ward® Headers increases your engines breathing ability and overall efficiency. The result is a significant increase in horsepower and torque throughout the RPM range. You will also improve the throttle response and in some cases your vehicle's fuel economy.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
So after reading further my best bet is JBA headers welded to new cats and stock ypipe.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
I would do the urd true equal length runner headers and keep stock mid pipe
Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #14

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post
I would do the urd true equal length runner headers and keep stock mid pipe
That would delete the cats and I would need the o2 simulator then... correct?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you would I have one that I can sell you I dont need it anymore ill sell it for cheap
Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #16

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I'll keep it in mind. I have your number. I'm still weighing my options on what I'm going to do about this bad cat.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #17

DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
Just pull the manifold put and shove a broom handle through it until it's all gone then repeat to the other side and then o2 sim and done lol. Or ship them to me ill cut the housing open remove the cat material then reweld it shut
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
I am running DTLTs with an AT 2525XL. At idle to about 2000 rpm, it sounds good. I have even had people say that they didn't know Toyota put a V8 in Tacoma's. But at WOT and high rpm, it sounds like a pissed off weed wacker. I have only had one issue with the O2 sims, one of the plugs broke, but it was an easy fix.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #19

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. That's the sound I don't want. I've been reading and finding out that with the pipe bomb you will get rid of the high pitched sound.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #20

ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
At the end of the day I want it to sound throaty and deep. Not high and ricey.