1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Short throw shifter kit

Discussion in 'Underdog Racing Development' started by RelentlessFab, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Just wanted to give a little feedback on the kit. I got mine during that $99 group buy a couple weeks ago and just got the chance to install it. After taking it for a test drive, I really like it. The only issue for me, is how it makes reverse really hard to get into, but I knew it would do that before I bought it. As for the install, everything was good except one thing- the holes in the spacer plate for the dowel pins to fit into were too small! I had to take my dremel with a sander bit to slightly enlarge them until I could tap the dowels in with a hammer. Overall the install took 1hr 15 minutes from disassembly, install, assembly, and then putting the tools away; would have been 15+ minutes shorter had I not had to mess with those holes. I'll be driving my truck over a 5hr trip on sunday so i'll see how much more I like it after some extended seat time.:cool:

2. Apr 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Like the action of the shifting now. Definately an improvement. Real tough to get into 1st when cold though. Oh, havent missed a gear since installing it. I'd often have issues with my tranny fully going into 5th and grinding on occasion but no more. :cool:

3. May 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    trick61

trick61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    91 Taco 4X4 short bed 5 spd
    3" body lift, torque cams rebuilt motor
    Where did you get it...?

4. May 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    I got it directly from URD off of the group buy we had a couple months ago.

5. May 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And the pricing is back for the "may day sale"

6. May 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I just got mine installed today on my '09, and it took about 45 minutes. I didn't have any problems with the dowel pins... you just have to flip them over and install them the other direction if they don't fit right in, I think, at least that's what I did. I'm not really having any difficulty getting into reverse either. Biggest improvement is going from first to second. So much smoother. The shifting feels more like a sports car now than it did. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Kuntrykid likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    HeliFreek

HeliFreek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    None, SOLD, too many problems for a new truck
    I installed mine yesterday, went in smothly. I love how it shifts now. I did have to bend the metal up above the front bolts to get them in, but it was OK, you never see that once everythig is back in place. I am in Maryland and it was shiped in MD, I thought they were in California. Shipping was really fast, it took 1 day.

Great kit and it's on sale now.

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    I just bought a 09 does anyone know if its the same install for the 2.7 i really dont know much about it. I had a 09 2wd 5 lug before this one and didn't really mess with it other than a readylift and tires.

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    scratch that i bought a 2011 4x4 my bad i was thinking of my old truck

10. Dec 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    x ynot

x ynot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    lucedale, ms
    Vehicle:
    06 xrunner and 99 prerunner
    step side k&n air filter tool box and running boards
    got one for the xrunner and love it

11. Dec 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    How's this in comparison to the TRD Short Shifter?

12. Dec 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    acolsch

acolsch Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    McGuire AFB, NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    DVD Player
    Alright, don't want the short throw shifter - just want the shifter to be shorter on my 04 Tacoma.

I've read a few threads on the B&M shifter. once again, I am not looking for a 'short throw' shifter. just want a shorter shifter.

Am I better off attempting to cut the stock shifter down or is there an aftermarket shifter out ther that is shorter by an inch or two?

13. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    reviving an old thread.... yesterday i tried the short throw kit and i could not for the life of me get the damn plastic.polyurethane piece off the bottom of the shifter (after i had taken the plate off the transmission, i tried my thumbs but couldnt get it to come off, any suggestions? should i just destroy this one and order the new part from toyota?

14. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Try putting on your big boy panties and give ti another go.

I'm kidding-KIDDING- Try a bench vice and a center punch.Put the edge of the poly bushing on the top fo the vice with the shifter hanging down the middle and use the center punch to pop the ball out.

Mine came off with a bit of effort using my fingers...

15. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    idk man, you just gotta pull hard. use a glove or cloth to help you out

16. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    ah..... maybe we should change that screen name to "cupcake" ???? < joking also !!! i still have yet to install mine but curious if you fixed your small issue. :D

17. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    fixed it for you...., but seriously i just felt like i was going to damage the damn thing and if that happens i'll have to wait for the new part to come in:(

18. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    mirathi

mirathi Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Huntsville, Al.
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra-Cab 4x4 - Original owner
    Clear strobes in Front corner lights / Rear brake lights (Former fiber-to-the-curb installer). Go Industries front "cow catcher". URD short-throw shifter.
    I realize this is an older thread (4 months), but I have some comments on the URD shifter. Firstly, here's my specs:

1999 Tacoma SR5
    2.7 3RZ FE Engine
    4x4 Extended Cab

My URD shifter arrived yesterday and I began the installation. 90mins into the install and I'm ready to place the spacer into place and complete my long awaited STS. It doesn't fit/line up with existing bolt holes.

I double check my invoice/order from URD and everything appears to be solid. At the same time I log into my URD account and fire off an email requesting an RMA. I really hope they allow cross shipping, as I want them to send me the correct part while I send them the incorrect part.

So upset.

19. Aug 3, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    Umrunner

Umrunner Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC OR Timberland Mica. 6 speed.
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    just installed mine.
    Should have done this the first week i bought the truck. What a amazing difference. Such an increase in positive engagement, such a improved feeling.
    The install is super easy, the instructions are very well laid out.
    Only issue is the sticker from URD was severely warped when i got it.. can't put it on the truck..
    Great product.

20. Dec 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    bump an old thread..Im going to be ordering one soon, got money for christmas. Any feedback from people who installed it and have been using it for a few months now?

To Top