Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

Short throw shifter kit

Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Short throw shifter kit

Just wanted to give a little feedback on the kit. I got mine during that $99 group buy a couple weeks ago and just got the chance to install it. After taking it for a test drive, I really like it. The only issue for me, is how it makes reverse really hard to get into, but I knew it would do that before I bought it. As for the install, everything was good except one thing- the holes in the spacer plate for the dowel pins to fit into were too small! I had to take my dremel with a sander bit to slightly enlarge them until I could tap the dowels in with a hammer. Overall the install took 1hr 15 minutes from disassembly, install, assembly, and then putting the tools away; would have been 15+ minutes shorter had I not had to mess with those holes. I'll be driving my truck over a 5hr trip on sunday so i'll see how much more I like it after some extended seat time.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Like the action of the shifting now. Definately an improvement. Real tough to get into 1st when cold though. Oh, havent missed a gear since installing it. I'd often have issues with my tranny fully going into 5th and grinding on occasion but no more.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
trick61 is on a distinguished road
trick61's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get it...?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick61 View Post
Where did you get it...?
I got it directly from URD off of the group buy we had a couple months ago.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I just got mine installed today on my '09, and it took about 45 minutes. I didn't have any problems with the dowel pins... you just have to flip them over and install them the other direction if they don't fit right in, I think, at least that's what I did. I'm not really having any difficulty getting into reverse either. Biggest improvement is going from first to second. So much smoother. The shifting feels more like a sports car now than it did. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
HeliFreek is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
HeliFreek's Tacoma Gallery
URD Short Shifter

I installed mine yesterday, went in smothly. I love how it shifts now. I did have to bend the metal up above the front bolts to get them in, but it was OK, you never see that once everythig is back in place. I am in Maryland and it was shiped in MD, I thought they were in California. Shipping was really fast, it took 1 day.

Great kit and it's on sale now.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
just grabbin gears
scrappletaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 779th Med Group
Name: Josh
scrappletaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 09 does anyone know if its the same install for the 2.7 i really dont know much about it. I had a 09 2wd 5 lug before this one and didn't really mess with it other than a readylift and tires.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
just grabbin gears
scrappletaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 779th Med Group
Name: Josh
scrappletaco's Tacoma Gallery
scratch that i bought a 2011 4x4 my bad i was thinking of my old truck
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
x ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tony
x ynot's Tacoma Gallery
got one for the xrunner and love it
Old 12-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
How's this in comparison to the TRD Short Shifter?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
acolsch is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AF SMSgt Air Transporter
Name: Andy
acolsch's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, don't want the short throw shifter - just want the shifter to be shorter on my 04 Tacoma.

I've read a few threads on the B&M shifter. once again, I am not looking for a 'short throw' shifter. just want a shorter shifter.

Am I better off attempting to cut the stock shifter down or is there an aftermarket shifter out ther that is shorter by an inch or two?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
reviving an old thread.... yesterday i tried the short throw kit and i could not for the life of me get the damn plastic.polyurethane piece off the bottom of the shifter (after i had taken the plate off the transmission, i tried my thumbs but couldnt get it to come off, any suggestions? should i just destroy this one and order the new part from toyota?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Try putting on your big boy panties and give ti another go.

I'm kidding-KIDDING- Try a bench vice and a center punch.Put the edge of the poly bushing on the top fo the vice with the shifter hanging down the middle and use the center punch to pop the ball out.

Mine came off with a bit of effort using my fingers...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
idk man, you just gotta pull hard. use a glove or cloth to help you out
Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
reviving an old thread.... yesterday i tried the short throw kit and i could not for the life of me get the damn plastic.polyurethane piece off the bottom of the shifter (after i had taken the plate off the transmission, i tried my thumbs but couldnt get it to come off, any suggestions? should i just destroy this one and order the new part from toyota?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Try putting on your big boy panties and give ti another go.

I'm kidding-KIDDING- Try a bench vice and a center punch.Put the edge of the poly bushing on the top fo the vice with the shifter hanging down the middle and use the center punch to pop the ball out.

Mine came off with a bit of effort using my fingers...
ah..... maybe we should change that screen name to "cupcake" ???? < joking also !!! i still have yet to install mine but curious if you fixed your small issue.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #17
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
ah..... maybe we should change that screen name to "cupcake" ???? < joking also !!! i still have yet to install mine but curious if you fixed your small issue.
fixed it for you...., but seriously i just felt like i was going to damage the damn thing and if that happens i'll have to wait for the new part to come in
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
mirathi is on a distinguished road
Marines: 0311
Name: Steven
mirathi's Tacoma Gallery
I realize this is an older thread (4 months), but I have some comments on the URD shifter. Firstly, here's my specs:

1999 Tacoma SR5
2.7 3RZ FE Engine
4x4 Extended Cab

My URD shifter arrived yesterday and I began the installation. 90mins into the install and I'm ready to place the spacer into place and complete my long awaited STS. It doesn't fit/line up with existing bolt holes.

I double check my invoice/order from URD and everything appears to be solid. At the same time I log into my URD account and fire off an email requesting an RMA. I really hope they allow cross shipping, as I want them to send me the correct part while I send them the incorrect part.

So upset.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Caltanian
Umrunner is on a distinguished road

Umrunner's Tacoma Gallery
just installed mine.
Should have done this the first week i bought the truck. What a amazing difference. Such an increase in positive engagement, such a improved feeling.
The install is super easy, the instructions are very well laid out.
Only issue is the sticker from URD was severely warped when i got it.. can't put it on the truck..
Great product.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
bump an old thread..Im going to be ordering one soon, got money for christmas. Any feedback from people who installed it and have been using it for a few months now?