Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Underdog Racing Development

Notices

URD TCAI Filter Question

Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Question URD TCAI Filter Question

Gadget,

Normally, I would send you an email. Since this isn't a big deal and plenty people on here would probably like to know; I am asking here...

Since I purchased a URD TCAI second hand, I got a filter that had already been used for who knows how long. I am looking to replace it as it was "well used" when I got it. The filter that you guys have for the Supercharger kit looks like the same thing. Is it? Can I just order one of these from you guys to replace the one I have?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, we use the same filter for the supercharger kits and the URD TCAI.

Out of stock for about a week. Got a large shipment on its way!!

The new filter is slightly different. I worked with Injen/AMSOIL to redesign the filter slightly. It now has a lip in the pipe section to prevent folks from sliding it on to far killing performance.

Gadget
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
Yes, we use the same filter for the supercharger kits and the URD TCAI.

Out of stock for about a week. Got a large shipment on its way!!

The new filter is slightly different. I worked with Injen/AMSOIL to redesign the filter slightly. It now has a lip in the pipe section to prevent folks from sliding it on to far killing performance.

Gadget
Awesome! I will be ordering one ASAP. The one I have now is deteriorating on the pipe fitting. The rubber is starting to crack and the filter looks like it has been on the truck for years.

That's what I get for getting used, eh?

Cheers!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wow. Never heard of that happening before.

I used the same filter for years, did all the prototype MkI supercharger testing, then the URD TCAI testing and on to the MkII supercharger development. The only reason I put a new one on was to take pictures for the website one day and I decided to leave it on. I put the old filter on one of my other project trucks so it is still going...

G
Old 08-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
I have an afe pro 5R if you want it, idk how much its worth tho

brand new never used
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Wow. Never heard of that happening before.

I used the same filter for years, did all the prototype MkI supercharger testing, then the URD TCAI testing and on to the MkII supercharger development. The only reason I put a new one on was to take pictures for the website one day and I decided to leave it on. I put the old filter on one of my other project trucks so it is still going...

G
I think the guy that had it before me abused the junk out of it. It has been sitting in the desert heat and harsh winters that I drive through. It probably has close to 100K miles on it.

I was going to see about cleaning it to at least make it look blue again, but I think I would rather just buy a new one.

Can you use soap and water on these things?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
I have an afe pro 5R if you want it, idk how much its worth tho

brand new never used
No thanks. I love my URD TCAI!!! It just needs a new filter!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
I have a huge shipment of the special filters inbound right now to URD. I should be able to ship the filter later in the week if you want to go ahead and place your order now.

Just a word of caution. You should not use any other filter with the URD TCAI. We carefully designed the placement of the MAF sensor, the tube, and the filter to work together to provide a very clean and accurate signal from the MAF sensor. The curved velocity stack of the filter is very important to provide smooth air flow into the tube before the MAF. I have seen people attempt to use other filters and they induce all kinds of turbulence to the air flow causing a very poor and unstable MAF reading.

G
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
I have a huge shipment of the special filters inbound right now to URD. I should be able to ship the filter later in the week if you want to go ahead and place your order now.

Just a word of caution. You should not use any other filter with the URD TCAI. We carefully designed the placement of the MAF sensor, the tube, and the filter to work together to provide a very clean and accurate signal from the MAF sensor. The curved velocity stack of the filter is very important to provide smooth air flow into the tube before the MAF. I have seen people attempt to use other filters and they induce all kinds of turbulence to the air flow causing a very poor and unstable MAF reading.

G
Maybe the filter is what is wrong with my MAF readings. About once every 3 months I get a CEL on MAF errors. When I check the readings in the driveway, they seem fine. This only happens when I am driving down a certain stretch of I-10 that is very windy and I am pulling 70-75 MPH uphill. I had forgotten all about it since I haven't had a CEL in months, but I got one yesterday driving that same strip in a crosswind.

At first, I thought it was my soldering job on the wires to the MAF. However, I took all of that out and re-soldered (heatshrink and all) a few months ago. After yesterday's CEL, I was beginning to think it was the MAF itself ($130 part!). Hopefully it is just bad turbulence due to a really clogged filter.

I will be ordering a new filter this week.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
I dub thee malicious!

ordered via paypal.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
I dub thee malicious!

LMAO!!! The last 3 digits of my order number are 007.

...okay, it was funny to me.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Lmao!!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
I dub thee malicious!

Gadget,

Any update as to when the new ones will be shipped out?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
I dub thee malicious!

Thumbs up Got it!

I got my new filter today. Same design for the most part, but it looks better without the chrome ring at the end. The new one has the lip that Gadget was talking about. You can see the lip in this picture...

The new one also has a different interior design - complete with logos that you will never get to show off without a picture like this.

You can see how far I had the old one on. The bad thing is I had no idea that it was on that far. As Gadget was stating earlier, this disrupts the air flow that this setup was designed to produce. No wonder my MAF was throwing codes!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
i know this is an old thread but i didn't wanna start a new one

gadget, you said that the TCAI comes with the blue intake?
cuz mine came with a red one, and when it's on the intake tube it doesn't have the filter on the right side/top part. just the main filter that wraps around the center.

i've also had problems with the CEL light
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
Bigjoe311
BigJoe311 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
BigJoe311's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BigJoe311
its brand new? and its a cai?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #17
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Can you give me the deminsions on the filter opening please?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
i know this is an old thread but i didn't wanna start a new one

gadget, you said that the TCAI comes with the blue intake?
cuz mine came with a red one, and when it's on the intake tube it doesn't have the filter on the right side/top part. just the main filter that wraps around the center.

i've also had problems with the CEL light
Sorry about getting the wrong filter shipped to you a long time ago.

Your replacement filter is shipping tomorrow!!

Gadget
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, thanks gadget. I really appreciate you correcting the issue