1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Stage III Clutch Kit + Lightweight Flywheel Installed

Discussion in 'Underdog Racing Development' started by AlexForbesR6, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Nov 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 [OP] My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    O.K.
    So as some of you may already know, my clutch recently went out...and by went out i mean i couldn't even get it in first until a minute after i had taken my foot off the clutch pedal. :( Also i had only bought my truck used about 6 months ago.

Of course the stealership told me it was the clutch and flywheel and they quoted me around 1600 after tax to get it fixed. Since this was the clutch it would not be covered by my extended warranty which i paid $2500 for because that is one of 2-3 things that aren't covered.:mad:

That made me think, if i am going to have to spend the money why spend it on the OEM stuff if it is just going to break...so i started looking around and asking people(by "people" i mean you good 'ole TW friends!) and i was lead to URD's selection of performance clutches. They have a pretty reputable standing here on TW and a lot of their stuff is very Toyota Tacoma specific so i thought it would be my best bet. They have three choices of clutch kit...Stage 2,3,and 4. I went with the Stage 3 because i figured i would be upgrading to a supercharger in a couple of years so why not get something that can handle it much better yet wont affect my driveability until i get it. I also got the Lightweight flywheel they offer which is around 40 % lighter than stock so that gives me faster acceleration too. Now here is the best part...for both of those parts they have a package deal and it cost me $770, which with tax and shipping put me at around $850. So with that, a new throwout bearing( $110 from the stealership) and my local transmission shop did all the work and resealed the trans for $500 i came out paying around $100 less than what i was quoted at the dealer and its was with MUCH better quality parts. Also i had called Gadget to ask a couple of questions and he told me everything i needed to know and was very helpful. I got the arts in about 3-4 days after i ordered them too and i had instant email notifications from them when it shipped with a tracking number and all.

So i picked it up from the shop last night and WOW:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It feels like a completely different truck...the clutch engages so much faster, easier, and more solidly than stock...The pedal is a LOT lighter and springier to push in... as a test i had my gf try to push it it which she was barely able to when it was stock and she did it easily...

and as for the flywheel...it made a BIG difference in acceleration...it is FAST. I even beat my friends VR6 Jetta in a race...which i had tried a while ago stock and i was quite a bit behind him...the shifts are smooth and DAMN fast compared to stock...you can quickly engage and disengage the clutch and it pops into gear sooooo much easier and faster...and as soon as you take your foot off the clutch it is locked into that gear SOLID!!!

Overall i a SUPER happy...i had to take out a small loan to pay for it and since i saved a bit of money anyways it has really turned a horrible situation into an awesome yet kinda expensive one... If you have the money to do this and you are looking for that extra oomph in performance it is WELL worth the money.
    URD has made me a VERY happy camper.

Thank you SOOOO much for selling AMAZING products specifucaclly for our trucks..

i will definitely be buying more goodies from you guys in the future.
    :D

BassAckwards and genghis_khan like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Good story. I'm glad it was such a positive experience.

3. Nov 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    ^^Me too...
    i was soooo pissed when i found out i was SOL with the warranty..

then after i got it back i was :D and i still am!!!

haha

BassAckwards likes this.
  4. Nov 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    AlexForbesR6

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    oooo...i just got back from driving it some more...awesome

haha im like a little kid at christmas!!

5. Nov 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    great to hear man. I'll definitely be upgrading mine to one of these kits when it eventually needs to be replaced.

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    MARC

MARC Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Lake Norman NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    I just installed the new t/o bearing from psk with stage III clutch and flywheel from urd (competition clutch). I have to say I am not impressed with the clutch and flywheel. The clutch makes a terribe chatter/moaning sound during takeoff at semi hi rpm and i do not notice much if any hp gain from the flywheel. Any sound like that coming from your clutch? btw, this thread convinced me to go with the urd setup but now im sorry I didnt stick with stock. I did not replace my clutch because it was bad, only because I was replacing my t/o bearing and had to pull my tranny anyways. Your clutch must have been in bad shape if you prefer the stage 3 one.

7. May 4, 2016 at 3:06 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    sounds like homeboy's never driven a manual tranny before... if you think a lightweight flywheel didn't help your hp at all... you're an idiot. A flywheel would never give you 'more hp', it just might limit parasitic loss of hp through the drivetrain, but even thats a stretch. probably it will only limit loss of hp through friction/heat with the old clutch slipping a lot. But i digress, the flywheels main purpose in this case would be to allow the motor to rev more freely both up and down. Basically, instead of having to give the flywheel 5 seconds between shifts to slowly rev down, you should be able to slam in the clutch, move the shifter, and let the clutch out basically right after another now instead of waiting for rpms to drop. You won't be more powerful, but I bet your 0-60 time could confirm that it was an upgrade though

8. Feb 2, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    genghis_khan

genghis_khan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro Barcelona Red 6 speed manual/ 2016 Lexus ES300H
    Afe throttle body spacer TRD cold air intake Windshield tints Morimoto LED reverse lights Morimoto HID 5500K lights w/ carbon fiber brackets LED license plate lights Black Weather tech hood visor Century Tonneau Cover
    i would definitely want this for my 2017 when it comes out.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  9. Feb 5, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    ptm

ptm Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 887s and 3 Leaf AAL Progressive TRD Quickshift TRD Shifter Knob URD Stage III Clutch URD 3" SS Exhaust Diff Drop Performance Steering Bushings Stealth Custom Series 17" SR8s 285 70 17s Toyo Open Country AT IIs Leather throughout, include leather padded steering wheel, shift boot and armrest HomeTaco Grill
    Hi Alex,

Any update on your URD stage 3 clutch setup? Still happy?

10. Mar 2, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI Catch Can After market dual exhaust Heated Mirror Kit Install Aftermarket Head and Tail lights Several accessory Mods
    @AlexForbes @MARC any update on your stage III clutch? I'd like to know as well.
    I, like many, have a chirping Throw Bearing. And figure while I have the transmission pulled off might as well replace clutch and friction plate (and flywheel?). My Taco is SC'ed so URD's claim that their stage III clutch is suitable for a forced engine.

Won't get the TB for another several months. But till then might as well do the research.

Any feedback, input from anyone who's gone through this (or just replaced all with OEM parts) would be appreciated!!

11. Mar 3, 2017 at 3:17 AM
    ptm

ptm Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 887s and 3 Leaf AAL Progressive TRD Quickshift TRD Shifter Knob URD Stage III Clutch URD 3" SS Exhaust Diff Drop Performance Steering Bushings Stealth Custom Series 17" SR8s 285 70 17s Toyo Open Country AT IIs Leather throughout, include leather padded steering wheel, shift boot and armrest HomeTaco Grill
    I'll give you an update as soon as I get the truck back with the new URD clutch installed. Should be next week at the latest.

12. Mar 13, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    easylifeforthewayisay

easylifeforthewayisay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drews,
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 05
    camper, radio, camera
    Member Tacoma Urdusa.com stage II clutch upgrade vs a stage III ? review of your clutch too ? I drive a stick v6 4.0L stock tacoma I hear urd is on for 1100 including parts for clutch, flywheel Pressure plate, and Hydro-bearing Tob have you done this?.

13. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:11 PM
    JDohms

JDohms Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Vehicle:
    2007 X-runner- 1996 V6 4X4 Manual
    Hey Guys, my clutch was worn as well and decided to go the same route with URD parts, they are being installed as we speak, I will keep you guys in the loop when i get it back, i went with the lightweight flywheel and the stage II clutch. I am using Toyota T/O bearing also! looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
    my truck is a 2006 X-runner 4.0 6 Speed.

14. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Nice, damn your Toyota dealership is cheap for a clutch job compared to mine. They quoted me $2,500 for a OEM clutch job and flywheel resurfacing on my 04.

edit: just saw the OP is from '09....fooled again

BassAckwards likes this.
  15. Mar 26, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI Catch Can After market dual exhaust Heated Mirror Kit Install Aftermarket Head and Tail lights Several accessory Mods
    Any updates from anyone with their new clutch plate?

16. Mar 26, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    ptm

ptm Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    so far, the clutch is great!

BassAckwards likes this.
  17. Jun 7, 2017 at 11:35 AM
    kc1aei

kc1aei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Danvers, MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB 6 Speed
    Whelen CenCom Core, Lots of IONs, More to come!
    Just gonna jump on this thread too... How does the stage II feel in comparison to stock? I'm gonna have to get in touch with URD because I'm going to be needing a clutch soon.

18. Jun 7, 2017 at 11:36 AM
    ptm

ptm Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    The clutch is great! Super nice feel. I have the 45lb flywheel.

BassAckwards likes this.
  19. Jun 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    ptm

ptm Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD
    much nicer than stock, I am impressed with URD's solutions (I have purchased other components). I have no "connection" or reason to plug URD, in fact, Gadget knows his stuff but he isn't the most friendly guy to talk with.

N/Es06 likes this.
  20. Feb 6, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Back from the dead thread.
    I’m looking into a new clutch/TOB kit, clutch is slipping and the birds are chirping.

BassAckwards likes this.
To Top