1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD supercharger for 05+ 4 bangers?

Discussion in 'Underdog Racing Development' started by i2andom81, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    ;) and I really won't. I was more trying to make a point that it's just easier to start with the 80mm over the 85mm. Saves a step.

2. Jul 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    yeah i would rather just get the kit sent with the 80mm pulley too since i would end up buying it anyway, i also have LCE headers and would just assume take it and get it tuned on a dyno. Not every motor is exactly the same anyway, if you were to dyno all the guys motors in this thread, stock vs. stock, bolt-on parts vs. bolt-on parts, you wouldnt get the exact same numbers. I know the tune that Gadget puts on the ecu will be very well tuned but you never know basing it on individual motors especially if you have headers and exhaust.

Ill probably spend the extra $200 for an hour on the dyno and the satisfaction that i know my exact numbers, not just basing them off the dyno chart on here, and that i know it is tuned specifically for my motor and to its full potential!

Gadget, you say those numbers are on roughly 10 psi, do you recommend running 10 or is 8 more in the recommended range and your taking a chance running 10???

3. Jul 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    MartyMcfly

MartyMcfly Time Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pahrump Nevada
    Vehicle:
    15' 4runner Limited 4wd
    see Build page for details.

Or know a guy that doesn't even bother to pop the hood when smogging... :spy:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jul 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Or live in a state like Alabama where we have no emissions testing whatsoever, let alone garbage like CARB. :p

5. Jul 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. And besides he wants the first ten to go to people in the area? Say I'm ready to buy now, I would have no choice but to go to a speed shop and have it dialed in. I personally want to run 8 psi until after market valve/cam/piston kits come put. 10 psi is no bueno on these engines, don't care what anyone says. They are not as internally stout as even smaller 2.0's that say Mitsubishi puts out. This kit is great but as a 4 cylinder community we should be taking baby steps with boost.

6. Jul 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Um. Wow.

He said it'd be nice for the first few to go to people in the area so he can verify the tune on a totally stock truck. I don't believe he was going to refuse to sell you a kit?

You would have no choice in what way? It's set for 8psi right now. Buy the kit.

And lastly, on what do you base your assertion about 10PSI? I'm not even saying you're wrong, just that you're making random, erratic, baseless statements dude...

7. Jul 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Underdog777

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    That's mostly just me thinking out loud. I'm not here to bash on URD, just making an observation. I know it's a preference to where the first 10 are sold, and that it doesn't disqualify me, but I'm just playing devils advocate for people that may read and won't post what's on their mind.

If there is an 80mm pulley I would have a choice. He (Gadget) stated he would make the 80's available after a kit has been tuned w/ an 85 (which we have covered).

And the assertion about 10psi (again) is thinking out loud. This wouldn't be my first rodeo with boosting a 4 cylinder. What I am trying put out there is that the 2TR is not technically a boost ready engine. While it is a great platform, it's just not ready for a constant 10psi or greater boost pressure. Yes to an extent it will handle it with no issues, but like always shit will pop up, and believe you me, people will bitch because they didn't know what they got themselves into. When LC Engineering starts making beefy after market internals for these blocks, I'm all for 10, 15, 20 psi of boost. Again, only thinking out loud, this is not an attack or an attempt to discredit anyone's work, or knowledge.

8. Jul 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Even the stage 2 kit is not 10PSI constantly, that's peak. Unless you floor it literally everywhere you go... It's probably half of that in regular driving.

And I'm guessing he wants to sell the 80mm pulley and tune as an upgrade, as he does with the v6. Because he does this, you know, to make money. ;)

9. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    4cyltacoma

4cyltacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reagan
    Fresno, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4Cyl 4x4
    AFE CAI, Black Housed Headlights, In Channel Window Visor, Bug Deflector, Black Side Step Tubes, Blacked out emblems
    Just a question out there. What's the expected gas mileage after u install the supercharger kit??

10. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    If you have to ask, supercharging is not right for you. :D

11. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Not necessarily true. If you floor it everywhere then yeah, your mileage will take a huge dump.

But supposedly if you drive on an even keel, you shouldn't see too much loss and may even see a benefit in highway driving (since you now do not have to downshift + you gain increased engine efficiency with a blower in low boost.)

So apparently, like everything else mpg-related, it depends on the driver. I'll be taking my truck on a 2-hour drive Sunday, and I'll report with an idea of what I see with highway cruising.

12. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    4cyltacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Reagan
    Fresno, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4Cyl 4x4
    AFE CAI, Black Housed Headlights, In Channel Window Visor, Bug Deflector, Black Side Step Tubes, Blacked out emblems
    Im just saying. The truck is my toy but just wondering what the expected gas mileage is going to be

13. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    Murd3rd

Murd3rd I believe I Toyota harder than most

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    00.5 Reg Cab Slammed, Turbo'd/19 TRD OR 6MT S/C
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    as much as your right foot will allow, if you drive normal, you shouldnt see any changes, if normal for you is sideways full throttle around every corner then you'll see a significant drop...:wink:

14. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    4cyltacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Reagan
    Fresno, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4Cyl 4x4
    Sounds good. And tell us how much of a differnece it really makes with the superchrager. I know its already making a difference with the dyno chart gadget put up, but in ur personal opinion how it feels with that kit underneath the hood. XD

15. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Dude I'm gonna post video in my build thread for this one, for sure!

(Otherwise my buddies back home will kill me, they're about as anxious to see the truck as I am.)

16. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    4cyltacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Reagan
    Fresno, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4Cyl 4x4
    Hana im pretty sure they will. XD ill also be waiting for the build thread also. XD

17. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    While you are correct, there's a very simple algorithm I use to justify my previous claim. You have a supercharger = you will use it. There's no such thing as even keel and supercharged (unless you go a tank just to prove numbers and justify it to someone).

I've yet to find a single person out there that puts the investment into a supercharger to drive the same way they did before supercharging. You're adding power for a reason and power is not free.

As for the extra MPG's at highway speed, its not cause of the blower. It's cause you're running premium instead of 87. I get the same highway mpg's with the blower on the highway now as I did pre-charger when I ran premium (but better when i ran on 87).

That being said, I'm still averaging only 1-2 mpg less in town than I was before supercharging. Highway is pretty much a wash unless I'm heading up to Tahoe, in which case its 2-3 mpg less.

18. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    We'll see what I actually do. I suspect I'll floor it for the first couple weeks, and then I'll go back to driving like a sane human being.

Premium does not help my gas mileage, been there and tried that. If I see an increase, it is not premium gas, it is that I can actually go up a hill in fifth without having to downshift and go to 3,000 RPM (despite the fact that fifth now inherently uses more gasoline thanks to the supercharger).

An additional note that may skew the results is that I got 19-20 before, but that was with a clogged cat. So having that fixed will certainly help by itself.

19. Jul 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Just to be clear too, I obviously didn't throw on a blower for the mileage! I'll be very happy if I can get 20 (hopefully 22, like I said, fixed the cat) highway out of it like I did when I first broke it in. I thought my decrease to 19-20 was because of the tires, but apparently maybe not.

20. Jul 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    For the 4 banger I can see premium not making a difference. On my 3.4 it was an obvious. I'm meticulous about calculating mpg every tank. On my Tundra 4.7 its redonculous the difference premium makes. Its actually cheaper for me to run premium. But in the end, boost is boost. Doesn't matter how many cyliners you have. You will consume more fuel.

To Top