1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD tcai piping temperature

Discussion in 'Underdog Racing Development' started by SoCalTacos, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jul 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos [OP] Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    So I was at my buddies shop the other day checking some things under the hood. I happen to touch the intake piping on the urd setup and noticed it was extremely hot. I pulled out the laser thermometer and It read 121 at the hottest spot. The maf sensor read 116. Is this normal?
    If I changed out the pipes for plastics would it help keep the temp down?
    It concerns me because a week ago my check engine and trac off lights switched on. I checked the code and it read 'high temp air flow'...forgot the code.
    Please someone explain this to me.

2. Aug 26, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    I never heard such a thing.

In our testing getting the air outside of the engine compartment like we do always gave us a very consistent 30* reduction in IAT while moving down the road over getting that air from anywhere else under the hood.

G

3. Aug 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos [OP] Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Yeah, neither I nor my buddy that works on high performance parts had ever experienced such high temps either. His suggestion was to wrap the piping to keep the temps down. Looks ugly, but I may have to.

4. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I would see heatsoak while idling in hot weather, but should cool down quick after moving.

In 110 degree weather, I never had an issue with the urd setup. I did notice the intake tube would be warm sometimes and I thought about heat wrap also. But... I don't know exactly how well the wrap dissipates heat compared to resisting so I never followed through.

I was afraid that once the wrap warmed up due to idling in hot weather at red light, drive thru, or if there was a prolonged stop due to construction, that maybe the wrap would end up insulating the heat and take longer to cool the piping down after movement commenced.

Again, I've never wrapped anything and don't know the properties so I may be completely wrong in my thought. I can't try it now tho because I went back to an afe with the blower install.

I do miss the urd tho..... That is the best sounding intake I have ever had.... Yet remained completely civil from in the cabin. Sometimes I have the urge to buy another and try it. Not sure how much work it takes to work around the trd intercooler tho.

To Top