Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Underdog Racing Development (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/underdog-racing-development/)
-   -   URD Stage III Clutch Kit + Lightweight Flywheel Installed (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/underdog-racing-development/62455-urd-stage-iii-clutch-kit-lightweight-flywheel-installed.html)

AlexForbesR6 11-25-2009 08:38 PM

URD Stage III Clutch Kit + Lightweight Flywheel Installed

O.K.
So as some of you may already know, my clutch recently went out...and by went out i mean i couldn't even get it in first until a minute after i had taken my foot off the clutch pedal. :( Also i had only bought my truck used about 6 months ago.

Of course the stealership told me it was the clutch and flywheel and they quoted me around 1600 after tax to get it fixed. Since this was the clutch it would not be covered by my extended warranty which i paid $2500 for because that is one of 2-3 things that aren't covered.:mad:

That made me think, if i am going to have to spend the money why spend it on the OEM stuff if it is just going to break...so i started looking around and asking people(by "people" i mean you good 'ole TW friends!) and i was lead to URD's selection of performance clutches. They have a pretty reputable standing here on TW and a lot of their stuff is very Toyota Tacoma specific so i thought it would be my best bet. They have three choices of clutch kit...Stage 2,3,and 4. I went with the Stage 3 because i figured i would be upgrading to a supercharger in a couple of years so why not get something that can handle it much better yet wont affect my driveability until i get it. I also got the Lightweight flywheel they offer which is around 40 % lighter than stock so that gives me faster acceleration too. Now here is the best part...for both of those parts they have a package deal and it cost me $770, which with tax and shipping put me at around $850. So with that, a new throwout bearing( $110 from the stealership) and my local transmission shop did all the work and resealed the trans for $500 i came out paying around $100 less than what i was quoted at the dealer and its was with MUCH better quality parts. Also i had called Gadget to ask a couple of questions and he told me everything i needed to know and was very helpful. I got the arts in about 3-4 days after i ordered them too and i had instant email notifications from them when it shipped with a tracking number and all.

So i picked it up from the shop last night and WOW:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It feels like a completely different truck...the clutch engages so much faster, easier, and more solidly than stock...The pedal is a LOT lighter and springier to push in... as a test i had my gf try to push it it which she was barely able to when it was stock and she did it easily...

and as for the flywheel...it made a BIG difference in acceleration...it is FAST. I even beat my friends VR6 Jetta in a race...which i had tried a while ago stock and i was quite a bit behind him...the shifts are smooth and DAMN fast compared to stock...you can quickly engage and disengage the clutch and it pops into gear sooooo much easier and faster...and as soon as you take your foot off the clutch it is locked into that gear SOLID!!!

Overall i a SUPER happy...i had to take out a small loan to pay for it and since i saved a bit of money anyways it has really turned a horrible situation into an awesome yet kinda expensive one... If you have the money to do this and you are looking for that extra oomph in performance it is WELL worth the money.
URD has made me a VERY happy camper.

Thank you SOOOO much for selling AMAZING products specifucaclly for our trucks..

i will definitely be buying more goodies from you guys in the future.
:D

Jason'sLawnCare 11-25-2009 08:48 PM

Good story. I'm glad it was such a positive experience.

AlexForbesR6 11-25-2009 08:58 PM

^^Me too...
i was soooo pissed when i found out i was SOL with the warranty..

then after i got it back i was :D and i still am!!!

haha

AlexForbesR6 11-26-2009 12:23 AM

oooo...i just got back from driving it some more...awesome

haha im like a little kid at christmas!!

RelentlessTaco 11-26-2009 01:15 AM

great to hear man. I'll definitely be upgrading mine to one of these kits when it eventually needs to be replaced.

MARC 10-29-2010 03:38 PM

I just installed the new t/o bearing from psk with stage III clutch and flywheel from urd (competition clutch). I have to say I am not impressed with the clutch and flywheel. The clutch makes a terribe chatter/moaning sound during takeoff at semi hi rpm and i do not notice much if any hp gain from the flywheel. Any sound like that coming from your clutch? btw, this thread convinced me to go with the urd setup but now im sorry I didnt stick with stock. I did not replace my clutch because it was bad, only because I was replacing my t/o bearing and had to pull my tranny anyways. Your clutch must have been in bad shape if you prefer the stage 3 one.