1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wheelparts.com & pro comp what are they thinking?!?!?

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by stunt man hans, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans [OP] DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i started this thread with the hopes of saving another guy or gal on here the trouble of dealing with either of these company's.

when i was ordering my pro comp 3 inch coil lift kit i had the sales rep transfer me to customer service then the manger conferenced called a pro comp technician. the tech named kirby awnsered all my questions very dismissively like he just "yessed" me to death when all i was trying to do was discus the spring rates and possibility of getting more than the stated 3 inches of lift and retaining the use of my factory uca's.

well here's what the shop who installed the kit said tada! 4.75 inches of lift on the day of the install! my response was holy shit balls this is going to kill my truck! the shop told me to drive it for 2 weeks or 500 miles then we would see where it began to settle to i agreed and let the problem go for just over 2 1/2 weeks. after the two weeks and over 500 miles it sitting at 4 3/8 inches. plus i ended up needing the control arms after all! the shop told me it would be unsafe to drive on the factory control arms due to the alignment being so far out of whack lol

i finally called to try and get some assistance with the problem and the events that followed led me to have the worst customer service experience in my life.

first i spoke with a customer service lackey lol he tried to sell me parts to fix their mistake more on this later... then i called pro comp and talked to a tech named jeff blakeley he informed me the kit was only intended for V6 models of tacomas and that the spring rates where much to high for any 4cyl tacoma unless running armor and plate bumpers and even then it was pushing it. sounded correct so i had him call 4wp's and i got in touch with marcos a manager in customer service.

he once again tried selling me parts or a bumper to fix the problem! i then escalated the situation the a jeff brown a general manager of customer service who is the end of the line or so i was told:rolleyes: he lowered the price on the bumper seeing as how they refuse to pay labor i can't pay to swap out the entire suspension myself twice that would come very close to 1,600 for installation!

so at this point the solution was obvious the arb bull bar would begin to solve the problem or fix it completely at the very least it would lower the truck enough in the front to ease the angle of the cv boots so they would not be rubbing together. either way at this point given my options this is what would satisfy me and they want me to pay 700 dollars for it:eek:

the spring rates are very close to the ome 886 coil and thats what arb recommends for my truck when running their bumper. 4wp's and pro comp both dropped the ball on this big time now they are not going to fix it with out me spending a considerable amount of my money to do it.

i do not bash company's or take what i'm saying here lightly. i respect store policies and i'm absolutely not looking for a hand out! i like and built my truck exactly the way i wanted it with certain skids and a light bar and specific sized tires and in no way had i intended on running a plate bumper. i, like a lot of guy's had kicked around the idea but, in the end just could not see the actual need for it as i don't go off road all that much. i just wanted to let 4wp's know that i gave them two days on the phone to make this right for me this could end up really screwing with my new truck here. it could possibly hurt the differential or the bearings and the boots and god knows what else its just flat out not right the way it sits right this minute. i asked for a solution and they just flashed me attitude and excuses but, in the end even they could not shift the blame away from them selves yet they still do nothing.

post your problems as i would bet my life there are more out there. thanks for looking it just may save you a lot of trouble...

2. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    4wheelparts= Wal-mart. sorry mate you had to learn the hard way. I miss your sig of He-Man blowing his wad on all sorts of different blokes.

3. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    lol idk know what happened to it? that shit was funny tho!

4. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    NEVER can you count on 4Wparts, I wont deal with them only because of several horror stories I've heard of them and their shitty business practice.

That and one time I called to see if they had some OME coils in stock and they were constantly pushing me to go with a full pro comp kit even though I said no thanks several times. Nothing against the pro comp lifts but it wasnt what I was looking for but they got annoying quickly.

5. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:18 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    yeah dude i thought a large company like 4wp's would have a better response than that.
    i do not know how they can sell a person a set-up like this thats completely wrong for their application. i mean christ the pro comp rep admitted it to me over the phone with the customer service manager on conference! and they still want me to pay for shit.

lol it's not even fair to glom wal-mart and 4wp's in the same sentence together let alone compare them in terms of customer service. 4wp's has to be the worst experience i have ever had when buying a product they are dicks plain and simple:)

6. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Shitty deal for you Hans

7. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    The parts counter guys there irritate me from the second I walk in. (or, used to walk in) They BS their way through everything when in reality I don't think any of them truly know what they're talking about when it comes to the tech stuff. ORW here is much better, seems 4WP has turned into a tire wheel place. My friend had a Tundra lifted and they had to trim part of the lower control arms and it looked like they used a sawzall while blindfolded. Didn't surprise me though.

Hey, they're a vendor here, maybe they'll see this and step up and make it right....or maybe not. ([]:-(

8. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    lol i'm a tard because i cruised around here for awhile trying to narrow down a complete lift that would be pretty decent. all signs pointed to ome i read your build thread and a ton of other guys e-speck i knew i should have chose ome but, at the last minute i went with the pro comp serves me right lol.

i did the kitty liter on the radiator test the other day and we figured out the bull bar would correct most of the issue even though it would still be a little over 3 inches. me and oswego took some informal measurements the other day. my down travel is only an inch lol! which is better than what i had originally thought it would be but the shocks still bottom out something terrible over rough roads and its way past three inches.

lol my drivers side inner cv boot has a nice little groove in it already in just a couple hundred miles lol i don't think they will last until the next oil change. i would have no problem just saying to hell with it and buying the ome kit taking care of the problem once and for all but, i'm broke as fuck:laugh:

9. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:58 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i sure hope so that would really make things easier on me. i run a small business and saved up all winter to do this stuff now i have spent all my money on the lift and the other stuff to finish off the big things on the mod wish list.

now my wife is laying into me for it as well lol like its my fault the lift is wrong.

10. Jul 17, 2011 at 1:06 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Is there a diff drop on it? It'll help the CV's.

Yeah, sometimes it's best to not spill too much the wife. Just tell her everything's fine, you made a mistake, you were wrong and love it, then take her to dinner & a movie. ;)

11. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    yes sir, they recommended a diff drop and i had the shop install it. i'm sure if i opted to not put it on something would have broke already. its very close up front not to mention it has zero articulation.

lol its like there are blocks providing the lift up front its stiff and the shocks are constantly bottoming out. since the lift the truck try's to change lanes all by itself when ever i hit a bump. it either needs a completely new suspension or it needs a big ass bumper hanging off the nose to compensate for spring rate.

12. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    thanks beefed i hope they fix it for me. when the tech pulled the truck around to road test it i knew something was amiss even from like 40 feet away it looked way to big lol i thought they installed the wrong lift at first.

my first thought went to vibes and your carrier bearing drop lol. no shit shit i thought they installed a db lift on it but, no its was the just the three inch kit. don't get me wrong it looks fucking great but, its going kill my truck at some point in the near future.

think about it if guy's could get away with running a 4.5 or 5 inch lift with out a drop bracket the ground clearance would be awesome but its just not possible with this type of kit. they really have no idea what they are selling fucking not a single clue was given that any thing like this would even be possible. i even to pro comp techs on my own before the kit arrived and i got the same awnser.

only after i installed it did i hear that it was not meant for the 4cyls lol unbelievable.

13. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Would you be interested in selling the lift so you can buy the other one? I'm close by. Live near KOP and work in Claymont, DE

14. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    my wife has a secret weapon,,, it's called a vagina:) dude i tell her everything i come to find out over the years it's just better that way lol.

15. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    sure.. it's not about that though they offered to take the kit back and refund me my money but, i paid 800 dollars for the initial install and that is on me according to them. then i would have no lift and a 295-70-17 tire size which would be impossible to run on the factory suspension.

i'm completely at there mercy here, and worst comes to worst i will have to buy a spacer lift and hope i can find a local guy to halp me swap everything out and put the spacers in lol and i guess the 800 dollars to instal the wrong lift for my truck just doesn't matter to them thats pretty fucked up:)

16. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    and if i just went for a new lift it would be the ome kit and they start at around 750$ this lift cost me 465.00 so i would be paying labor again and the difference in the cost of the lifts.

all because they sold me a lift that was never intended for my model tacoma. yet if you look on their website and search for lifts through their model specific system this lift still comes up as a choice for the 4cyl regular cab!this might not seem that bad but, i first brought this to their attention monday of last week:facepalm:

i can smell it from here some other poor bastard rolling in a 4cyl is gonna pick this lift up and be like wtf is going on here why did i get 6 inches of lift lol:bananadead:

17. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Iakopa84

Iakopa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Aries Grille Guard, PIAA 520 xtreme ATP lights, K&N high-flow intake, 2.5" velocity front leveling kit
    I think ORW is a lot better than 4WP any day of the week! All the reps working at the 4WP I've been to seem like beefcakes who are competing with each other how many tattoos they can get. I ordered some wheels online from 4WP and didn't like the way they looked in person... so I returned them to the store. The dude there was all irritated that I was exchanging them, saying that this is what happens with 98% of people who order something online and that I should never order anything online from them, but do it in person.

Also, when I had my leveling kit installed, I got an estimate from both ORW and 4WP. 4 Wheel Parts wanted $240 for the install and $130 for the alignment. I got the install and alignment from ORW for $260. I'll be going to ORW for my truck needs from now on!

18. Jul 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    haha when i ordered the kit i checked online ith their model specific lift kit search function this lift came up. i then called 4wp's and spoke to a sales rep who took all my info but, before completing the order i had him transfer me to a customer service manager at 4wp's.

from there the manager proceeded to conference call kirby a tech at pro comp who i was told btw was an engineer and help i the development of the kit i was inquiring about:laugh::jerkoff:

i asked him about all of these specific questions, questions mind you pertain to the exact problem i'm having now! he just said yes yes it will work perfect. oh and btw every single thing that came out of kirby's mouth was dead wrong:eek: he had no idea what he was talking about. and he is not an engineer either, come to find out he is just a phone tech who is way to full of himself apparently.

so they transfered me back to the sales repp who then completed the transaction. i thought i was good as a matter of fact at that point i had talked to three people and had a conference call with one of the engineers of the kit:facepalm: i honestly did not think that after all that i would not have the correct information. i didn't just use the google machine to order parts willy nilly.

19. Jul 17, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    End result is you gotta get the Procomp lift off , get your money back and install the OME kit so you can use your new wheels and tires , no ?

20. Jul 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    point taken ORW is the place to go instead of 4wp's. it cracks me up i mean who the fuck just lies to a customer's face and tells them they developed the the fucking kit because their an engineer. omg since i first posted about this there seems to be a trend of unprofessionalism attitudes and misinformation flying around at 4wp's this seems to be what they excel in.

To Top