1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My relentless fab experience

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by mgrande, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Thought I would write about/review my bumper. I ordered my bumper back on september 18th 2011. I was given a lead time of 3 months, which was fine with me and would have me getting my bumper mid december. Maybe a month or so after the order I rear ended some one and contacted eric to make sure my bumper would be done in time that way I wouldn't have to worry about fixing it since I would be swapping it out anyway. He ensured me that I would have my bumper on time. Around mid december I asked about my bumper and eric let me know he had been busy so I should get it the first week of january. Mid january I asked again about my bumper. I was told 3 more weeks. On february 1st Eric informed me that my bumper would be built and shipped the next week. My bumper eventually shipped march 1st or the tuesday before (feb 28th). When I finally got my bumper it was right at 6 months. Double the time I was told.

Overall I hated my experience with the order. I generally have little patience to begin with. So this had me pretty upset. I also felt like I was getting the run around most of the time. My sliders and rear bumper are CBI, I had them in 3 weeks and not only was the quality top notch and on time, thier customer service was great with emails and phone calls about tracking my order. Same with my old truck when I had demello sliders. Relentless uses fastenal, which has no traking service and when I would call the people sounded clueless.

Most of the welds on the bumper looked decent, but some looked rushed and sloppy. It's a shame considering how long it took. Also the bumper itself is a little uneven, while on the ground it had only 3 points of contact instead of four. This also is clear after I mounted it and one side is touching the fender slightly while the other is off of it.

Overall I'm not sure I would do it again. I love the design and wanted an aluminum bumper to save weight but looking back a steel bumper in a reasonable time frame seems tempting. I think the biggest shame of all this is that I originally planned to get Relentless skids and a bed bar later on, but I wont be doing business with the company again.

Here are some pics. Like I said it's aluminum, and linex'd like the rest of my armor.
    2012-03-24_13-12-46_366_1c1cbd3f83b59fc1c877955b5f8eef193cc17e7a.jpg
    2012-03-24_13-12-59_131_670af9061f18ecb17151b9832645f0736d0c135a.jpg
    2012-03-24_13-13-46_931_fa04d0bb29f38837d2ea840bdaecb93424d8eada.jpg
    2012-03-24_13-13-39_289_4c6145a277f2bc9001a751783103b8d62641e427.jpg
    2012-03-24_13-12-33_471_8e77d8a856c269c6020f99afb21bddc6685d4c83.jpg

Also I never saw anyone mention it before, but in order to mount the little brace pieces I had to drill through my resi mounts. No big deal, just a heads up.

Also It's not my intention to bash relentless or keep people from buying his stuff. Just wanted to share my experience. I really hope relentless works on getting better all around, their designs are great and innovative.

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    bskin

bskin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Thanks for the heads up on the resi mounts, I ordered an elite bumper and was wondering about that.

3. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
    Yeah six months is a pretty big time to be waiting for a bumper, definitely should be faster Imo considering you are paying him pretty good money, thanks for the heads up

4. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    tacos

tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    05 A/C Off Road 4x4
    BHLM,5100's set 2.5,Toytec 2" aal,FJ TRD wheels,AFE pro-dry, Duratracs
    For the price you paid, your order should be filled in a timely manner, not just in someone's spare time. 6 months is way too long, thanks for sharing.

5. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Looks sick though, I ordered my set three weeks or so ago, I had read very similar stories, but went into it knowing that and Eric was very up front about the time. I was told 5 months min.
    However I think his front armor is the best looking, and I wanted an aluminum front as well, for the weight savings and non rustablity.
    Are you happy with the aluminum? I was concerned about how strong they are, do yours seem pretty sturdy?
    Also did you use a two part primer on the aluminum before painting?

6. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Nice write up mike, always good when people share their experiences. And the right side of that bumper looks great, not so much on the left. But still a good looking bumper all around.

7. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    6 months + its not right?

that would sure make me one unhappy camper. :mad:

8. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I think you need to only adjust the bumper for perfect fit.

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Thanks guys. The aluminum seems good to me. I'm not exactly sure what they did but the linex shop mentioned having to do something different for the aluminum.

10. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    The long wait time is exactly what deterred me from ordering from Relentless when the money was on the table and it was time to place an order. However, like it was said already, I was aware of the long lead time. As for the fit, I would definitely say it is sub par on your particular bumper. Looks twisted for sure. Probably got tweaked in the process of welding. Aluminum has a strong tendency to do that and takes LOT of heat to fuse. Bummer dude. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you and Relentless can work something out to make you happy in the end.

11. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    That bumper looks sick. It's unfortunate you got the bad experience you did though. 6 months is hella long.

12. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Yeah it is def tweaked. I played around with it for while but that was the best I could get it. I may try it again latter down the road.

13. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    No bueno

14. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I wonder if you could force a rotation in the left side by the use of some washers under the mounting locations at the front on the left side

15. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    X2

16. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    you will have clunking sound coming from the bumper hitting the fender line. try to adjust a bit to see if you can get more "gap" on the fender.

17. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Essentially he is a one man show and hand crafts all his armor, so the lead time is high, but FWIW Eric's really trying to bring that down.

Not sure how many guys work at CBI.

Did you let him know you were unhappy with the delays and fitment?

Edit: I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be unhappy, just stating...

18. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Aluminum warps a lot in the welding process. Not every bumper is going to be 100% perfect when you oreder totally custom. Especially with aluminum. The reason his lead time is so long is because he has so many projects lined up to begin with, and to get the quality he alone produces takes time.

I'm sorry your experience wasn't the best. You should PM Eric about these issues.

And try what OZ mentioned with the washers.

19. Mar 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Im aware its a one man shop, but thats not a legit excuse for a buisness. I know he's working on getting help and i hope it address the issues.

20. Mar 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    That's a pretty crappy rebuttal post...the product was promised in 3 months and was delayed MULTIPLE times, not just once. That on it's own is terrible business practice...If you can't handle the business you should follow other small time vendors and only take orders when you can fill them in the promised time...

The bigger issue to me is how expensive the bumper is and the fact that the bumper was so late AND it isn't even straight. That is a load of crap and you should be giving the customer money back since you didn't provide the product he purchased and waited for.

This review and your pathetic response have struck your name off of my shortlist, hopefully you reevaluate your business strategies to improve quality and customer service.

For how much these bumpers are they should be perfect. These aren't guys working out of there garage, they are a legitimate company offering a product. If it won't be straight they need to advertise as such so the consumer can decide if a non-straight bumper is worth the money and wait time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top