Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Vendor Reviews

Notices

Defined Engineering

Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
He wasn't talking about Sua with a shackle flip, he was talking about SOA with shackle flip.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
He wasn't talking about Sua with a shackle flip, he was talking about SOA with shackle flip.
Gotcha, sorry, I got a little excited I guess just the greasable option would be nice to force out all the dust and dirt. The shackle flip gives you the ability to use longer shackles so you can have increased flex. At stock length, SOA and stock suspension, I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble for the shackle flip in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
These don't require a shackle fip, correct? I like the idea of a greasable shackle, might have to look into this as long as the flip kit isn't required.

You can just buy bushings and greaseable bolts and save some $$$.

When I saw these a year ago I looked into them. A flip kit is not required. While this is stronger then a grease bolt, I see no need to replace the whole hanger because the one model he offers is same as stock + if your looking to beef up your shackles chances are you will be changing your geometry anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Gotcha, sorry, I got a little excited I guess just the greasable option would be nice to force out all the dust and dirt. The shackle flip gives you the ability to use longer shackles so you can have increased flex. At stock length, SOA and stock suspension, I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble for the shackle flip in my opinion.
Ask the NE guys from the RC meet we were just on...
With stock 3 leaf pack and a wheelers 3leaf AAL attached to the ATO Shackle Flip with new RCD Billies I gained about 4" of down travel...
The only downfall is due to the longer shocks i had to temporarily limit the uptravel as to not bottom out the new shocks.
I have to get upper shock mounts fabbed like Patrick in order to complete the mod - or do a complete shock relo so they look like this = / \

Flexes like a champ now though.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
King of the grill
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You can just buy bushings and greaseable bolts and save some $$$.

When I saw these a year ago I looked into them. A flip kit is not required. While this is stronger then a grease bolt, I see no need to replace the whole hanger because the one model he offers is same as stock + if your looking to beef up your shackles chances are you will be changing your geometry anyway.
Beg to differ buddy!
The dimensions are the same but it is serviceable and a MUCH beefier product than the stock shackle.
Gotta stop by the g hetto at some point so you can see it.
Maybe do lunch.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Ask the NE guys from the RC meet we were just on...
With stock 3 leaf pack and a wheelers 3leaf AAL attached to the ATO Shackle Flip with new RCD Billies I gained about 4" of down travel...
The only downfall is due to the longer shocks i had to temporarily limit the uptravel as to not bottom out the new shocks.
I have to get upper shock mounts fabbed like Patrick in order to complete the mod - or do a complete shock relo so they look like this = / \

Flexes like a champ now though.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #27
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Reason I ask if because of the additional flex and IIRC I read in another thread that shackle flip would not.benefit on a LT SUA on the Tacoma. Curious why is all

Disregard sorry for the sidetrack, ill ask in the LT bs thread!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Beg to differ buddy!
The dimensions are the same but it is serviceable and a MUCH beefier product than the stock shackle.
Gotta stop by the g hetto at some point so you can see it.
Maybe do lunch.

They are the same exact geometry as stock. It's beefier and so are the bolts, but I haven't seen anyone break a stock one yet unless they literally bashed it into a rock backing up and that guy was a tool anyway.

For the majority of people if he isn't offering custom lengths it's not really something they need. Most the guys I know with crawlers make their own shackles out of 3/8" flat bar and that's exactly what Ill be doing 'someday' when I get my flip kit.

You can't dial that shackle length in like with flat bar or boomerang brackets. With a bolt on flip kit it would make it impossible to dial in your angles for the weight of your truck and leaf pack so you could end up with bad angles that will kill your pack and could make the ride bad.

IMO if your going as far to redesign the shackle itself and make it so beefy why not offer custom lengths? Personally I would love to run one after I dialed in where I wanted to be with flat stock. I would love to give him center to center dimensions from the bushings and have one made if ti was in the budget and time constraints.

The main use I see for these as they are being offered now is OE replacement for the guys who want to stop their squeaking asses.

Ill be looking to take a nice lunch when things die down here. Summer is bat shit crazy....ands thats why I need to stop typing so I can get my shit done and go home
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
King of the grill

Quote:
They are the same exact geometry as stock. It's beefier and so are the bolts, but I haven't seen anyone break a stock one yet unless they literally bashed it into a rock backing up and that guy was a tool anyway.

For the majority of people if he isn't offering custom lengths it's not really something they need. Most the guys I know with crawlers make their own shackles out of 3/8" flat bar and that's exactly what Ill be doing 'someday' when I get my flip kit.

You can't dial that shackle length in like with flat bar or boomerang brackets. With a bolt on flip kit it would make it impossible to dial in your angles for the weight of your truck and leaf pack so you could end up with bad angles that will kill your pack and could make the ride bad.

IMO if your going as far to redesign the shackle itself and make it so beefy why not offer custom lengths? Personally I would love to run one after I dialed in where I wanted to be with flat stock. I would love to give him center to center dimensions from the bushings and have one made if ti was in the budget and time constraints.

The main use I see for these as they are being offered now is OE replacement for the guys who want to stop their squeaking asses.

Ill be looking to take a nice lunch when things die down here. Summer is bat shit crazy....ands thats why I need to stop typing so I can get my shit done and go home
Get back to work!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #30
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
This would work with a shackle flip too im sure
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #31
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
This would work with a shackle flip too im sure
It will work fine with ATO, but you have no capabilities to fine tune it. It won't work with the other guy who made the shackle flip kit wider then a OE Toyota shackle for some reason I still can't seem to figure out

This one is wider then stock and not strait with leaves http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4956669
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
^^just can't please some people.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #33
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
^^just can't please some people.
There is a right way and a wrong way. When posting in a forum that has 85,000 members it's always nice for people to know what really is going on before they spend money on stuff. People could be reading this 7 years from now for research. I know when I research I like knowing the truth vs getting a sugar coated version of it. Sorry, but I don't pull punches and keep my mouth shut so people like me. I'd rather be hated and have helped people then conform and keep my trap shut.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is a right way and a wrong way. When posting in a forum that has 85,000 members it's always nice for people to know what really is going on before they spend money on stuff. People could be reading this 7 years from now for research. I know when I research I like knowing the truth vs getting a sugar coated version of it. Sorry, but I don't pull punches and keep my mouth shut so people like me. I'd rather be hated and have helped people then conform and keep my trap shut.

Very true. However you have not proved in any way that the way the other fabricator built his design wrong. It does not conform to your logic but your logic is not the only answer to all applications. Nothing to date states that the other design WILL compromise the trucks performance or other aftermarket parts life span.

You and I have gone down this road before in discussion and as I stated in the past the moment you change the tire size, lift the truck, modify the engine and so on you instantaneously change the manufacturer's projected outcome or projected lifespan for these trucks. Good or bad.

So far the design has worked perfect for my application and to date nothing adverse has been observed.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
s10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: nick
s10nick's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to s10nick
subbed for future
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #36
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
mine look a bit different than yours on the welded edges???

Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #37
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It will work fine with ATO, but you have no capabilities to fine tune it. It won't work with the other guy who made the shackle flip kit wider then a OE Toyota shackle for some reason I still can't seem to figure out
I'm not gonna get into that multi-adjustable design. It has its advantages (mostly adjustability), and its disadvantages (have been covered).

The ATO method is tunable to an extent, but it'd be a lot more work for the end user. You'd have to alter many variables at once to ensure your shackle mount point was correct. That said, it also doesn't offer the drawbacks of bushing and leaf spring misalignment and the potential wear and tear involved there.

We're all gonna approach this item a little differently. Some people may be ok with a bracket misaligned with the frame and are willing to make that sacrifice for the adjustability. I personally wasn't concerned with adjustability and wanted all the angles correct and the item durable and easily serviceable.

People can select their preference. I liked what I heard from Mike in his feedback though. Defined is probably the only other fab house I've seen that puts the attention to detail into their designs that ATO does. I've always been impressed with their work.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #39
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
mine look a bit different than yours on the welded edges???

Homer's set's welds look a little undercut, yours look stronger. Not sure why the welds zig zag back and forth though.

They are TIG welded though so that's a plus.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #40
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
mike said he tried something different than he usually does with my set, but they were the only ones i had seen so i didnt know what he did?