1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Defined Engineering

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by HomerTaco, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    He wasn't talking about Sua with a shackle flip, he was talking about SOA with shackle flip.

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Gotcha, sorry, I got a little excited :eek: I guess just the greasable option would be nice to force out all the dust and dirt. The shackle flip gives you the ability to use longer shackles so you can have increased flex. At stock length, SOA and stock suspension, I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble for the shackle flip in my opinion. :notsure:

3. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

You can just buy bushings and greaseable bolts and save some $$$.

When I saw these a year ago I looked into them. A flip kit is not required. While this is stronger then a grease bolt, I see no need to replace the whole hanger because the one model he offers is same as stock + if your looking to beef up your shackles chances are you will be changing your geometry anyway.

4. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Ask the NE guys from the RC meet we were just on...;)
    With stock 3 leaf pack and a wheelers 3leaf AAL attached to the ATO Shackle Flip with new RCD Billies I gained about 4" of down travel...
    The only downfall is due to the longer shocks i had to temporarily limit the uptravel as to not bottom out the new shocks.
    I have to get upper shock mounts fabbed like Patrick in order to complete the mod - or do a complete shock relo so they look like this = / \

Flexes like a champ now though.:cool:

5. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Beg to differ buddy!;)
    The dimensions are the same but it is serviceable and a MUCH beefier product than the stock shackle.
    Gotta stop by the g hetto at some point so you can see it. :D
    Maybe do lunch. :notsure:

6. Jul 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    :cool:

7. Jul 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Reason I ask if because of the additional flex and IIRC I read in another thread that shackle flip would not.benefit on a LT SUA on the Tacoma. Curious why is all

Disregard sorry for the sidetrack, ill ask in the LT bs thread!

8. Jul 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

They are the same exact geometry as stock. It's beefier and so are the bolts, but I haven't seen anyone break a stock one yet unless they literally bashed it into a rock backing up and that guy was a tool anyway.

For the majority of people if he isn't offering custom lengths it's not really something they need. Most the guys I know with crawlers make their own shackles out of 3/8" flat bar and that's exactly what Ill be doing 'someday' when I get my flip kit.

You can't dial that shackle length in like with flat bar or boomerang brackets. With a bolt on flip kit it would make it impossible to dial in your angles for the weight of your truck and leaf pack so you could end up with bad angles that will kill your pack and could make the ride bad.

IMO if your going as far to redesign the shackle itself and make it so beefy why not offer custom lengths? Personally I would love to run one after I dialed in where I wanted to be with flat stock. I would love to give him center to center dimensions from the bushings and have one made if ti was in the budget and time constraints.

The main use I see for these as they are being offered now is OE replacement for the guys who want to stop their squeaking asses.

Ill be looking to take a nice lunch when things die down here. Summer is bat shit crazy....ands thats why I need to stop typing so I can get my shit done and go home

9. Jul 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Get back to work! :laughing:

10. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Oury

Oury Texas Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Oury
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    stuff and more stuff
    This would work with a shackle flip too im sure

11. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    It will work fine with ATO, but you have no capabilities to fine tune it. It won't work with the other guy who made the shackle flip kit wider then a OE Toyota shackle for some reason I still can't seem to figure out :confused:

This one is wider then stock and not strait with leaves :notsure: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...nterest-shackle-flip-05-taco.html#post4956669

12. Aug 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    ^^just can't please some people. :rolleyes:

13. Aug 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    There is a right way and a wrong way. When posting in a forum that has 85,000 members it's always nice for people to know what really is going on before they spend money on stuff. People could be reading this 7 years from now for research. I know when I research I like knowing the truth vs getting a sugar coated version of it. Sorry, but I don't pull punches and keep my mouth shut so people like me. I'd rather be hated and have helped people then conform and keep my trap shut.

14. Aug 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.

Very true. However you have not proved in any way that the way the other fabricator built his design wrong. It does not conform to your logic but your logic is not the only answer to all applications. Nothing to date states that the other design WILL compromise the trucks performance or other aftermarket parts life span.

You and I have gone down this road before in discussion and as I stated in the past the moment you change the tire size, lift the truck, modify the engine and so on you instantaneously change the manufacturer's projected outcome or projected lifespan for these trucks. Good or bad.

So far the design has worked perfect for my application and to date nothing adverse has been observed.

15. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    s10nick

s10nick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Greeley, CO
    Vehicle:
    base mod. debaged
    3inch hbs lift toytec diff drop grillcraft grill hella 500s conv. to 8k hids xentec hid head light conv. 5% tint more to come
    subbed for future

16. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    mine look a bit different than yours on the welded edges???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm not gonna get into that multi-adjustable design. It has its advantages (mostly adjustability), and its disadvantages (have been covered).

The ATO method is tunable to an extent, but it'd be a lot more work for the end user. You'd have to alter many variables at once to ensure your shackle mount point was correct. That said, it also doesn't offer the drawbacks of bushing and leaf spring misalignment and the potential wear and tear involved there.

We're all gonna approach this item a little differently. Some people may be ok with a bracket misaligned with the frame and are willing to make that sacrifice for the adjustability. I personally wasn't concerned with adjustability and wanted all the angles correct and the item durable and easily serviceable.

People can select their preference. I liked what I heard from Mike in his feedback though. Defined is probably the only other fab house I've seen that puts the attention to detail into their designs that ATO does. I've always been impressed with their work.

18. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Looks the same to me... Yours is just a more detailed pic. Mine was with my blackberry. :eek:

19. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Homer's set's welds look a little undercut, yours look stronger. Not sure why the welds zig zag back and forth though.

They are TIG welded though so that's a plus.

20. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    mike said he tried something different than he usually does with my set, but they were the only ones i had seen so i didnt know what he did?

Products Discussed in

To Top