1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Eddie209 Soft top/bed rack - BIG THUMBS UP!

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by w00dy, May 27, 2013.

1. May 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    w00dy

w00dy [OP] Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    BAMF kick out sliders, SkidRow skids,Pro Comp 7069, Kelly Safari TSR 285's, Elite front bumpa, OME 883 & Dakars w/ D6XL AAL, Nitro sport shocks, Eddie209 Soft topper, Satoshi, k&n fipk, Clarion vx400, Ultra Gauge, Debadgination mod
    [​IMG]

I figured I would write this review now that I have had my soft topper on for a month.

I jumped on Eddie's (Eddie209) 2nd GB of the soft toppers back in February of this year. I saw the 1st group buy but was a little too late for that one.

First off, I LOVE this thing! It is exactly how I hoped it would look and function.

When I received it from UPS, it came very well packaged.
    [​IMG]

It probably took me 20 minutes just to unwrap everything. He did a great job prepping it for shipping. All hardware was accounted for. The canvas was in the middle of it all and very well guarded.

Eddie emailed me the direction. His directions were very easy to read and understand.

It is very easy to remove the canvas if needed. It takes less than 10 minutes and the canvas can be removed. Ive only removed the canvas once when I first put it on just to see how long it takes to remove it.

The big question I had before I installed it was will it flap at highway speeds? The answer is NO.

Here is a video I took of me going about 50mph. As you can see, there is zero flapping. In fact, it actually kinda draws in a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K45U0N8evMY

I have had it up to 75-80mph and it did not flap what so ever. I experience no noise while at those speeds either. I almost forget its on their. I also have gained about a 1-2mpg increase since installing it.

I would totally recommend Eddie's topper to anyone looking for a quality topper that is hand made. He is a great person to deal with. He always answered my pm's. If anyone has any questions or want to see different angles, i'll try to help out.

Thanks Eddie! :oldglory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The bungie cord is to keep my cooler from sliding)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. May 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    bmrboz

bmrboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport, Entune, NAV, JBL
    Looks awesome. I haven't received mine yet and he has not responded to my PM's since final payment was made a week ago. I have been waiting on tracking info from him. Not sure what is going on. Communication was fine up until the end.:confused:

3. May 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Maybe he's fallen a bit behind in his email's because he is buried in orders? I know it said on his post the turn around was about 4-6 weeks (if I remember right). So maybe, understandably so, you're too excited about getting it? I'd give him some time ...

4. May 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Woody - Did you paint the metal rack at all or is that bare metal that I see in the pics? Also , do you think it would help at all if you put some of that black foam pipe insulation stuff on the rack to make it 1) look better, and 2) reduce wear on the fabric?

5. May 29, 2013 at 2:33 AM
    w00dy

w00dy [OP] Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    BAMF kick out sliders, SkidRow skids,Pro Comp 7069, Kelly Safari TSR 285's, Elite front bumpa, OME 883 & Dakars w/ D6XL AAL, Nitro sport shocks, Eddie209 Soft topper, Satoshi, k&n fipk, Clarion vx400, Ultra Gauge, Debadgination mod
    My biggest regret was trying to paint the frame with Duplicolor bed liner (rattle can). It was a waste of $40 and 3 days. You can see some bare metal on the side of the frame sitting in the bed rail.

I prepped it and tried to paint it. It was over 36 hours and it was still wet. Also it went in looking good and even, now it looks thin. Hard to explain...but I should of just used a good primer and a flat black.

I plan on taking it all apart, stripping it & repainting it sometime in June.

I guess you could use pipe insulators around the frame tubes. I don't know if it would make it look better. I guess I'd have to try it before I can actually say.

As far as reducing wear and tear, the canvas doesn't move. When I'm driving, it basically draws in a bit. It does not flap or jump.

I hope that helps!

6. May 29, 2013 at 4:02 AM
    bmrboz

bmrboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    I ordered in FEB, I think I have been pretty patient. But I have spoken with him via email but still no tracking info. I hope it shows up soon.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  7. May 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    kbraunphoto

kbraunphoto mountain bike haulin' & off camping

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 Inferno Orange TRD Pro
    Just a few expensive & DIY things...
    I'll add to the mpg gain. I got .3-.8 of gain over one fill up.

8. May 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    bmrboz -

Keep us posted on what transpires. I'm sure it will all be great in the end! Fingers crossed for you.

9. May 30, 2013 at 2:54 AM
    w00dy

w00dy [OP] Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    Keep us posted

Do you have any finished pictures of it installed on your truck?

10. May 30, 2013 at 4:54 AM
    bmrboz

bmrboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    I spoke with Eddie, It got missent. He got with UPS to redirect. I should have it by Friday hopefully.

GaryLaurenLogan likes this.
  11. May 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Simple mistake ! Glad its going to workout!

12. Jun 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    bmrboz

bmrboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the difference?

13. Jun 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    Deathproofduck

Deathproofduck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    13 StormTrooper DCSB Icon, scs, front runner..etc
    Too many to list
    I have since repainted it. It is lined up the same way on both sides. The new canvas is awesome. It fit's my 2012 just like bmrboz does.[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jun 2, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    bmrboz

bmrboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    I wish it followed the outside bed line of the truck all the way to the cab.

15. Jun 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Deathproofduck

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    Same here. It bugs the shit out of me to be honest. I may have to do some fab work of my own this winter to fix it or sell it and buy a soft topper. It just doesnt look like it's made for my truck, looks like i borrowed it from a truck that it fit on.

16. Jun 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    bmrboz

bmrboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    Maybe Eddie can fix it for us. I don't know if anyone brought this to his attention yet. I asked him on the other thread.

17. Jun 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Deathproofduck

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    I was #1 in the 2nd buy and sent him a bunch of pics. The shipping alone would kill me i think. I am on the other side of the Country and the way this whole thing went down, it could take Months to get it back. It looks like your much closer to him than i am.

18. Jun 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    I'm wanting to get this from Eddie.
    But what I want to do is take off the bed caps and have a wider rail and bolt it to bed,with gasket in between of course.

19. Jun 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Idk how that'll look,may have to have bottom rail cut for taper.

20. Jun 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Deathproofduck

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    Then wouldn't a wider rail (flat bar) work? I can think of a few ways to do it. A couple of small "tabs" to clamp onto would work too i think.

To Top