1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bruteforce Fabrication - Buyer's Beware

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by Drunken Duncan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    Drunken Duncan

Drunken Duncan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4X4
    Just wanted to post an honest review of my experience with Bruteforce Fabrication and let people know what could happen to them.

I placed my order in September for a front hybrid and rear swingout bumpers. Shortly after several people in my area put together a group buy to share on shipping cost and Billy agreed to build/ship all our stuff together.

The estimate was for everything to be delivered in January. Well January came and went with a new estimated delivery in February. February came and went with another false promise for a delivery at the end of March.

I've called Billy 3 times over the last month asking for an update since our delivery estimate of March was not met and received no response. So in summary I placed my order in September 2013 and its now closing on May 2014. I was alright until the communication channel became non-existent.

I will say though that Billy was always polite and apologetic on the phone. Always seemed pleasant to deal with.

Update:
    I received a call from Billy and we talked through everything. He understood that my frustration was simply on communication and he talked about how he is working to better that end of his business. Also, the bumpers will be shipping next week.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
  3. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    My wait was worth it. Sorry to hear that, but his product it top notch

4. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    That sucks! While I can understand that fabricators get busy, it is unacceptable that they lead people along with false promises. All they do is create stress for everyone involved.

Honesty is the best policy.

5. Apr 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Drunken Duncan

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4X4

Yup, that has been my intentions but with no one answering the phone or calling back after I leave messages, I'm struggling to gain any traction.

6. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    I'm part of the group buy as well. Its worth noting that at one point Billy got shorted some stuff from his laser cutter and then had to go through the process of finding a new cutter and getting set up with them. I have no idea how long that stuff takes, so i'm sure it contributed to at least part of our delay. The wait is getting old though, especially with the multiple busted dates. I was all good until I talked to him on April 2nd. We had a miscommunication and my order was wrong, which he quickly apologized for and was easy to clear up. Then he said we should have our final invoices the next day or two and they would ship out by the end of next week. Thats the last contact I know of that any of us have had.

7. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    Not taking sides. But some of these guy take more than they can swallow. Thus giving them that much more lead time to build stuff

8. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    So how long was your wait?

9. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Paypal won't dispute orders on custom products... I almost had to go through the process from another company.

10. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yeah, I would think you could probably go through your bank that way.

11. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's when you have to be a saavy enough business owner to give realistic wait times. Generally, people don't mind waiting for a quality product from a small business but the business owners need to have a realistic view on how long it actually takes to move product. Telling a customer up front that the wait time is 3 months and still not having the product out in 6 months pisses people off where as telling a customer the wait is 7 months and delivering in 6 makes them very pleased.

Bigheadtinyarms likes this.
  12. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    If I recall correctly 8 weeks or so. Not near a long as yall have been waiting.

13. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    You know, it is a custom product and you all wanted them shipped together. I can understand it has been a long wait, but Billy is still a one man shop (most of the time).

I have not bought anything from him and have not worked with him, but I have ordered from other vendors. Wait times on CUSTOM ordered stuff when dealing with multiple suppliers as they do for bumpers in a small shop, are going to come with delays.

Look at Eric at Relentless. He has plenty of "buyer bewares," but he has plenty of happy people too. Sorry you didn't get your product in a timely manner. Sorry you had to wait for him to make 10 other peoples' bumpers with yours. Hope you get some closure soon.

14. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    My hybrid is about 4-6 weeks behind schedule, ordered in January. Had a problem with the design, trying to fit too big a lightbar and winch in togeather. I'm hoping to hear from him early next week about shipping. Ill be giving him a call anyways. I can only wait so much longer seeing I don't have a bumper on my truck right now as well.

I did get the feeling that Billy has a little to much work for him to do all himself but his product is high quality and well designed

15. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Drunken Duncan

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4X4
    Complete understood this going in and he is the one that set the expectation. I'm not saying he doesn't make a quality product or that Billy is not a nice guy. I just wanted to give a review and help inform people that his expectation may not be a real one and in our case it definitely wasn't real.

16. Apr 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    I'm also in the group buy and at this point I think I just want my money back and possibly have someone here make one for me 8 months is kinda ridiculous

17. Apr 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    I'm coming up on my original quoted timeline for my HC rear...Billy called me back immediately when I emailed about placing my order, and even to discuss the custom possibilities a few weeks later. Hoping that he contacts me soon.

18. Apr 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I am not sure why people are defending the vendor as if this is some how justified. It seems to consistently happen with a few other vendors on here as well. He may be busy but that is part of the job. I am tired of dealing with companies that tell you a specific date knowing it is not going to happen. I am not sure how long it takes to build a bumper nor do I have the skill. I do know that it shouldn't take this long. When I buy something I normally start planning trips to be able to test the product out. It sucks having to keep canceling plans because someone can't keep their word.

He does good work and I have got to see his rear bumper in person but because of wait times I will most likely be going with Pelfrey or Eddy for my hybrid.

19. Apr 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    Billy is a good guy and makes kick ass products. Bumpers produced one at a time by hand require patience.

Try being patient, you will be happier in general.

20. Apr 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    He may be a great guy but, if the OP's side is accurate (which appears it is as others in the group are backing the story), he is not a great business owner. Personality and business sense are not related in any way. He should know how long it takes to produce his products and provide accurate lead times. Over promise and under deliver is no way to run a business.

To Top