Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Wheeler's Off-Road

Notices

Wheeler's steelies

Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
I just got Type B's to got with my OME lift and 255's. I dont think my mpg got to big of a hit cuz I have skinny's. I think the tire makes more difference IMO.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 2mpg
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Is that 255/85/16? Jw, and which tires exactly?
Yes 255/85/16 and BFG KM2s
Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
NCJeyota is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Mike
NCJeyota's Tacoma Gallery
Is there anyone on the east coast that sell black steelies similar to Wheelers without having to pay $100 shipping to ship them to the east coast? I am looking for some 15X 8 with 4" bs that will clear the calipers on my 03 DC.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
DirtyTaco89 is on a distinguished road
Name: Derek
DirtyTaco89's Tacoma Gallery
Have any of you noticed a vibration with these wheels?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #27
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the Wheeler's type B for just over a year. I was running 265x75/16s BFG ATs on stock steelies, then changed to the Wheelers. I did not notice any change or loss in mpg.
No issues in changing over the TPMS. No issues clearing the calipers. And No vibrations or troubles balancing, per the shop I go to.

Forgot to add....I have trimmed a lil bit off the inner fenders and completed the cab mount chop before going to BFG ATs. Was originally going to go straight to 285s, but changed my plan and stuck with 265s. The 265's do come close to the previously cutout portions of the fenders and cab mount, but have never touched. I can't however say without trimming you would be totally in the clear.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakDwn View Post
I've had the Wheeler's type B for just over a year. I was running 265x75/16s BFG ATs on stock steelies, then changed to the Wheelers. I did not notice any change or loss in mpg.
No issues in changing over the TPMS. No issues clearing the calipers. And No vibrations or troubles balancing, per the shop I go to.

Forgot to add....I have trimmed a lil bit off the inner fenders and completed the cab mount chop before going to BFG ATs. Was originally going to go straight to 285s, but changed my plan and stuck with 265s. The 265's do come close to the previously cutout portions of the fenders and cab mount, but have never touched. I can't however say without trimming you would be totally in the clear.
So with the 285's it requires the cab mount chop and inner fenders?

I am new to this so I am unsure about what I need to do before getting the 285's
Old 07-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
285's require larger back spacing. It's the diameter of the tire, along with back spacing and width combined that require trimming and a cab mount chop.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
285's require larger back spacing. It's the diameter of the tire, along with back spacing and width combined that require trimming and a cab mount chop.
Type A's back spacing will have the wheel pretty much under the fender and type B will have the wheel stick out a little is that correct?

If so would it make more sense to go with type B's if I want to run 285's with only a 3" lift and I don't want to trim a whole lot?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #31

Yes you should run the type Bs with 285s so you dont rub the UCA.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShark View Post
Yes you should run the type Bs with 285s so you dont rub the UCA.
Okay cool great feedback!

My Taco is still brand new I haven't even had my first oil change so I am not too eager to cut into it too much.

But I will do what is necessary!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Type A's would do just fine and clear UCA's with 285's. As it is 4.5" back spacing and stock is 5" if you go type B's, expect to trim more as when you turn, it will rub the body mount more and the inner fender liner on the front.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #35
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
how are these with holding a bead while aired down? McGrimm, monte...you guys air down a lot, any issues with losing beads?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #37
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Not at all

The bead on these rims is larger then a normal rim. I'd air down to 8-10 psi no worries

excellent

looking at these as an option if i move to 16s..
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Quote:
I'd air down to 8-10 psi no worries
This almost makes it sound like bead lockers are overkill on most all applications? Looking into rims right now and figured I should get bead lockers while I'm at it, but maybe its simply not necessary. Are they really only for extreme rock crawling?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #40
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
This almost makes it sound like bead lockers are overkill on most all applications? Looking into rims right now and figured I should get bead lockers while I'm at it, but maybe its simply not necessary. Are they really only for extreme rock crawling?
For daily use they are overkill. The way I have built my rig is all overkill but one of these days, going overkill is going to be necessary. Wheeler's steelies are great wheels though.