Notices

Shims with wheelers 3 leaf?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Shims with wheelers 3 leaf?

Hey guys I've been searching with no joy trying to find out if I will need shims to adjust my drive shaft angle. I was planning on keeping the overload leaf in. It's an 04 Dc prerunner. Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Probably could use an answer to this one too.(5100's installed...same 3 leaf going in this weekend)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have vibrations or axle wrap? The key is not to react before the action. Install the Wheeler's pack. If you have symptoms then determine what is needed to correct the issue.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Installed the AAL with no shims. I got no vibrations and the truck rides so much better. Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
so the shop mines at as we speak, called me 20 mins ago saying they're not sure how to go about installing my 3 aal from wheelers. i feel like he's gotta be over thinking it. also how'd u do it with the factory overload leaf? cuz thats what i want, but he said he's concerned the center bolt may not be big enough???

EDIT: got errr dunnn

no more posts for a while from me, im gunna enjoy 666
Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I'm on the fence between keeping the overload or not. I want the ride to smooth out, but I'm thinking with the ~1.5" of travel I already have before the overload shows it's ugly head, the plus the ~1.5 the three leaf AAL gives me, giving me about ~3" of travel before engaging the overload, that maybe I can leave the overload on.

As of right now, the overload seems to be giving me an extreme progressive spring rate feeling. Minor distortions/bumps are fine, but anything larger and the rear end gets very stiff and rebounds with a vengence. If it will still do that with the AAL, then its gotta go. Curious on before and after opinions from those who have the AAL and a) what the ride was like stock, b) kept the overload and C) did not keep the overload.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
IanN is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
IanN's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is old but in case anyone is looking for guidance on whether or not to keep the overload I was told by wheelers to take it out completely when I install my 3leaf progressive heavy duty AAL
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I gained an opinion from this site that they recommend removing the overload, but more so smiply for ride comfort, and its not uncommon for people to keep the overload simply to have just that bit more right hight as the overload is acting like a spacer mostly. Maybe they told you that as your not buying the 'regular' 3 leaf progressive, but the Heavy Duty.

With the OP's review in post #4, I'm inclided to keep the overload. Once in a very rare while I haul and it would suck to have a reduced capacity. Recently I hauled a 5vz with tranny and was nearly bottomed out (hit the bump stops about two times), and then hauled a bunch of marble, again getting some healthy sag. If the AALs help the ride quaity out when empty with the overload on, I'm game. If wheeler's states specifically that ride quality significantly suffers with retaining the overload, then I'll be very tempted to remove it and live with the reduced capacity.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanN View Post
I know this is old but in case anyone is looking for guidance on whether or not to keep the overload I was told by wheelers to take it out completely when I install my 3leaf progressive heavy duty AAL
Hey Ian, You get your kit installed?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
I took my overload out and put in a 3 leaf HD and it handles 500lbs in the bed no problem at all.