Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Wheeler's Off-Road

Notices

Should I expect better quality?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Should I expect better quality?

Got my new 3 leaf progressive leaf pack today unfortunately though I'm not very happy. I don't know who does the painting but for almost $200 I expected better quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I expect better quality?-image.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
yup you should but springs are heavy and I would imagine a PITA to paint.

Get some primer and some black paint if it bothers you enough.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea I'm probably going to spray paint them tomorrow before the install. I'm just wondering if I would have ordered the icon 3 leaf pack for 30 dollars more would I have gotten better quality than this from wheelers.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Those springs shipped together, beating and rubbing on each other, might just be the culprit there.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Taco Shot
StreetTaco4Me is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
StreetTaco4Me's Tacoma Gallery
just paint em...I am sure they are fine
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Looks like minor touch-up is needed. With shipping these days, its almost to be expected.

I ordered the same thing and its on the way. Keeping in mind these are the most affordable of the 3 leaf AALs that I've seen, I'm not expecting the highest grade coatings and such. As long as fitment and performance is there, its a good deal.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
They're leaf springs, so no, you should expect that that's decent for what they are and move on with life.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
The way is open, the time is now
Mrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Mrogers33's Tacoma Gallery
Having worked in the shipping industry for many years that looks like damage from poor handling practices, whether it happened before or after shipping is hard to tell. Heavy items such as leaf springs getting pulled off a conveyor will get dropped and handled very roughly on metal gratings and dock plates. How was it shipped? wrapped up or just plain with a tag on it.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
Yea I'm probably going to spray paint them tomorrow before the install. I'm just wondering if I would have ordered the icon 3 leaf pack for 30 dollars more would I have gotten better quality than this from wheelers.
I have the Icons and they looked similar upon arrival. The damage had occurred during shipping so there's not much the vendor could have done to prevent it.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #12

The ends were wrapped in plastic wrap. My point is they could have spent an extra 5 minutes and wrapped the entire thing then none of the damage would have occurred. Either way I painted them and installed them about a week ago.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, you know they're leaf springs, right? Rattle can them an move on.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plannerman99 View Post
Dude, you know they're leaf springs, right? Rattle can them an move on.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrogers33 View Post
Having worked in the shipping industry for many years that looks like damage from poor handling practices, whether it happened before or after shipping is hard to tell. Heavy items such as leaf springs getting pulled off a conveyor will get dropped and handled very roughly on metal gratings and dock plates. How was it shipped? wrapped up or just plain with a tag on it.
True. Very difficult to handle in general, especially in facilities designed to handle boxes quickly. I think mine were a little dinged up, but rocks are goign to do that anyway. No biggie. It would be nice of they were shinkwrapped, but even that would be chewed up pretty quicktly. Too expensive to crate them.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I know this a few days old but this is what mine look like
Old 05-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
Wiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud ofWiggins has much to be proud of
Wiggins's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what you guys think you're buying, here... but if you were to get a Brand New Tacoma off of the dealership lot, or even one right off of the assembly line at the factory(0 miles on the odo), you could jack it up, take the leaf pack off, disassemble the leaf pack and it would look similar/identical to what you're whining about here.

This is heavy-grade metal that's sitting smooshed together on a shelf somewhere for months before making it onto your truck. All of what you're showing here is 100% normal and unavoidable unless you make your own leaf pack from scratch out of raw ingots of steel/iron, carefully put it together yourself, and use white gloves to install it on the underside of your... dirty-ass-pickup truck.

Once they're on your truck, you are going to be using them for Light Wheeling/Mudding or crawling down the beach in the sand. At that point, even due to the lightest wheeling, they're going to take damage that hurts them worse than any amount of time on the shelf in the Wheelers Warehouse. Hell, even a couple laps around mall speedbumps are going to cause enough flex to rub them together and break apart your rattlecan work.

Worst Case Scenario, what you're seeing is mishandling by the carrier and has ultimately caused 0% damage to the way these things will work and look once stuffed WAY up under your truck behind what I hope are some pretty sick 33's that are going to take all the attention away from the minor ding on your leafs.

Sorry for the Rant, but I just don't see how you're butt-hurt over tiny cosmetic imperfections on something that is intended to take far worse of a beating on any given Saturday afternoon than what you show in these pics.