Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > Wheels & Tires Marketplace

Notices

18x9 BFD Wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #421
Keith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Keith
Keith120286's Tacoma Gallery
Someone should do a side-by-side comparison of the Bronze Volk TE37 Large PCD wheels and the Bronze FN BFDs. I'm curious to see if there's any slight aesthetic differences.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #422
Keith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Test fitting today... More pics soon.
Hurry up and post the finished product. I want to see this!!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #423
ares650 is on a distinguished road
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith120286 View Post
Someone should do a side-by-side comparison of the Bronze Volk TE37 Large PCD wheels and the Bronze FN BFDs. I'm curious to see if there's any slight aesthetic differences.
Does It Matter? You Buy the Wheel cause you like it. If you want the Anesthetic then spend the money, I am super happy with my wheels
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #424
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATZ WEAKSAUCE View Post
havent posted in here for awhile updated pic of my rig

Quote:
x2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares650 View Post
I am super happy with my wheels
Thank you my friend!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #425
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does It Matter? You Buy the Wheel cause you like it. If you want the Anesthetic then spend the money, I am super happy with my wheels
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #426

Quote:
lol what?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #427
BeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Almost readdddyyy.......

https://vine.co/v/b2PPxFeE9L6
Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #428
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
Quote:
lol what?
Ok guys, looks like ares650 just made a typo. We all know he meant aesthetic. We all make typos from time to time. I know I do.

Quote:
Almost readdddyyy.......

https://vine.co/v/b2PPxFeE9L6
Interesting...I can't wait to see what you've got going on there.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #429

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Ok guys, looks like ares650 just made a typo. We all know he meant aesthetic. We all make typos from time to time. I know I do.
Typographical error aside, his comment didn't really make any sense. Maybe he misinterpreted my original post. The vibe I'm getting from him is that he thinks that I think that the BFD wheels are inferior to the Volks. I don't feel that way at all. I was curious to see a side by side comparison of the two because from I see in pictures, they are identical in every way except for price, which is why I'll end up with the BFDs.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #430
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Typographical error aside, his comment didn't really make any sense. Maybe he misinterpreted my original post. The vibe I'm getting from him is that he thinks that I think that the BFD wheels are inferior to the Volks. I don't feel that way at all. I was curious to see a side by side comparison of the two because from I see in pictures, they are identical in every way except for price, which is why I'll end up with the BFDs.
TE37s are forged, BFDs are cast... that's your price difference.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #431
BeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Last preview before everything gets mounted....

Old 05-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #432
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
^^ that's going to look sick ^^

I needs some flush mount center caps..
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #433
steve45058 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
steve45058's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=BeePee;6877972]Last preview before everything gets mounted....

Did you make those center caps yourself?? So SICK
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #434
PupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant futurePupuleUlua has a brilliant future

Name: Rod
PupuleUlua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That is so sick but I'd personally try and get the center pyrite if I was you. Holla if you can make a mgm 1.
My most recent pix. Guys get these rims! Totally worth it plus service doesn't get any better from Dustin and the boyz at FN Wheels
Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #435
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Damn! Looks awesome! The center cap fits with no issues?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #436

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you make those center caps yourself?? So SICK
Yeah, chopped up the bfd caps and did some stuff to make the trd caps fit inside.

Quote:
That is so sick but I'd personally try and get the center pyrite if I was you. Holla if you can make a mgm 1.
Was going to color match the centers, but actually liked how the silver looks. I have pics of the process, might put together a how-to at some point.

Quote:
The center caps fit with no problem?
No. They are not a direct replacement. The trd caps are too small to fit the bfd wheels.

Thanks guys! Definitely happy how they turned out. A few things to note... I'm not sure if they will fit most trucks. Because they are flush mount, they might not clear the hubs. I haven't done a test fit on my truck yet, but remember the hub sticking through slightly with no caps (I'll be running spacers due to my lift so it shouldn't be a problem with my setup).

Again the trd caps are NOT direct replacements for the bfd caps. But for a little money (about $65 total) and some freetime, you can make them work. I should have everything mounted up in a few weeks. I'm curious to see how well they will hold up.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #437
PARTS HOARDER

Quote:
Totally agreed. I think he may have misunderstood you as well. I know where you were coming from, because I know you like our wheels. I was just trying to keep everyone from getting angry with each other over nothing.

Cosmetically the BFD and TE37 are extremely similar. The two bronze finishes are different. Rays uses a sandy, textured bronze that has a rough feel to it, and then they anodize their lips. The BFD is a smooth, satin bronze.

The BFDs are made from an advanced casting process (counter pressure casting), but it is not the same as the forging method that RAYS uses to make the TE37. While the BFDs are lighter and stronger than just about anything you can buy for your Tacoma, the TE37s are EVEN lighter and EVEN stronger.

However, as you mentioned, that comes with a price tag. The TE37s are premium racing wheels. As such the price tag for a set of new 18" TE37s is $3,000 +, while a set of new 18" BFDs is $1,199 w/ shipping included. The BFDs can handle just about anything you can throw at them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
TE37s are forged, BFDs are cast... that's your price difference.
Pretty much, yes. I used to sell Rays Engineering (Volk Racing) wheels. They are amazing wheels, and anyone who can afford a set should buy them. Unfortunately the cost of the TE37 prohibits most of us from being able to afford them.

An interesting side note - while the TE37s are incredibly strong, they are not indestructible. When I sold Volk wheels I would occasionally have to order replacements from customers who broke their TE37s racing or offroading at about the same rate as other high end cast wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupuleUlua View Post
My most recent pix. Guys get these rims! Totally worth it plus service doesn't get any better from Dustin and the boyz at FN Wheels
Aloha! Thank you my friend!

Quote:
Yeah, chopped up the bfd caps and did some stuff to make the trd caps fit inside.

Was going to color match the centers, but actually liked how the silver looks. I have pics of the process, might put together a how-to at some point.

No. They are not a direct replacement. The trd caps are too small to fit the bfd wheels.

Thanks guys! Definitely happy how they turned out. A few things to note... I'm not sure if they will fit most trucks. Because they are flush mount, they might not clear the hubs. I haven't done a test fit on my truck yet, but remember the hub sticking through slightly with no caps (I'll be running spacers due to my lift so it shouldn't be a problem with my setup).

Again the trd caps are NOT direct replacements for the bfd caps. But for a little money (about $65 total) and some freetime, you can make them work. I should have everything mounted up in a few weeks. I'm curious to see how well they will hold up.
Awesome photos Cody, and great idea. You're creativity is an asset to all of us. I plan to make myself a set of TRD style caps too once I see your write-up.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #438

I'd really like to see some more pictures of the bronze BFDs on a Pyrite Mica DC Tundra. Also wouldn't mind seeing what they look like on a Speedway Blue DCLB Tacoma.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #439
ares650 is on a distinguished road
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Love the center cap.....
Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #440
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Love the center cap.....
totally. the clean cap suits such a cleanly designed wheel