Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > Wheels & Tires Marketplace

Notices

18x9 BFD Wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #501
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget View Post
You got PM!
Response sent! Thank you!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #502
nugget is on a distinguished road
nugget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Response sent! Thank you!
Hey Dustin,

Just wondering if you got my last message regarding a quote to ship to Canada. Let me know, thanks!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #503
ares650 is on a distinguished road
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Dustin,

Have you planned to try to make the wheels in a different offset or width ?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #504
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget View Post
Hey Dustin,

Just wondering if you got my last message regarding a quote to ship to Canada. Let me know, thanks!
Hi Kemp,

Yes, I just sent you a response with a quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares650 View Post
Hey Dustin,

Have you planned to try to make the wheels in a different offset or width ?
The main request that I'm getting right now is coming from older Landcruiser guys for a little narrower wheel. I haven't had too many requests for any other widths or offsets, but we did get a couple for a wider wheel with lower offset.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #505
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Yea.... maybe a 9.5 or 10? And maybe a 3.75 to 4.5 backspacing.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #506
PARTS HOARDER

Quote:
Yea.... maybe a 9.5 or 10? And maybe a 3.75 to 4.5 backspacing.
Would this be for your FJ Cruiser, or for another vehicle?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #507
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Would this be for your FJ Cruiser, or for another vehicle?
I was thinking about it. On the FJ I am running the 18*9 ET0 with a 1.5" spacer. I know my setup would work out to be 18*9 et-36 or something like that. I just feel that a 295 needs more width.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #508
PARTS HOARDER

Quote:
I was thinking about it. On the FJ I am running the 18*9 ET0 with a 1.5" spacer. I know my setup would work out to be 18*9 et-36 or something like that. I just feel that a 295 needs more width.
9" width is actually pretty darn good for a 295/65R18 or 295/70R18.

The problem with going wider (say a 9.5" or 10" wide wheel) is that it can be difficult to keep the bead of the tire seated if you go offroad and air down the tires. I know for you specifically in Florida this isn't too big of an issue, because there isn't a lot of rock crawling down there. For some of our customers that like to crawl and need to air down it might present a problem if we were to make the wheels wider.

295/65R18 has an approved rim width range of 8.0" to 10.0", and 295/70R18 has an approved rim width of 7.5" to 10.0". We're pretty much safely in the middle with 9" on the BFDs, so you don't have anything to worry about with your 295's.

I personally think your FJ looks pretty badass the way you have it setup.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #509
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
9" width is actually pretty darn good for a 295/65R18 or 295/70R18.

The problem with going wider (say a 9.5" or 10" wide wheel) is that it can be difficult to keep the bead of the tire seated if you go offroad and air down the tires. I know for you specifically in Florida this isn't too big of an issue, because there isn't a lot of rock crawling down there. For some of our customers that like to crawl and need to air down it might present a problem if we were to make the wheels wider.

295/65R18 has an approved rim width range of 8.0" to 10.0", and 295/70R18 has an approved rim width of 7.5" to 10.0". We're pretty much safely in the middle with 9" on the BFDs, so you don't have anything to worry about with your 295's.

I personally think your FJ looks pretty badass the way you have it setup.
Don't worry......I know that for an low pressure case, narrow is better and with a 9" wheel I am fine up to I think almost a 325. I was just asking about maybe wider or more offset possible in the future. For me the lowest I bring the tires down to is about 26psi and about 55psi on the highway.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #510
Truong A Long A Ding Dong
datzdorki304 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
datzdorki304's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Dustin,

I'm definitely interested in a set of these nice sexy wheels. Got a phone number?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #512
PARTS HOARDER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by datzdorki304 View Post
Hey Dustin,

I'm definitely interested in a set of these nice sexy wheels. Got a phone number?
Thank you! (951)735-1100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for all your help. I'll send more pictures when I get a chance. This is off of Auto Customs' site:

Maxtrac spindles, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs, and graphite BFDs.

Randy
Lookin' good Randy! You're welcome, and thank you too! How does the ride feel?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #513
808state is on a distinguished road

Name: Randy
808state's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lookin' good Randy! You're welcome, and thank you too! How does the ride feel?
Hey Dustin,

I am really impressed with the ride. It is a little stiffer than stock, but not overly harsh. I'll get you those pictures next weekend, there's a truck cruise and I gotta get the truck detailed.

Randy
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #514
PARTS HOARDER

Quote:
Hey Dustin,

I am really impressed with the ride. It is a little stiffer than stock, but not overly harsh. I'll get you those pictures next weekend, there's a truck cruise and I gotta get the truck detailed.

Randy
Sweet! Thank you! I'm glad everything turned out well for you.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #515
Sticker Making Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: C
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for all your help. I'll send more pictures when I get a chance. This is off of Auto Customs' site:

Maxtrac spindles, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs, and graphite BFDs.

Randy
Randy,

are you running spacers on the wheels? I thought with Maxtrac spindles the max backspace was 4.5" and these wheels wouldnt fit.

hows the clearance looking?

Do the tires stick out past the fenders too?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #516
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I want a set, Not sure they'll fit my truck though. My truck is completely stock, it came with 18"x7 1/2 wheels, with 265/60/18 tires. Can I put those tires on the 18x9 wheels, without the wheels sticking out past the wheel well? If so,Not sure if I want gun metal or black, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
18x9 BFD Wheels-paperartist_2013-07-17_17-57-55.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #517
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery

BFDs with OEM Dueller 265/60-18... looks good enough to use up the first set of tires and THEN switch.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #518
808state is on a distinguished road

Name: Randy
808state's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoy808 View Post
Randy,

are you running spacers on the wheels? I thought with Maxtrac spindles the max backspace was 4.5" and these wheels wouldnt fit.

hows the clearance looking?

Do the tires stick out past the fenders too?
I really wanted a spindle lift and the BFDs, so I searched the threads for anyone that did the same setup. The op used these wheels with camburg spindles (see posts #46 & #50 in this thread.). And I found TacoDaddy's build where he used maxtrac spindles with BFDs.

I contacted Dustin to see what he thought about my desired lift setup and these wheels, and he didn't think I would have any problems based on his build and a customer's similar setup. So I pulled the trigger on this setup.

There is no rubbing at all and I didn't need to trim anything. Before I lifted the truck I removed the front mud flaps and that small piece (looks like a mini mud flap) in front of the front tires, so I am not sure if the tires would have rubbed on those.

The spindles push the fronts out about 1-1/4", so I'm running Spidertrax spacers on the rear only. Now all the wheels are sticking 1-1/4" past the fender flares.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #519
PARTS HOARDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalimited View Post
I want a set, Not sure they'll fit my truck though. My truck is completely stock, it came with 18"x7 1/2 wheels, with 265/60/18 tires. Can I put those tires on the 18x9 wheels, without the wheels sticking out past the wheel well? If so,Not sure if I want gun metal or black, what do you think?
They'll definitely fit, and you won't have any rubbing at all. The wheels will poke out just a little bit while looking down the side of the truck from the front. It's a nice stance.

I have mounted this exact setup for a few local customers.

My color suggestion would be graphite gunmetal. I think it looks awesome with the silver. Matte black doesn't look bad either, but I am very partial to graphite gunmetal BFDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post

BFDs with OEM Dueller 265/60-18... looks good enough to use up the first set of tires and THEN switch.
Excellent photo for confirmation! Thank you, and I agree! Not a bad way to put those OEM Bridgestones to good use.

Quote:
I really wanted a spindle lift and the BFDs, so I searched the threads for anyone that did the same setup. The op used these wheels with camburg spindles (see posts #46 & #50 in this thread.). And I found TacoDaddy's build where he used maxtrac spindles with BFDs.

I contacted Dustin to see what he thought about my desired lift setup and these wheels, and he didn't think I would have any problems based on his build and a customer's similar setup. So I pulled the trigger on this setup.

There is no rubbing at all and I didn't need to trim anything. Before I lifted the truck I removed the front mud flaps and that small piece (looks like a mini mud flap) in front of the front tires, so I am not sure if the tires would have rubbed on those.

The spindles push the fronts out about 1-1/4", so I'm running Spidertrax spacers on the rear only. Now all the wheels are sticking 1-1/4" past the fender flares.
Thank you very much for posting your experience. It's very helpful to anyone else thinking about this setup.

We do have the Camburg spindles on our truck, and we did have the BFDs (18x9" / 0mm offset / 5" backspacing) on there for a while with 285/65R18 tires. No spacers, and it did not rub on the suspension at all. I've since switched it out to FN Five Stars with 35" tires.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #520
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Thanx! Glad to hear that! I would love to see a pic of graphite gunmetal on a silver Taco, anyone have any?