Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > Wheels & Tires Marketplace

Notices

18x9 BFD Wheels

Reply
 
* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #501
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget View Post
You got PM!
Response sent! Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #502
Member
nugget is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jun 2013, #106679
Location: Saskatchewan
Gender: Male
Posts: 32
nugget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Response sent! Thank you!
Hey Dustin,

Just wondering if you got my last message regarding a quote to ship to Canada. Let me know, thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #503
Junior Member
ares650 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #62804
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Dustin,

Have you planned to try to make the wheels in a different offset or width ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #504
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget View Post
Hey Dustin,

Just wondering if you got my last message regarding a quote to ship to Canada. Let me know, thanks!
Hi Kemp,

Yes, I just sent you a response with a quote.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ares650 View Post
Hey Dustin,

Have you planned to try to make the wheels in a different offset or width ?
The main request that I'm getting right now is coming from older Landcruiser guys for a little narrower wheel. I haven't had too many requests for any other widths or offsets, but we did get a couple for a wider wheel with lower offset.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #505
Junior Member
ares650 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #62804
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Yea.... maybe a 9.5 or 10? And maybe a 3.75 to 4.5 backspacing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #506
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares650 View Post
Yea.... maybe a 9.5 or 10? And maybe a 3.75 to 4.5 backspacing.
Would this be for your FJ Cruiser, or for another vehicle?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #507
Junior Member
ares650 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #62804
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Would this be for your FJ Cruiser, or for another vehicle?
I was thinking about it. On the FJ I am running the 18*9 ET0 with a 1.5" spacer. I know my setup would work out to be 18*9 et-36 or something like that. I just feel that a 295 needs more width.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #508
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares650 View Post
I was thinking about it. On the FJ I am running the 18*9 ET0 with a 1.5" spacer. I know my setup would work out to be 18*9 et-36 or something like that. I just feel that a 295 needs more width.
9" width is actually pretty darn good for a 295/65R18 or 295/70R18.

The problem with going wider (say a 9.5" or 10" wide wheel) is that it can be difficult to keep the bead of the tire seated if you go offroad and air down the tires. I know for you specifically in Florida this isn't too big of an issue, because there isn't a lot of rock crawling down there. For some of our customers that like to crawl and need to air down it might present a problem if we were to make the wheels wider.

295/65R18 has an approved rim width range of 8.0" to 10.0", and 295/70R18 has an approved rim width of 7.5" to 10.0". We're pretty much safely in the middle with 9" on the BFDs, so you don't have anything to worry about with your 295's.

I personally think your FJ looks pretty badass the way you have it setup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #509
Junior Member
ares650 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #62804
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
ares650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
9" width is actually pretty darn good for a 295/65R18 or 295/70R18.

The problem with going wider (say a 9.5" or 10" wide wheel) is that it can be difficult to keep the bead of the tire seated if you go offroad and air down the tires. I know for you specifically in Florida this isn't too big of an issue, because there isn't a lot of rock crawling down there. For some of our customers that like to crawl and need to air down it might present a problem if we were to make the wheels wider.

295/65R18 has an approved rim width range of 8.0" to 10.0", and 295/70R18 has an approved rim width of 7.5" to 10.0". We're pretty much safely in the middle with 9" on the BFDs, so you don't have anything to worry about with your 295's.

I personally think your FJ looks pretty badass the way you have it setup.
Don't worry......I know that for an low pressure case, narrow is better and with a 9" wheel I am fine up to I think almost a 325. I was just asking about maybe wider or more offset possible in the future. For me the lowest I bring the tires down to is about 26psi and about 55psi on the highway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #510
Truong A Long A Ding Dong
datzdorki304 is on a distinguished road
 
datzdorki304's Avatar
Name: Steven
Joined: Jul 2011, #60719
Location: Houston, Tx
Gender: Male
Posts: 27
datzdorki304's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Dustin,

I'm definitely interested in a set of these nice sexy wheels. Got a phone number?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #512
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares650 View Post
I was thinking about it. On the FJ I am running the 18*9 ET0 with a 1.5" spacer. I know my setup would work out to be 18*9 et-36 or something like that. I just feel that a 295 needs more width.
Quote:
Originally Posted by datzdorki304 View Post
Hey Dustin,

I'm definitely interested in a set of these nice sexy wheels. Got a phone number?
Thank you! (951)735-1100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for all your help. I'll send more pictures when I get a chance. This is off of Auto Customs' site:



Maxtrac spindles, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs, and graphite BFDs.

Randy
Lookin' good Randy! You're welcome, and thank you too! How does the ride feel?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #513
Member
808state is on a distinguished road
 
808state's Avatar
Name: Randy
Joined: Jan 2013, #94707
Location: Hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
808state's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Lookin' good Randy! You're welcome, and thank you too! How does the ride feel?
Hey Dustin,

I am really impressed with the ride. It is a little stiffer than stock, but not overly harsh. I'll get you those pictures next weekend, there's a truck cruise and I gotta get the truck detailed.

Randy
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #514
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
Hey Dustin,

I am really impressed with the ride. It is a little stiffer than stock, but not overly harsh. I'll get you those pictures next weekend, there's a truck cruise and I gotta get the truck detailed.

Randy
Sweet! Thank you! I'm glad everything turned out well for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #515
Sticker Making Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: C
Joined: Mar 2013, #100265
Location: Hawaii
Gender: Dude
Posts: 955
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
Hey Dustin,

Thanks for all your help. I'll send more pictures when I get a chance. This is off of Auto Customs' site:



Maxtrac spindles, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs, and graphite BFDs.

Randy
Randy,

are you running spacers on the wheels? I thought with Maxtrac spindles the max backspace was 4.5" and these wheels wouldnt fit.

hows the clearance looking?

Do the tires stick out past the fenders too?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #516
Senior Member
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of
 
tacomalimited's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2013, #94500
Location: Northern NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 439
tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I want a set, Not sure they'll fit my truck though. My truck is completely stock, it came with 18"x7 1/2 wheels, with 265/60/18 tires. Can I put those tires on the 18x9 wheels, without the wheels sticking out past the wheel well? If so,Not sure if I want gun metal or black, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
18x9 BFD Wheels-paperartist_2013-07-17_17-57-55.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #517
Senior Member
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Shaggs's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2012, #73708
Location: NorCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,399
Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery


BFDs with OEM Dueller 265/60-18... looks good enough to use up the first set of tires and THEN switch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #518
Member
808state is on a distinguished road
 
808state's Avatar
Name: Randy
Joined: Jan 2013, #94707
Location: Hawaii
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
808state's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoy808 View Post
Randy,

are you running spacers on the wheels? I thought with Maxtrac spindles the max backspace was 4.5" and these wheels wouldnt fit.

hows the clearance looking?

Do the tires stick out past the fenders too?
I really wanted a spindle lift and the BFDs, so I searched the threads for anyone that did the same setup. The op used these wheels with camburg spindles (see posts #46 & #50 in this thread.). And I found TacoDaddy's build where he used maxtrac spindles with BFDs.

I contacted Dustin to see what he thought about my desired lift setup and these wheels, and he didn't think I would have any problems based on his build and a customer's similar setup. So I pulled the trigger on this setup.

There is no rubbing at all and I didn't need to trim anything. Before I lifted the truck I removed the front mud flaps and that small piece (looks like a mini mud flap) in front of the front tires, so I am not sure if the tires would have rubbed on those.

The spindles push the fronts out about 1-1/4", so I'm running Spidertrax spacers on the rear only. Now all the wheels are sticking 1-1/4" past the fender flares.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #519
JdMeF9SiR2 [OP] JdMeF9SiR2 is offline
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdMeF9SiR2's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2010, #35758
Location: Riverside CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,080
JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalimited View Post
I want a set, Not sure they'll fit my truck though. My truck is completely stock, it came with 18"x7 1/2 wheels, with 265/60/18 tires. Can I put those tires on the 18x9 wheels, without the wheels sticking out past the wheel well? If so,Not sure if I want gun metal or black, what do you think?
They'll definitely fit, and you won't have any rubbing at all. The wheels will poke out just a little bit while looking down the side of the truck from the front. It's a nice stance.

I have mounted this exact setup for a few local customers.

My color suggestion would be graphite gunmetal. I think it looks awesome with the silver. Matte black doesn't look bad either, but I am very partial to graphite gunmetal BFDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post


BFDs with OEM Dueller 265/60-18... looks good enough to use up the first set of tires and THEN switch.
Excellent photo for confirmation! Thank you, and I agree! Not a bad way to put those OEM Bridgestones to good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
I really wanted a spindle lift and the BFDs, so I searched the threads for anyone that did the same setup. The op used these wheels with camburg spindles (see posts #46 & #50 in this thread.). And I found TacoDaddy's build where he used maxtrac spindles with BFDs.

I contacted Dustin to see what he thought about my desired lift setup and these wheels, and he didn't think I would have any problems based on his build and a customer's similar setup. So I pulled the trigger on this setup.

There is no rubbing at all and I didn't need to trim anything. Before I lifted the truck I removed the front mud flaps and that small piece (looks like a mini mud flap) in front of the front tires, so I am not sure if the tires would have rubbed on those.

The spindles push the fronts out about 1-1/4", so I'm running Spidertrax spacers on the rear only. Now all the wheels are sticking 1-1/4" past the fender flares.
Thank you very much for posting your experience. It's very helpful to anyone else thinking about this setup.

We do have the Camburg spindles on our truck, and we did have the BFDs (18x9" / 0mm offset / 5" backspacing) on there for a while with 285/65R18 tires. No spacers, and it did not rub on the suspension at all. I've since switched it out to FN Five Stars with 35" tires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #520
Senior Member
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of
 
tacomalimited's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2013, #94500
Location: Northern NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 439
tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Thanx! Glad to hear that! I would love to see a pic of graphite gunmetal on a silver Taco, anyone have any?
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
off my tacoma 2010 droppstarr 18x9 wheels ktrain71 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 2 06-21-2011 07:59 PM
F.S.> 18x9 jrmotorsports wheels nick Buy / Sell / Trade 3 04-17-2011 07:02 PM
18x9 KMC Hoss Wheels (Black) stikkimikki87 Buy / Sell / Trade 2 04-20-2009 06:09 PM
285/60/18 on 18X9 wheels questions 4milestogo Wheels & Tires 5 08-18-2008 12:05 AM
285/0/18 on 18X9 wheels questions 4milestogo Wheels & Tires 0 08-17-2008 06:21 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.