1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Mickey's for Nitto's the Best Buy?!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires Marketplace' started by Lostoam311, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Lostoam311

Lostoam311 [OP] YETI

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 YETI
    Spec D headlights (garbage, Do not buy) replaced bulb with H7 80W Osram Off Road bulb so I could actually see. The lights they send do not put off any light at all and it's impossible to see anything at night... TOYO Open County AT III's (smooth ride, not loud) with Matte Black 17-In. TRD PRO Wheels Plasti dipped emblems and Bull Bar (Lasted about 2 years, need to spray them again)
    I have a set of Mickey Thompson 265/75 R16's that I'm looking to get rid of...

They have been on my 03 Taco for a year in October with only about 11,000 miles... Looking to sell them and get an All Terrain Tire... I was going to start at $450 OBO for the tires only...

I'm Looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70 R16's to cut down road noise and hopefully get better gas mileage... I was also looking at Falken Wild Peak's or Goodyear Wrangler A/T's and I even found a killer deal on some BFG's Rugged Trail's all same size...

I've been reading a lot on here and other sites about road noise and I guess I'm looking for some personal feedback on which would be the better way to go... Cost is a major issue and I'd like to get as much as I can for the Mickey's... I live in Pensacola, FL and not looking to ship the Mickey's cuz it can get costly... The new tires I've actually found online used and new for as little as $200 for 60% tread left... (plus install of course)

I'm really leaning towards the Nitto Terra Grapplers or the BFG Rugged Trail's are my 2nd choice... will I be happy with any of these (cut down road noise? increase gas mileage? still have somewhat of an aggressive look??!)

Kinda gettin down to the wire now cuz I'd really like to get these by Christmas before the New Year... Thanks for the help!

And I kinda need new tires on my truck before I can sell the Mickey's... so I can definitely post pics of the Mickey's in the meantime... Doing a lot of Highway driving with work so I'm having to drive the Rav4 cuz of gas mileage and my Taco is just sitting there... Hit me up please!

2. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/18. Had them for a few thousand miles now and havnt had any real problems. The only kinda down side is in rain they arent the absolute best; from a stop and a quick start they will spin kinda easy, but you gotta "punch" it a little for it to happen. As far as hydroplaning or stuff, its not really bad with that, that ive noticed anyway. I like em, and will most likely get them again once these wear out. Ive heard good things as far as off road and snow conditions. Hope this helps.

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    Lostoam311

Lostoam311 [OP] YETI

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 YETI
    Spec D headlights (garbage, Do not buy) replaced bulb with H7 80W Osram Off Road bulb so I could actually see. The lights they send do not put off any light at all and it's impossible to see anything at night... TOYO Open County AT III's (smooth ride, not loud) with Matte Black 17-In. TRD PRO Wheels Plasti dipped emblems and Bull Bar (Lasted about 2 years, need to spray them again)
    Thanks, helps a lot bro! I'm leaning towards the Nitto's right now cuz I found a place online for a set of 4 for $500 not including shipping... Out in Nevada somewhere... but the Rugged Trails are only $200 and 2 hours away so I might end up with those just to get by... still up in the air... Thanks for the feedback!

4. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    they are called BFG Rugged Fails if that's a clue, but if you are street status, you should be ok for a while...

i hear that Nittos are good...

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    Dantwenty2

Dantwenty2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saugus, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB
    Fox 2.0 coilovers, yellow fogs, Peltyfry bed light bar with Rigid Duallys.
    I have Rugged Trails on now and I can tell you from experience on anything other than pavement they suck! If that is all you want them for though they are quiet and ride nice.

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Rugged terrains look good, nittos dont get many miles, cooper at3's is what i have and love them. Rugged trails were factory on your truck.

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Lostoam311

Lostoam311 [OP] YETI

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 YETI
    AT3's look good and about the same price as the Nitto's... I found Rims4Less.com has Nitto's for $500 plus shipping... ebay has the AT3's for less than $600 including shipping but I gotta factor in mount and balance cost...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top