Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheels weights keeps coming off

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels weights keeps coming off

Keep losing them while driving. I had the stick on ones that are flat and the ones that clip on the edge of the rims (fugly IMO). What can I do? I have balanced my wheels twice...once last Thursday and once yesterday...already lost the driver side clip on one...all I see if the passenger side. Should I just drive w/o the driverside? The wait is unbareable to just have them balanced again. Sighhhh
Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
When your getting them balanced tell the tire guys no big weights. Make them rotate the rubber if the weight is going to be large. There should be a spot there where they will be a hell of a lot smaller. Big weights fall off to damn easy.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I am tired of going back to Les Schwab but my tires are from them so it is free to balance and rotate. They blame me for the way I drive.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
You could also look at using EQUAL or another inertial balancing product...
X2

I had EQUAL in my Jeep. In fact, I have two bags of the stuff that I'm trying to sell right now.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #6

That goes inside the tires?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
How does that Equal work with the tire pressure sensors? Does it bang the shit out of them?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
TRIBE 10
jnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: F-18 E/F(Super Hornet) Aviation Electronics Technician (AT2)
Name: Jay
jnoley07's Tacoma Gallery
Those clip on ones suck!!! I kept throwing them too. I had those on the inside and had to keep getting balanced.
I finally got a tech that knew his stuff and he put the sticky ones on after cleaning the inside of the wheel off really good and I havent had a problem yet.
My advice is make sure they are cleaning the wheel before the slap them on, if not, the weight is not going to stick to the wheel the way it is supposed to leading to it coming off as you are driving.
as for them blaming it on your driving, I would tell them to do their job and not worry about your driving, but thats just me.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
How does that Equal work with the tire pressure sensors? Does it bang the shit out of them?
It does go inside the tires.

Good question TRAP - before deciding on EQUAL, ask your mechanic if you can even use EQUAL with the TPMS sensors. You probably can't use it with the TPMS. Sorry, never even thought about it.

When you get EQUAL installed (so to speak), they give you new valve stems/cores with little filters in them to prevent the stuff from coming out when you airup/down.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #10

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
I went to there web site. this might work with the TPMS's

XACTBalance®

http://www.imiproducts.com/xact/how-xact-works.aspx
It's perplexing, would like to also have a better solution to this problem, I hate those clip on weights cause the fall off but they also screw up your rims. The inside weights just fall off eventually too.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
ccs368 is on a distinguished road
ccs368's Tacoma Gallery
If you're losing clip-on weights frequently, I would also ask your particular shop if they are sure that the correct profile clip-on weight is being used. There're various weight/clip profiles that fit various contours of the rim lip (BADA has MC, FN, etc. etc.) I know most people are responding with adhesive backed weights which is OK but I think addressing the problem directly and finding the root cause is a better solution.