Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

New wheels, new tires, need alignment?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
kikkoman is on a distinguished road

kikkoman's Tacoma Gallery
New wheels, new tires, need alignment?

I somehow got my wife to give the ok on buying new wheels and tires for '09 DC TRD Sport. I'm getting 16x8 mojave's and 265/75/16 BFG AT/KOs (woohoo!). My mechanic is insisting that I get a wheel alignment and not just the balancing. Do I really need to get it done? Luckily (or unluckily), the wheels are back ordered to mid/late July...so i had some time to ponder this. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
it's probably not a bad idea.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't and it tracks straight as an arrow. It won't hurt anything to do it so if you want to pay for it go right ahead.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
No not needed. Guy is just trying to make an extra buck.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
^agreed... not needed
Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
^^ agreed
Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
sch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant future

sch0enne's Tacoma Gallery
yeah like they said. not needed but maybe a good idea if you have the coin
Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I got an alignment done for the first time after 5 1/2 years on mine (installed 5100's). The toe in/toe out which is usually what needs adjustment was still perfect. Personally, unless you see an indicator that it might be out of alignment (uneven tire wire on the worn out set of tires, pulling to one side, steering shake, or you've run into things like curbs really hard with one tire), then I think it's a waste of money. But a lot of tire shops will tell you to get it done each time you get a new set of tires (I wonder why? $$$). Well, I went through three sets before my first alignment and there still weren't any problems!

And remember that if you're going to 265/75 on aftermarket wheels without any lift, you MIGHT need to do some trimming or removal of mudflaps. The 265/75 is the largest size you can go on STOCK rims without rubbing (people tend to forget that little important bit of info).
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Agree, except for the part about vibrations (alignment will not cause vibrations). If your current tires are not wearing irregularly and the truck is tracking properly then there is no need for an alignment just because you get new tires.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
^^ Agree, except for the part about vibrations (alignment will not cause vibrations). If your current tires are not wearing irregularly and the truck is tracking properly then there is no need for an alignment just because you get new tires.
I said steering shake, not vibrations. Steering shake will occur if the toe out is well out of adjustment. Had this problem on past cars (Rx7 for one...and yes, the toe out was severely out of spec. Thought I'd add that here in response to Aero's post below mine.). In those cases, it usually will shake when accelerating and ease up when decelerating. But with the Taco's, I will say that steering shake is usually not caused by an alignment but rather improperly balanced tires.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
I did alignments for 10 years, and never once saw a vibration or steering shake due to alignment. I would imagine if the tires a SEVERELY toed in or out, then yeah, the car may actually hop from the sideways friction.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
kikkoman is on a distinguished road

kikkoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
And remember that if you're going to 265/75 on aftermarket wheels without any lift, you MIGHT need to do some trimming or removal of mudflaps. The 265/75 is the largest size you can go on STOCK rims without rubbing (people tend to forget that little important bit of info).
Hey, thanks for the warning. I guess all the discussions on here have been about the largest you can go on stock SUSPENSION. well, hopefully this tool I used (http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp) was right about clearance.