Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Want to paint my wheels flat black, any advice?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Want to paint my wheels flat black, any advice?

What is the best way of going about painting my stock steel wheels flat black? I don't want to pay to have them powder coated. I'd rather do them myself one day. If any of you have successfully done this please share your procedure and methods.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Sand, primer, paint.

I used rustoleum flat black wheel paint. Came out eggshell. Perfect in my opinion. Just take your time.
x2...thats what I did when I had my stockers and they turned out good....they didn't chip or scratch...even after off roading...use Rustoleum Products (primer and wheel paint) It was very durable
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
ARBman is on a distinguished road
Name: jobro
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
where can u get that paint at i just got a used set of rims and i would like to have some black ones but I'm not buying them new.so just sand and paint
Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Lichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lichen's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a can of aircraft paint remover at Autozone. That will take off any clear coat on the wheels. That will really cut down on sanding. Then primer, paint, clear-coat. I'm a doofus and I did it.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #9

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Did you actually wet sand or were you just mentioning it as another option?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
i used krylon camoflauge ultra flat and it came out ok, but after i mudded dirt was stuck in the pores of the paint and was a bitch to get off, ended up chipping off a bit with the power washer.. When i re-do it i will look for a satin, maybe rustoleum flat, hopefully will get a more sealed paint that will be easier to clean...

Good luck, be sure to take your time, runs suck! also tape off your toyota emblem really good, and cut out precisely (with tape) if you have sr5 or OR rims, comes out nice!, i think TRD Sports' rims emblems pop off for your enjoyment...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #13

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would paint the Toyota logo black too.

Yea, I think I'm going to paint it all flat black. I just debadged, flat blacked out my front emblem and rebadged my rear emblem with flat black. I ordered the avid off road bull bar which will also be flat black. It looks sick on the magnetic grey, I figured painting my wheels would be the kill.

did you use any specific type of rustoleum primer?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #16

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!

what did you guys do about the lug nuts? Same procedure (sand,prime, and paint)? They're very chrome you know. Also, did the painted nuts hold up after using a tire iron on them?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
do I need to do any extra step with these wheels, and do you think they will look good black?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
only one person has said clear coat..does it help much?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #19

Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rustoleum self etching primer.

2 cans of primer and 2 cans of black should do 3 coats of each on all 4 wheels. Maybe even 4 coats.

Just take your time and don't cake on each coat. That's how you get runs.
Are your wheel balancing weights exposed? and if so, did you just paint over them?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wetsanded it. The sandpaper you buy should say wet or dry. Then just use a hose. You shouldn't have to wash the wheel first because the sandpaper will clean it. Unless it's super dirty.
I disagree. Wash the piss out of the wheels/tires BEFORE you sand. Armor all/tire dressings will not allow paint to stick to wheels unless completely removed. Was thourougly w/'Dawn' dishsoap, then wipe down with 'Prep-Sol' or equal product. Then wet sand 400/600 grit. Grab a couple of red Scotchbrite pads too for the nooks & crannies. PM me if you need details ~Guy