Notices

Chrome flaking

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
TacomaEX is on a distinguished road
Army:
TacomaEX's Tacoma Gallery
Chrome flaking

I have an '06 Tacoma with stock wheels, about a year ago, I noticed that the chrome that they sprayed on the wheels was startign to wear off, now Ive got sections of the wheels that have no chrome whatsoever and it looks like absolute crap. Does anyone else have this problem? I wann buy some new wheels but damn, theyre expensive.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what stock wheels you are talking about that are chromed.

I know that a bunch of people have reported problems with bubbling and peeling on their TRD sport rims.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Not sure what stock wheels you are talking about that are chromed.

I know that a bunch of people have reported problems with bubbling and peeling on their TRD sport rims.

I think it's a regional package. We have tons of stock chrome rims in TX on the 2nd gen prerunners.

Edit: Just saw you're in TX. Maybe it's just this area, lol.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Got the same problem. Thinking about going FJ wheels or powercoating black.

Note: I don't have chrome, just some paint to look like alloy wheels.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I remember some other guy had the same problem and got his dealer to replace them under warranty, but I see you have an 06 so you probably are no longer under warranty? If it bothers you I would just invest in a new set eventually. You can find a nice set for relatively cheap. Or you could try sanding and painting them?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffymonkey View Post
I think it's a regional package. We have tons of stock chrome rims in TX on the 2nd gen prerunners.

Edit: Just saw you're in TX. Maybe it's just this area, lol.
Yeah that's what I was getting at. Wondering if he has the "Gulf States" wheels, but he didn't post his location.

Those things are EVERYWHERE down here ...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaEX View Post
I have an '06 Tacoma with stock wheels, about a year ago, I noticed that the chrome that they sprayed on the wheels was startign to wear off, now Ive got sections of the wheels that have no chrome whatsoever and it looks like absolute crap. Does anyone else have this problem? I wann buy some new wheels but damn, theyre expensive.

TacomaEX,

Just wondering what (if anything) you ended up doing about this? I have the same problem. I have Gulf States wheels and chrome is looking like sh*t. I have considered everything from new wheels, buying some used wheels off of craigslist, to sanding them and painting them silver. The latter would be the cheapest solution but I'd have to find a full day 1/2 to 2 days to do this.

Just wondering if you've found a solution. I'd love to know if anyone got them replaced with a warranty. I have an extended warranty.