Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What Tire Changing Tool to use for New Wheels?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
What Tire Changing Tool to use for New Wheels?

I bought the moto metal 951s and of course my stock tire changing tool doesn't fit the new lug nuts. Does anyone know of another good tool to use? Got a link?

Thansk guys!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry. If I want to keep something in the truck to loosen the lug nuts in case I need to change a tire, I was just wandering what would be best to use. I've been using a long torque wrench and a metric socket but I don't want to keep the torque wrench in the truck.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
SNOT is on a distinguished road
SNOT's Tacoma Gallery
How about a BRAIN? Try a "star wrench" if that doesn't work
Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed99 View Post
Sorry. If I want to keep something in the truck to loosen the lug nuts in case I need to change a tire, I was just wandering what would be best to use. I've been using a long torque wrench and a metric socket but I don't want to keep the torque wrench in the truck.

Thanks!
Take one of the lug nuts to an auto store. They'll be able to find what you need.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
any 4 way lug wrench should work too

i keep one in the patrol car
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
18" breaker bar with the correct size thin wall socket.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
And note the clearance between lug and rim - you might need a special thin wall socket.

Who put them on - ask them?
oh i forgot about that...good call
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #9

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
I put them on. Yeah it will need to be a thin walled socket.

It will also need to come out away from the rim more than the stock tool so it will clear the tire when I turn it.

So does anyone have a link to any such tool? Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
This is similar to what I use (Craftsman instead of Harbor Freight), but you get the idea. The pivoting head makes it easy to turn away from the tire...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...bar-30396.html

Add a thin-wall deep socket, ta-daa...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
betz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud ofbetz.steven has much to be proud of

Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: Steve
betz.steven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Since we are talking about tire replacement - if you lift it make sure your jack goes up high enough to swap out your tires. Just ran into this issue in the woods the other day....good thing for another Taco being there
what exactly would you reccomend? besides carrying another jack of course. at this point ive thought about taking my spare off because there is no way my jack will reach
Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #12

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
This is similar to what I use (Craftsman instead of Harbor Freight), but you get the idea. The pivoting head makes it easy to turn away from the tire...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...bar-30396.html

Add a thin-wall deep socket, ta-daa...

Thanks! That will be perfect!