Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need Help Painting Wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
RI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: I drive boats and save people.
Name: Jeff
RI06TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help Painting Wheels

I would like to paint my 2006 17" sport wheels this weekend due to corrosion/lack of money for new wheels...I have researched the topics on here but have yet to find any guidance on painting these specific wheels...only the steel wheels.

I have chipped off the corroded parts and start feathering in...now I need to know what type of paint/# of coats is reccomended. I will be cleaning them with alcohol thoroughly once complete and rough sanding the entire wheel. Planning on Flat Black.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
RI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura about
bump
Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Silver06Taco is on a distinguished road
Silver06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I painted my Sport wheels basically the same way as on various threads for painting wheels on TW and they came out great. I wet sanded the areas I painted. Then sprayed 3-5 light coats to get even coverage and no runs. After the last coat dried, I sprayed 3-5 coats of clear on. The cans will have the recommended coats to put on, just don't do less than what it say's and you'll be fine.

I've only had one scuff on it and that is from the tire shop who put my new tires on.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Never done it myself, but have heard that you should use self-etching primer for painting over chromed wheels.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
09Tacomania's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Never done it myself, but have heard that you should use self-etching primer for painting over chromed wheels.
I dont believe the 17" sport wheels are chromed if they are origanal equipt? I'd say polished aluminum?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
tdubd is on a distinguished road
tdubd's Tacoma Gallery
whats up man...pretty easy to do...take your wheels off and use a wire brush, high grade sand paper or you can just use a scotch bright pad to scuff the wheels up. I used high test caliper paint (satin black $7 a can). Its a lot more durable. Then just clean the wheels really well and tape them off so you don't get overspray on the tires. I used blue painters tape and newspaper.

Then just lightly do 1 coat and then 2 more coats to get every area covered. Let them dry and don't put the wheels back on right away. The paint will be a little soft and your tire iron could slip and chip it a little bit. Heres what mine look like.....good luck! Post some pics when you get done.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Tdubd_ thanks for the info and pic..I am starting mine tonight...Put some pics up by Monday.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
I've heard that you should use self-etching primer for painting over chromed wheels.
X2 for any type of rattle can job.

I painted mine and I wheel pretty hard some times. So far no chipping flaking or scratches.

If you want your wheels to turn out follow these steps.

Items you need: Rustolium self etching primer 2 cans, krylon flat black 2-3 cans, steel whool (from home deopt or lowes etc...) rubbing alcohol, blue shop towels.

Step one, remove any surface dust or particles from the wheels by washing them. Let them dry or use compressed to blow the water off.

Step two, scuff up the wheels with the steel whool (make sure to get in the edges and any exterior wheel weights.

Step three, scuff the wheels up again (it's key for a good paint job)

Step four, clean the wheels off with the rubbing alcohol and blue shop towels (make sure it's really clean).

Step five, spray the wheel with the self etching primer and let dry (repeat two more times for a total of 3 coats)

Step six, coat the wheels with the flat black spray paint (repeat twice more {once with a heavy coat and the last with a light texture coating})

Step seven, let them dry overnight and enjoy the new ride.

I also painted my painted my hub caps in the same way and they came out great.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa guys...I was pretty set against painting my stock sport rims...but you guys make it look like a great way to go...at least until I can afford the custom rims I have picked out.

Nice jobs...all of you!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
Whoa guys...I was pretty set against painting my stock sport rims...but you guys make it look like a great way to go...at least until I can afford the custom rims I have picked out.

Nice jobs...all of you!

It's a cheap alternative, and it can come out looking really nice if you take your time.