Notices

need some recommendations on tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
trd taco guy is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
trd taco guy's Tacoma Gallery
need some recommendations on tires

my stock duelers are going to be replaced soon and i wanted some advice or recommendations on what I should replace them with.

I have a trd sport with 17" rims and stock ride height with rear tsb. i want to run a little bigger tire something like 265/70/17. But here is my situation im a sales guy and have put 34 k miles on my truck in 10 months so im looking for a tire with a good tread life but im also looking to go a bit more aggressive. one for looks and two I drive on job sites a lot and have cut the sidewall pretty good on my duelers once or twice and would like some added traction for muddy jobs and rough terrain.

so what would you guys recommend?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
AN21489 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
AN21489's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a student in Columbia, SC so obviously I'm on the pavement a good bit. But I'm also from a very small town and I do a lot of hunting and riding around on our land. I had the Duellers and they pretty much sucked but I stuck with them until they wore down.

I looked around for a LONG time and I ended up opting for the Firestone Destination MT's....265/70/17. I had never owned any aggressive tire. They fit fine and look absolutely awesome. I couldn't be happier with them. They are a slight bit louder than the Duellers but it's nothing annoying and to be honest the ride might actually be smoother. The dude at the Firestone dealership tried to talk me out of them and I was almost going to go with the AT's because I was really worried about road noise but now that I have them I couldn't be happier. They're a REALLY tough tire off road and can handle stuff off-road that I used to be only able to wave at with the Duellers. And on road they are very very good, so anyways that my recommendation.

I price matched them so that was a good move, I ended up saving $400.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
BFG All Terrains is what you want man they are tough as hell look aggressive and last a long time, I got like 70,000 out of my last set.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
well if you want a tire that is going to last a long time go with the Michelin ltx ms, you will safely get about 90k out of them! But if you want a tire for looks go for the Yokohama geolander. I think both of them have a 3 ply sidewall.

my brother has the Michelin ltx at2 on his tacoma, they look pretty good!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
My two cents... they are 265/70/R17
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
Old 07-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
x2!!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Agreed. This is what I plan on getting (except a different size). They're rated all terrain, so the tread should last and ride pretty well. Of course the tread speaks for itself for aggressiveness. Probably one of the most aggressive AT tire available.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
General grabber at2. I had a set on a 2wd chevy. They ran well in snow and light mud compared to regular street tires. They're cheaper than BFG but have roughly the same tread pattern.

I will be getting a set of grabbers for my truck this month.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I have Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. Great tire, quiet on the road, minimal loss in gas mileage, excellent in mud and snow...I haven't wheeled them on hunting grounds or anything like that, but I've never had trouble on 2-tracks and snow covered roads and trails. I have about 40k miles on them and the treads at about 8/32.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
superbikedad is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
superbikedad's Tacoma Gallery
How about Hankooks Dyna pro AT's. Looked at some over the weekend at Discount Tire and they are nice. 60,000 mile tire with agressive tread. Keep in mind with those tires you have a choice between the c rating witch is a P265/70/17 or an E rating with 10ply side wall witch is an LT 265/70/17. They have the same tread design but with the LT the tread is deeper. I dont have them yet but have heard great things about them. Buying them within the next month myself.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
trd taco guy is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
trd taco guy's Tacoma Gallery
SO the time has come that i am def. gonna need to get some new tires before winter just put three plugs in my tires in the past three weeks. One concern that i have is if i upgrade to a 265/70/17 and leave my spare with the stock tire size will i run into issues if i ever have to use it. i know i cant run on seperate tires sizes for a prolonged period of time but will it hurt my truck bad if i just run on the spare till i can fix the larger tire? (aka a few days to a week) keep in mind i drive alot for work about a 1k a week
Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The problem with dissimmilar size tires is that the differential gears turn as if you are cornering. You are asking for a failure running an odd size tire.
The reason they use an odd size temp spare is because they tell you to run no faster than 55 mph and no farther than 50 miles. One reason is loss of stability, the other is mechanical damage.
Put a matching spare in the bed till you can get a spare carrier for the bumper.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT2 would be great for you if you're on the road a lot. Good mileage out of them too.

Sounds like you really want some BFG AT KOs though. They last forever and are damn near indestructible.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
BFG A/T. I can put whatever tire I want to on my truck (Manager for Discount Tire) and I choose the BFG A/T because of the proven performance both off road (multiple BAJA championships) and on road (I typically see around 60-70k out of them, provided proper rotation and balance)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
Michelin LTX AT2 would be great for you if you're on the road a lot. Good mileage out of them too.

Sounds like you really want some BFG AT KOs though. They last forever and are damn near indestructible.
I would follow with this advice. We have the Michelins on a Dodge Diesel 2500. That truck chews through tires and the Mich is all that we can get to stand up for an on-road tire. However, it's a 2WD and with those tires it gets stuck in anything less that hard packed gravel.

The BFGs are intensely popular, and will be well suited for most anything you toss at it. My offroad run leader used them through moab, TSF, Reiter, and other places and didn't see a need for MTs. I don't expect them to get a tread life of the Mich though