Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How To Video: Change a Tire on the Tacoma ( high def )

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
Gallo is on a distinguished road
Gallo's Tacoma Gallery
always have basic information in mid is really helpfull great vid
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Nice honest approach.

You did fine in the video. Important thing is that the jack is on level solid ground and makes solid contact with what's being jacked... don't want it to slip. I jack from the axle regularly. Other good points are the frame as ktm showed. The front tires are much harder due to the IFS suspension; make sure you chose a nonmoving part that is solid. Since I have a lift it's a pain, I use the frame and jack like crazy.

Your tire might be alright. Damage to tread area can sometimes be repaired. Damage to sidewall is always - dead tire.

Other tips:

-Never use ramps. They are unsafe. If you want to argue, I have a gravesite you can visit.
=I would try avoiding jack points that lift more than one wheel at a time. Less stuff in the air = safer.
-always use wheel chocks. Sandbags, really big rocks, large firewood quarters, etc. can work, doesn't need to be terribly fancy. I use railroad ties that are cut in 1' lengths. Chock the wheel on both sides (front and back)
-Invest in a good jack. The emergency jack isn't that great and is slow, also more dangerous since it has a small area of contact. Also, you might forget to put it back!
-Jack stands are also good. A jack can "fade" (release pressure) and drop. Jack stands have pins or levers that prevent this from happening.
-if you jack is too small (can't raise wheel high enough) you can place a block of wood on the cup to act as a spacer. I only recommend this with jacks that have a large cup. I only do this when jacking against flat pieces of the truck, such as the frame. It isn't Ideal... but I'm not buying a lift :P
-never place yourself under a jacked up vehicle that isn't on jack stands. In general, don't be under the vehicle if possible.
-wheels can be heavy. Instead of dead-lifting it on, use a pry bar as a lever. Put the pry bar flat on the ground, put tire on top. With one hand on the tire, lift up on the pry bar. The tire will raise, and you can do this to position the tire up onto the lugs.
-as soon as possible, torque the lug nuts to factory spec. Only torque on wheels that aren't jacked up. When done, loosen the torque on your wrench before putting the tool away (such as 20 lbs). This relieves pressure on the wrench
-Get some anti-seize. I currently have a brush-in-can of Lawson Lubri-Temp Mark XXII. Brush the lug bolts with a bit of this and it will make your lugs easier to take off, and add a bit of protection. Some folks think that it might loosen the lugs over time, but there's nothing to worry about with a properly torqued wheel. I've got 500k miles to prove it, too.
To add to this, another trick is when you take off your tire, throw it under the truck either under the axle or the front suspension when you're under the truck. The wheel rim is about the same thickness of a human chest and might just be enough to stop it from crushing your ass.

Always let other people know what you're doing and to check on you in regular 10 minute intervals when you're under a truck.

Realistically, 3 minutes without oxygen will start turning you into a vegetable, but would you rather act like an 8 year old for the rest of your life in a padded room or be laying in an oak box 6 feet under?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #23
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
To add to this, another trick is when you take off your tire, throw it under the truck either under the axle or the front suspension when you're under the truck. The wheel rim is about the same thickness of a human chest and might just be enough to stop it from crushing your ass.

Always let other people know what you're doing and to check on you in regular 10 minute intervals when you're under a truck.
Very awesome additions

Quote:
Realistically, 3 minutes without oxygen will start turning you into a vegetable, but would you rather act like an 8 year old for the rest of your life in a padded room or be laying in an oak box 6 feet under?
I already act like an 8 year old half the time
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #24
Jpwarrior is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: 1st Class Engineer/E-6
Name: Justin
Jpwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Good video! Love it when you flipped off the old tire. That rim must have been hot or, you were just mad at the flat. Either way I was LMAO. Again, Great Vid!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #25
Morto un papa, se ne fa un'altro
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: EOD TEU1, MU 8, BUD/s 225, MA 9545
Name: Jason
motorsport36's Tacoma Gallery
Great info. Probably one of those things we take for granted until it happens to us!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Thank You, Good Video.
The "Dry Run" is an excellent point.
A 35° rainy night on a narrow winding road in the middle of nowhere...
is NOT the place for your "1st Time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
X2!
Also might be a good idea to double check them with a torque wrench.
And check the torque again after 50-100 miles

CC
Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
YotaMark is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
YotaMark's Tacoma Gallery
Great video,, and you changed it with Flip Flops on. nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acozzens View Post
I recently got a flat tire, but I also enjoy making videos and how-to's on occasion. My last one was the Pac Swi-Jack in Audio / Video section.

So, I made a high def tire change video( 7 min ). Since I recorded the process when I was replacing it I put threw some time in to edit it.

I didn't find much good info on the Taco Flat, so I made my own vid.
Might be sticky-able, but don't know how often someone would really need to watch it. I'm more computer savvy than mechanical so it took me a little while to swap out the tire, but now I get it..

2 tricky parts were : 1 releasing spare, and knowing exactly where to jack. these are covered in the video.

Anyways, I hope someone finds it helpful, I was trying to make a sticky-ready one stop how to change a flat tire video for the forum.
( let me know if this is not the best spot for this post )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwdCYqPvjlQ
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Go to walmart and get one of these:

and one of these:

and one of these:

All for around $60. Will fit behind seat or in the back and makes life a lot easier when you are on the emergency lane of the freeway down slope with cars whizzing by at 75 mph like I was a month ago.

These 12 volt cigarette lighter inflaters are good to have too incase your spare is low or you just need to inflate a slow leak tire on the way home:

Old 10-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #29
gandhii is on a distinguished road
gandhii's Tacoma Gallery
Meh... chances are you'll get the flat at night in the middle of January while it is pouring down rain. Just saying you're going to be pissed and miserable either way so you might as well save some gas by not hauling a 3 ton jack with you for several years before you finally use it... if at all.

I think this thread contains some over-compensation and lawyer fear. With that said, it is a good simple video for the basics. It was annoying to try and figure out how to get the spare out from under there when I had to do it several years ago. And there are some good basic safety tips pointed out and that mounting points document is useful. But carrying a 3-ton jack around with you everywhere you go!?!? I mean.. come on......
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
justanotherface is on a distinguished road
Marines: 0311 2nd BN 8th Marines- 3rd MARDIV
justanotherface's Tacoma Gallery
thanks.. great job for us new truck owners.

JAF
Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #31
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Go to walmart and get one of these:

Don't need it, use the one from your emergency kit. If you are in the driveway, get an impact wrench from Harbor Freight. I freaking love mine for taking off the nuts (don't use it for putting them back on!). You will still want a torque wrench.

Quote:
and one of these:

too small for the 4x4. You need a 3 ton. for those with lifts, you need a 3 ton with a block to sit on top, I max out my jack. Either way, a 3 ton is too huge to be carrying around unless you get one of those setups like the desert racers have that sit in the bed... I think blackhawke has one?

Quote:
These 12 volt cigarette lighter inflaters are good to have too incase your spare is low or you just need to inflate a slow leak tire on the way home:

too weak, those are meant for small car tires. Get a pump from Q Industries, Viair, or ARB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhii View Post
Meh... chances are you'll get the flat at night in the middle of January while it is pouring down rain. Just saying you're going to be pissed and miserable either way so you might as well save some gas by not hauling a 3 ton jack with you for several years before you finally use it... if at all.
Yes and no - my family was on a gravel road 25 miles from civilization when we got our flat in the family van. The factory jack worked great and got us back into town on the donut.
A full on jack can be a bit ridiculous, but not if it's the only size thing that lifts high enough. Offroaders carry hi-lifts, speed jacks, or some long bottle jacks. On-roaders? AAA or roadside assistance insurance is nicer.

Quote:
lawyer fear.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah this thread is old but...

FWIW when I changed my dad's flat on his Tundra the emergency lug nut wrench just about snapped off!!!

So I got out the 4 way we keep in the truck. That was scary.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Yeah this thread is old but...

FWIW when I changed my dad's flat on his Tundra the emergency lug nut wrench just about snapped off!!!

So I got out the 4 way we keep in the truck. That was scary.
Apparently you've got a faulty one.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
WiscTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior guardian of freedoms.
WiscTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am on my third Tacoma and sadly I can say I have never taken "the spare tire removal process" for a dry run. After reading this thread it definitely has moved up on my to do list though. Thanks for the video and good comments afterwards. A new wrench to store in the truck is a good one.*

*Always keep in mind-secure most items in your truck so that they do not become projectiles. It does and can happen. A Tacoma may save you in a roll over but it can do nothing against tow hitches, etc flying towards your melon.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #36
TygrFsh is on a distinguished road

Air Force: DOD Contractor for a Combat Training Squadron
Name: Tygr
TygrFsh's Tacoma Gallery
For the women in the "house" (works for the guys too of course)...
I've had to change both car and truck tires before and you often run into problems where the lug nuts have been tightened so tight by the last guy/mechanic that may have done some work on your vehicle that you can't budge them when using the standard lug wrench. No worries, there's a way around this! Before you jack it up, when loosening those lug nuts up, just put the lug wrench over the lug nut that isn't budging so that the handle of the wrench extends out parallel with the ground. Once that's done you've just got to put enough muscle, or in most women's cases weight, onto the handle to get it to start turning so you can loosen the lug nuts. Best way to do this is to just step on the handle of the lug wrench. Yep, that's right, grab a firm hand hold on the truck and step up on the handle of the lug wrench to get it to move. In my experience it works every time when your arm strength alone isn't getting the job done. Just remember the righty tighty lefty loosey rule so you're not tightening instead of loosening the lug nuts!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #37
canoe is on a distinguished road
canoe's Tacoma Gallery
My '88 Toyota pickup has the same crank system for the spare tire as my '05 Taco, and I think my '77 Hilux did too. Good design never goes out of style.

With a few years experience to back me up, here are 2 more tips:

1. Check the air pressure in the spare once in a while. Nothing like having an unusable spare tire.

2. Lubricate the crank mechanism when you check the spare tire air pressure. It can become difficult to crank when it gets older. A bit of lube will help prevent corrosion.

A final thought ... an "x" tire iron is sure nice for loosening the lug nuts. Even a cheap one will outperform the standard ones when lug nuts are on really tight.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #38
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe View Post
A final thought ... an "x" tire iron is sure nice for loosening the lug nuts. Even a cheap one will outperform the standard ones when lug nuts are on really tight.
Even better -

1. get the tire iron from the kit and put it on parallel to the ground so that the handle sticks out to the left.
2. Stand on the handle.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #39
merkman has a spectacular aura aboutmerkman has a spectacular aura about
merkman's Tacoma Gallery
I also recommend when getting a new truck home checking and readjusting the torque on the lugnuts. Mine were all over the map along with tire pressure. Some lugs required breaker bar and a PIPE to free them up, others not so bad. Noone wants to run into that on the side of the road. They must just blast them on with the air gun at the factory to keep em moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrFsh View Post
For the women in the "house" (works for the guys too of course)...
I've had to change both car and truck tires before and you often run into problems where the lug nuts have been tightened so tight by the last guy/mechanic that may have done some work on your vehicle that you can't budge them when using the standard lug wrench. No worries, there's a way around this! Before you jack it up, when loosening those lug nuts up, just put the lug wrench over the lug nut that isn't budging so that the handle of the wrench extends out parallel with the ground. Once that's done you've just got to put enough muscle, or in most women's cases weight, onto the handle to get it to start turning so you can loosen the lug nuts. Best way to do this is to just step on the handle of the lug wrench. Yep, that's right, grab a firm hand hold on the truck and step up on the handle of the lug wrench to get it to move. In my experience it works every time when your arm strength alone isn't getting the job done. Just remember the righty tighty lefty loosey rule so you're not tightening instead of loosening the lug nuts!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #40
EddieMonster is on a distinguished road
Name: Eddie
EddieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
old post, but great info! thanks for posting

p.s. love the middle finger to the tire! haha ive shared the same feelings toward my flats before