1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relocate spare tire on 2009 Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by atea, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    grille painted to match body color (black sand pearl), bed mat, intermittent wipers installed, 14" shorty antenna.
    Have 09 Tacoma 4x2 reg. cab that has full-size spare. Was thinking about whether or not to put in bed secured with cable to one of the D-rings instead of leaving it in factory mounted under bed location. Taking up space in the bed is not an issue. I am 68 yrs. old and with my luck will get a flat on a rainy or snowy night in which case, it will be a challenge for me to crawl underneath with those or similar conditions and remove the spare. Anyone else relocated their spare for similar reasons? Was also thinking about whether to just get an "extra spare" (15", 5-lug rim) from a junkyard and just leave it in the bed for convenience. This way I would have two spares. I did this with a '94 Nissan 4x2 P/U that had a donut spare under the bed.

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I also relocated mine to the bed but for different reason. That spare is a huge weight behind the rear axle making it swing out in corners with no other load. I located it up front between the wheel wells using a load bar to keep it from moving

I thought it important to improve DD handling, especially since this truck is prone to spinning out on wet pavement. It's easy enough to put it back underneath if I need the bed space

If you want to leave it towards the rear there are tail gates that hold the spare at an angle.

http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner_0.shtml

Like that...

3. Jul 17, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    They also make spare holders that mount into the bed on the same kind of angle. All about what you want.

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    michaelmad21

michaelmad21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    El Paso, Tx
    Im running 285/70/17's and no longer need my spare tire that's 265/70/17 how much do you guys think I can sell it for??

5. Jul 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Could probably trade it for a spare that'll work with your new tires. or maybe get a 100 and change for it...Not many folks will pay a ton for the stock tires off these...

6. Jul 17, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    michaelmad21

michaelmad21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    El Paso, Tx
    thats what I tried to do but the guy said he wouldnt give me what is worth I was and I'm better off selling it locally so that's what I was thinking $100 ive never used it so will shall see. Would my stock jack able to lift my new set of wheels or will it be too short??

7. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would put it against the front of the bed and secure it somehow to the bed rails.

I wouldn't want it at the back of the bed where it will become a missile if you have a wreck.

8. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    rev25sharp

rev25sharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    jacksonville fl
    Vehicle:
    Silver 17dcsb trd sport
    good luck with that

9. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    There's your answer.It will get dry rotted exposed in the bed of the truck.

10. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats

11. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Or you can just occasionally do reg maintenance to it using cleaner/protectors.

There are some setups that use the bed rails, some people have built cages to hold a larger tire in the bed (think baja style). There are also some tire gates being fab'd now. There are options.... d-ring being the cheapest but also the most unstable. AAA is always the easiest of course lol...

12. Jul 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Taco John

Taco John Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4

I believe the cable is long enough that if you need to drop it, you can roll out some additional cable while standing comfortably behind the truck and pull the truck slightly forward for relatively easy access. May be easier to stand it up on the ground than haul that heavy SOB out of the bed anyway!

13. Jul 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Tire alone is 38 lbs...rim must add 22?? so about 60lbs total maybe...it certainly feels like it when trying to lift it.

And yes, I completely noticed it. You'd be amazed how much inertia 60lbs swinging around a two - three foot moment generates as the truck comes around a tight turn-in. Not that I do it with this truck the way I did with the Rabbit of course, but throwing it into a curve I really appreciate that it's a lot less vague about it.

And a tonneau kills worries about sun-rot...which is a terribly odd concern since there are four tires already exposed.

14. Jul 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    grille painted to match body color (black sand pearl), bed mat, intermittent wipers installed, 14" shorty antenna.
    Thanks all for the comments.

Jim

Products Discussed in

To Top