Notices

Relocate spare tire on 2009 Tacoma?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
atea is on a distinguished road
Army:
atea's Tacoma Gallery
Relocate spare tire on 2009 Tacoma?

Have 09 Tacoma 4x2 reg. cab that has full-size spare. Was thinking about whether or not to put in bed secured with cable to one of the D-rings instead of leaving it in factory mounted under bed location. Taking up space in the bed is not an issue. I am 68 yrs. old and with my luck will get a flat on a rainy or snowy night in which case, it will be a challenge for me to crawl underneath with those or similar conditions and remove the spare. Anyone else relocated their spare for similar reasons? Was also thinking about whether to just get an "extra spare" (15", 5-lug rim) from a junkyard and just leave it in the bed for convenience. This way I would have two spares. I did this with a '94 Nissan 4x2 P/U that had a donut spare under the bed.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atea View Post
Have 09 Tacoma 4x2 reg. cab that has full-size spare. Was thinking about whether or not to put in bed secured with cable to one of the D-rings instead of leaving it in factory mounted under bed location. Taking up space in the bed is not an issue. I am 68 yrs. old and with my luck will get a flat on a rainy or snowy night in which case, it will be a challenge for me to crawl underneath with those or similar conditions and remove the spare. Anyone else relocated their spare for similar reasons? Was also thinking about whether to just get an "extra spare" (15", 5-lug rim) from a junkyard and just leave it in the bed for convenience. This way I would have two spares. I did this with a '94 Nissan 4x2 P/U that had a donut spare under the bed.
I also relocated mine to the bed but for different reason. That spare is a huge weight behind the rear axle making it swing out in corners with no other load. I located it up front between the wheel wells using a load bar to keep it from moving

I thought it important to improve DD handling, especially since this truck is prone to spinning out on wet pavement. It's easy enough to put it back underneath if I need the bed space

If you want to leave it towards the rear there are tail gates that hold the spare at an angle.

http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner_0.shtml

Like that...
Old 07-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
michaelmad21 is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
michaelmad21's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 285/70/17's and no longer need my spare tire that's 265/70/17 how much do you guys think I can sell it for??
Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmad21 View Post
Im running 285/70/17's and no longer need my spare tire that's 265/70/17 how much do you guys think I can sell it for??
Could probably trade it for a spare that'll work with your new tires. or maybe get a 100 and change for it...Not many folks will pay a ton for the stock tires off these...
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
michaelmad21 is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
michaelmad21's Tacoma Gallery
thats what I tried to do but the guy said he wouldnt give me what is worth I was and I'm better off selling it locally so that's what I was thinking $100 ive never used it so will shall see. Would my stock jack able to lift my new set of wheels or will it be too short??
Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I would put it against the front of the bed and secure it somehow to the bed rails.

I wouldn't want it at the back of the bed where it will become a missile if you have a wreck.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
rev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant future
Name: Al
rev25sharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmad21 View Post
thats what I tried to do but the guy said he wouldnt give me what is worth I was and I'm better off selling it locally so that's what I was thinking $100 ive never used it so will shall see. Would my stock jack able to lift my new set of wheels or will it be too short??
good luck with that
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
i have the same problems with the spare wheel

i just got AAA
now when i get tire trouble i watch him replace it ;-D
There's your answer.It will get dry rotted exposed in the bed of the truck.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=buddywh1;1974136]I also relocated mine to the bed but for different reason. That spare is a huge weight behind the rear axle making it swing out in corners with no other load. I located it up front between the wheel wells using a load bar to keep it from moving

I thought it important to improve DD handling, especially since this truck is prone to spinning out on wet pavement. It's easy enough to put it back underneath if I need the bed space

40lbs. give or take is a huge weight? I doubt if it handles much differently.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
There's your answer.It will get dry rotted exposed in the bed of the truck.
Or you can just occasionally do reg maintenance to it using cleaner/protectors.

There are some setups that use the bed rails, some people have built cages to hold a larger tire in the bed (think baja style). There are also some tire gates being fab'd now. There are options.... d-ring being the cheapest but also the most unstable. AAA is always the easiest of course lol...
Old 07-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atea View Post

I believe the cable is long enough that if you need to drop it, you can roll out some additional cable while standing comfortably behind the truck and pull the truck slightly forward for relatively easy access. May be easier to stand it up on the ground than haul that heavy SOB out of the bed anyway!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
40lbs. give or take is a huge weight? I doubt if it handles much differently.
Tire alone is 38 lbs...rim must add 22?? so about 60lbs total maybe...it certainly feels like it when trying to lift it.

And yes, I completely noticed it. You'd be amazed how much inertia 60lbs swinging around a two - three foot moment generates as the truck comes around a tight turn-in. Not that I do it with this truck the way I did with the Rabbit of course, but throwing it into a curve I really appreciate that it's a lot less vague about it.

And a tonneau kills worries about sun-rot...which is a terribly odd concern since there are four tires already exposed.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
atea is on a distinguished road
Army:
atea's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for the comments.

Jim