Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheel Backspacing and Offset Info

Reply
 
* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #421
Senior Member
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
PnoyBOS5's Avatar
Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
Joined: Jan 2010, #29087
Location: 209 CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 693
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
KPT, I read all throughout here and wheel spec thread but I can't seem to understand much of it.. Here is what I want to get for my stock 13' tacoma prerunner 4x2: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA8101-7983

Those are 17x9 Backspace = 4.75in. Offset = -6.6mm
Stock: 17x7.5 bs 4.5'' +30mm offset

Will I have any issues with rubbing and them fitting on to my stock dunlops?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #422
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sfcadams's Avatar
Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
Joined: Aug 2011, #61645
Location: Elizabeth, Indiana
Age: 44
Gender: Guy
Posts: 1,432
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
With everything being said here, could anyone offer up a suggestion as to what backspacing & wheel offset would be best to tuck the wheels & tires back in as close to stock as possible when running the Maxtrac spindles?

Anyone?? Lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #423
Junior Member
ScubaTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Juan
Joined: Sep 2012, #86433
Location: San Juan, PR
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
ScubaTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOhFilms View Post
there is ALOT of information on this thread! ive learned alot. but now for my truck..

2008 double cab offroad package. STOCK

looking into 265/65/17 AT and a 17x9in rim. eventually going to level out front too. i want my tires to stick out a little to give the truck a wider stance if possible. now, what backspacing and offset should i be looking for?
from this thread, its looks like i should be getting a -12 offset and 4.5" backspace?? am i right to achieve the look im going for? anything will help, this is my first experience with this. thanks!!!!!!!!!
Fiveoh, you're correct. -12mm offset (4.5 bs on a 17x9 wheel) should be fine if you're looking for that stance. That's exactly what I have, and I like the look a lot. You will find 265-65-17 tires that fit 17x9 rims, like Falken, BFs, or Nittos. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #424
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PinoyTacoma View Post
KPT, I read all throughout here and wheel spec thread but I can't seem to understand much of it.. Here is what I want to get for my stock 13' tacoma prerunner 4x2: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA8101-7983

Those are 17x9 Backspace = 4.75in. Offset = -6.6mm
Stock: 17x7.5 bs 4.5'' +30mm offset

Will I have any issues with rubbing and them fitting on to my stock dunlops?

Thanks
If the stockers are approved for 9" wide wheels, you are good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
Anyone?? Lol
I believe the max tracks require a certain backspacing. There would be no way to make the wheels tuck in like stock.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #425
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
sfcadams's Avatar
Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
Joined: Aug 2011, #61645
Location: Elizabeth, Indiana
Age: 44
Gender: Guy
Posts: 1,432
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I believe the max tracks require a certain backspacing. There would be no way to make the wheels tuck in like stock.

I thought maybe you might have to run a certain offset or something...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #426
Junior Member
pugdaddy2576 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Brad
Joined: Dec 2011, #69277
Location: Central Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 24
pugdaddy2576's Tacoma Gallery
So confused

Im sorry guys but after reading the threads im more confused now that i was when i started. Im looking to buy to some new rims with my tax refund. A few years ago i bought a set of rims off of a buddy that came off of a 92 tacoma. Unfortunately the backspacing was not what i need (front rims rubbed on the brake calipers). So i bought 1.25 spacers which i havent liked since i bought them. My taco is a 2002 and i just bought a set of 33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich all terrians. So I need a 15x10 rim but what offset/backspacing do i need? I like the stance my truck has with the spacers (wheels stick out about 2-3 inches) but just want to get rid of the spacers. Any help is appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #427
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdaddy2576 View Post
Im sorry guys but after reading the threads im more confused now that i was when i started. Im looking to buy to some new rims with my tax refund. A few years ago i bought a set of rims off of a buddy that came off of a 92 tacoma. Unfortunately the backspacing was not what i need (front rims rubbed on the brake calipers). So i bought 1.25 spacers which i havent liked since i bought them. My taco is a 2002 and i just bought a set of 33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich all terrians. So I need a 15x10 rim but what offset/backspacing do i need? I like the stance my truck has with the spacers (wheels stick out about 2-3 inches) but just want to get rid of the spacers. Any help is appreciated.
Look in the ~3.5" range
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #428
Junior Member
Taco.Supreme is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
Joined: Sep 2012, #87244
Location: Kelowna, BC
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
Taco.Supreme's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys,

I've been creeping around this forum for a good while now and am in need of some help. After reading through this thread I'm still a little hazy about what will work on my truck. Summer is coming up and I'm getting new wheels and tires for my 07 TRD Sport. I'm looking at REV 805 Wheels (17x9, 11mm offset and 5.5"BS) or REV 990 wheels (17x9, 20mm offset and 5.8"BS). The tires I'm looking at are Toyo Open Country MT's (285/70/17). I have a standard 3" lift with airbags in the back. Being 33's will I encounter any problems other than minor trimming, etc?

I'm so greatful that I stumbled upon this community. I've learnt so much and I'm having an amazing time making my truck mine. Thanks to everyone on here!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #429
Senior Member
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
PnoyBOS5's Avatar
Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
Joined: Jan 2010, #29087
Location: 209 CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 693
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
Hey KPT,

Planning on purchasing this: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA5001-7983

It's the Pro Comp 5001 17x9 4.75 bs 6.6 offset will that be okay for a stock suspension?

also, I am pretty sure it is going to fit my AT20 Grandtrek tires they are ranged for 7-9.5'' wide rims.

Just want to make sure I wont be rubbing anything and that it will fit my tires Thanks for the help on this post, and my previous post.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #430
Junior Member
Kevenass is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2013, #96869
Location: Lac St-Jean, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
Kevenass's Tacoma Gallery
Hello i have 4 mickey thompson mtz 265-70-r17 tire And i want buy wheel and i would like to have a little offset but no rubbing. Which backspacing and which wheel wide and which offset do you propose to me?

I have a 2008 tacoma trd double cab with no lift for the moment butnit will comming soon.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #431
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.Supreme View Post
Hey guys,

I've been creeping around this forum for a good while now and am in need of some help. After reading through this thread I'm still a little hazy about what will work on my truck. Summer is coming up and I'm getting new wheels and tires for my 07 TRD Sport. I'm looking at REV 805 Wheels (17x9, 11mm offset and 5.5"BS) or REV 990 wheels (17x9, 20mm offset and 5.8"BS). The tires I'm looking at are Toyo Open Country MT's (285/70/17). I have a standard 3" lift with airbags in the back. Being 33's will I encounter any problems other than minor trimming, etc?

I'm so greatful that I stumbled upon this community. I've learnt so much and I'm having an amazing time making my truck mine. Thanks to everyone on here!
neither of those will work for you. They have too much backspacing. You need 4.5" to clear the 285s from the uca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PinoyTacoma View Post
Hey KPT,

Planning on purchasing this: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...n=PXA5001-7983

It's the Pro Comp 5001 17x9 4.75 bs 6.6 offset will that be okay for a stock suspension?

also, I am pretty sure it is going to fit my AT20 Grandtrek tires they are ranged for 7-9.5'' wide rims.

Just want to make sure I wont be rubbing anything and that it will fit my tires Thanks for the help on this post, and my previous post.
You should be good to go with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenass View Post
Hello i have 4 mickey thompson mtz 265-70-r17 tire And i want buy wheel and i would like to have a little offset but no rubbing. Which backspacing and which wheel wide and which offset do you propose to me?

I have a 2008 tacoma trd double cab with no lift for the moment butnit will comming soon.

Thanks
8" wide wheel, 4.5" bs
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #432
Junior Member
Taco.Supreme is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
Joined: Sep 2012, #87244
Location: Kelowna, BC
Gender: Male
Posts: 5
Taco.Supreme's Tacoma Gallery
"neither of those will work for you. They have too much backspacing. You need 4.5" to clear the 285s from the uca."

Plan B - from what I've read, stock sport 17's with spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacer will work?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #433
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.Supreme View Post
"neither of those will work for you. They have too much backspacing. You need 4.5" to clear the 285s from the uca."

Plan B - from what I've read, stock sport 17's with spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacer will work?
Yes, they will clear the ucas. You'll still have to trim to fit the tires though
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #434
Junior Member
JimTXTRD is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
Joined: Dec 2011, #69067
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
JimTXTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to put 275/75/16 Toyo's on my 2011 4x4. Have a 11/2" pro comp leveling kit on the front and the new four pack leafs on the rear. My question is with the stock TX rims will I need any back spacing to prevent UCA rub? Current tire size is 265/70/16 difference in the width is approximately 1/2 inch and 5 inch gain in circum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #435
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTXTRD View Post
Looking to put 275/75/16 Toyo's on my 2011 4x4. Have a 11/2" pro comp leveling kit on the front and the new four pack leafs on the rear. My question is with the stock TX rims will I need any back spacing to prevent UCA rub? Current tire size is 265/70/16 difference in the width is approximately 1/2 inch and 5 inch gain in circum.
Who makes a 275/75/16?

And how big is the leveling kit
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #436
Junior Member
JimTXTRD is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
Joined: Dec 2011, #69067
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
JimTXTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about that, fat fingers. The tires are Toyo 285/75/16 32.8 height /11.3 width. Pro comp two inch leveling kit on the front. Worried about UCA clearance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #437
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTXTRD View Post
Sorry about that, fat fingers. The tires are Toyo 285/75/16 32.8 height /11.3 width. Pro comp two inch leveling kit on the front. Worried about UCA clearance.
You're going to have to trim a bunch of plastic and likely chop your cab mounts to get those to fit. They are going to rub substantially even without any suspension flex. I believe the TX wheels have 4.5" BS, so they wouldn't be an issue for UCA clearance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #438
Senior Member
Alby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud of
Name: Alby
Joined: Jul 2010, #40406
Location: NNJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 163
Alby9999's Tacoma Gallery
Help???

I am buying new rims and tires and I think I understand but want to make sure. I have 285/75/16s on stock rims (TRD OR). 3 in lift w/ LR UCA and 1.25 wheel spacers. I like the stance so if I go to an 16X8 in rim and do away with the spacers would I go to an 4 inch BS and -12 offset or 4.25 BS and -6 offset?
How about 16X9 in rims?

I rub a little on the mud flaps but a tie wrap takes care of that. Could a 305/70/16 fit?

I believe stock rims are 5.25 BS and +32 offset

Thanks for your help
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #439
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,404
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby9999 View Post
I am buying new rims and tires and I think I understand but want to make sure. I have 285/75/16s on stock rims (TRD OR). 3 in lift w/ LR UCA and 1.25 wheel spacers. I like the stance so if I go to an 16X8 in rim and do away with the spacers would I go to an 4 inch BS and -12 offset or 4.25 BS and -6 offset?
How about 16X9 in rims?

I rub a little on the mud flaps but a tie wrap takes care of that. Could a 305/70/16 fit?

I believe stock rims are 5.25 BS and +32 offset

Thanks for your help
16x8 with 4.5" bs would give you the least rubbing. The 4.25" and 4" bs will mean you'll have to cut more than with the 4.5".

305s will fit too if you are willing to cut and trim even further.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #440
Junior Member
DBroman3 is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
Joined: Feb 2013, #98275
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
DBroman3's Tacoma Gallery
17x8 -13mm os and 4"bs

With this wheel, running 285/70/17 @2.5 lift. Am I more likely to rub cab mount with these wheel specs vs. another option?
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with offset and backspacing Sanders17 Wheels & Tires 11 08-22-2011 04:34 PM
Offset and backspacing??? VTaco08 Wheels & Tires 1 11-06-2010 04:52 AM
Backspacing, Offset? SCFirefighter Wheels & Tires 12 07-28-2010 08:45 AM
wheel offset and backspacing bill-e-boy 1st Gen. Tacomas 7 07-20-2010 09:37 PM
Offset / Backspacing boshak 1st Gen. Tacomas 1 07-16-2010 10:23 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.