Wheel Backspacing and Offset Info

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #461
Like a boss
TRDPhreak is on a distinguished road

TRDPhreak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
That's not actually the right way to do it, but you came out with the right answer.

the 1.5" less backspacing should be added to the 0.5" additional width to make 2.0".
Is that because the stock wheel is 7.5 and not 8?

If that's the case, what about the -13 offset? At that point wouldn't it end up being 2.51"?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #462
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDPhreak View Post
Is that because the stock wheel is 7.5 and not 8?

If that's the case, what about the -13 offset? At that point wouldn't it end up being 2.51"?
Yes on the width. And the offset is just a different way of describing backspacing, and visa versa. So you are double counting if you use both in a calculation.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #463
Like a boss
TRDPhreak is on a distinguished road

TRDPhreak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yes on the width. And the offset is just a different way of describing backspacing, and visa versa. So you are double counting if you use both in a calculation.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #464
hockeyplayer47 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
hockeyplayer47's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 tacoma with no lift. I want to put 17x9 rims on it with 4.5" of back spacing and -12 offset. would that work?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #465
acro is on a distinguished road
Name: Curtis
acro's Tacoma Gallery
This all might be a bit more helpful if everyone knew what the specs/measurements of their stock rims are. I would like to know what mine are as an impromptu jumping off point. We all should know the rim size. Doh! It's on your tire. The other dimensions/measurements do become confusing. My stock steel 15s appear to have very little offset, (nearly a flat face) but I don't actually know what the offset really is. Of course, not much of this matters if you are going to lift. Thanks for reading. I'll watch for comments. This is my first post and I am shopping for wheels. My last Tacoma was a '96 with 14s and wheel covers. It played cassettes but there was never a drip or drop of anything in the driveway.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #466
Saren is on a distinguished road

Name: Sara "Toyota"
Saren's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, I have to say that I didn't make it through all of the posts (tried, but failed) and at some points it made sense and then I would get all confused again. Anyway, though I am a member of the female gender, much like some dude in some thread (this one?) said, a diagram works to explain things in the best way.

Just saying. Ahem.

So- I went to one of the sites *first* posted which helped to compare tire/rim sizes and convert metric to US standard; then I went to one posted soon after--and let me tell you, ALL the info anyone needs is between these two sites. And the second one has pretty little diagrams that adjust according to your inputs! So cool.

The only thing we need now is a calculator that takes into account if you are adding a lift kit--though, it doesn't take much thinking to figure that out, methinks. For instance, in my calculations, my new rims with the stock tires will move the wheels out 0.7" (not a problem, I measured). If I got new tires before getting a lift, I would fill out 13mm more of wheel well (according to rimsntires). Not a problem for my truck, again. Ta-da!

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyn1 View Post
Ok....reading all this technical info and trying not to get too confused cuz I'm a girl(hahaha)..... but my simple question: if im puttin on a 6" lift w/ 20x10 rims n 33" tires.....do I still need to worry about this bacspacing thing???......if so, Wat r some suggestions for it?
Don't be silly. You're not confused because you're a girl...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #467
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Will it fit?

Just need a ok here.
I have a 2007 taco trd sport. Have stock wheels, 17x 7.5",with 5.5" backspacing.
Will be adding tsb and add a leaf in back, still undecided in front, probably spacer but if not spacer, A lift that will not be more than 3".
Considering 4 runner te wheels, 17x 7.5", with 4.5" backspacing.
Will be sticking with 265/65/17 tires, and at most 265/70/17.
My question is, are the 4 runner wheels ok to fit.
Thx for the help.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #468
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
so I have a question about the whole backspacing vs. offset thing. I'll use the Mickey Thompson Classics as an example. How is it mathematically possible for a 16x8" rim to have a backspacing of 4" but an offset of -12mm? if the backspacing (the back of the wheel to the mounting surface) is 4", that would put the mounting surface smack dab in the center (because 4 is one half of 8), so it would make sense to me that the offset would be 0mm? Can someone help me understand how this is possible?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #469
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
so I have a question about the whole backspacing vs. offset thing. I'll use the Mickey Thompson Classics as an example. How is it mathematically possible for a 16x8" rim to have a backspacing of 4" but an offset of -12mm? if the backspacing (the back of the wheel to the mounting surface) is 4", that would put the mounting surface smack dab in the center (because 4 is one half of 8), so it would make sense to me that the offset would be 0mm? Can someone help me understand how this is possible?
I answered a similar question for a 9" Wheel on the previous page, here
Should clear it up for ya

CC
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #470
Total Automotive Performance
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
will they fit?

These wheels are awesome looking you can view them on the vehicle using the site.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
Offset 0mm
Bs 4.49
Bolt pattern 6x139
16x8
Would they fit?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #471
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
I answered a similar question for a 9" Wheel on the previous page, here
Should clear it up for ya

CC

lol yeah I got it all figured out, apparently you have to add 1" to the width of the wheel... who knew?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #472
BLiX is on a distinguished road
BLiX's Tacoma Gallery
I am new to trucks and I'm needing to know if a 16x8 rim with +10 offset fit a 2013 prerunner with factory suspension and tires?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #473
Grakyn is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Grakyn's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys, I am another noob that needs help piecing this together for the first time. Looking at some Nitto Trail Grappler 280/70/r16s. I have a 3" Toytec ultimate lift. What do I need to be looking at for backspace and offset for an optimal fit? I know I have seen similar setups on here. I think it was no greater than a 4.5" backspace and not sure of offset? Any help is appreciated. Thanks folks.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakyn View Post
Hi guys, I am another noob that needs help piecing this together for the first time. Looking at some Nitto Trail Grappler 280/70/r16s. I have a 3" Toytec ultimate lift. What do I need to be looking at for backspace and offset for an optimal fit? I know I have seen similar setups on here. I think it was no greater than a 4.5" backspace and not sure of offset? Any help is appreciated. Thanks folks.
id go with a 4" backspace if possible. not sure which rims you are looking at but if you are looking onto steelies, summit racing sells 16x8 with a 4" bs for $55 a piece. they have both the cirlce hole design and the D shpaed hole design. other rims you just have to take a look at the specs.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #475
Costa09 is on a distinguished road

Name: John
Costa09's Tacoma Gallery
Okay I admitt I didn't make though all the posts. I made it half way and still need some clearing up on my new setup. I already made a thread before I found this one. No sold answers that make me feel confident to pull the trigger on 1500 dollars of new rims and tires. I have searched and searched and I find some that say yes it will work and others no. Here is my question, I have a 3" OME lift and light racing UCAs I am currently running 285/70/17 with 17x9 XD Addicts with 4.5 BS and -12 OF. Have done trimming to plastic for these. I want XD Cranks 18x9 5 BS and 0 OF with 285/65/18 nitto Tera grapplers. Will it work or will 275/70/18 be better and keep me from chopping my cab mount.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #476

Costa09's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody help me out on the post approve? I also concerned I will scrub my UCA. Is 275/70/18 better option or can I run 285/65/18? Thanks again this is just bugging me. I really want these rims.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #477
JMooney9 is on a distinguished road
JMooney9's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys i got a 2011 doublecab tacoma with a 3" suspension lift, and i was looking into getting new rims and tires, looking to extend the tires out past the fender flares 1 - 1.5 inches on each side, i was thinking on running an 18" rim instead of a 17, any suggestions on what size tires to get and how much backspacing/offset for the rims? would 285's fit?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #478

Costa09's Tacoma Gallery
After market UCA's? I ran 285/70/17s. BFGs and XD Addicts. -12 offset and 4.5 back spacing. With minor trimming of the plastic inner fender well. Most will tell you to stick with 4.5 BS or less which is a good way to know that you will clear everything but all the guys that run rockstars have a 5 BS and it works with 275 tires, have heard of some 285 fitting also. When I was looking into new wheels I was told not to run 285 or larger with a 5 BS because of UCA clearance. But with my new 20s I just got I have a 5 BS and have the room for 285s I think. I got 275/60 to be safe ended up with a lot of room. Every truck is different though. I hope this helps some!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #479
JMooney9 is on a distinguished road
JMooney9's Tacoma Gallery
stock uca's. i may just go with 275/70/17's just to be safe, along with the XD addicts with 4.5" backspacing
Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #480

Costa09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney9 View Post
stock uca's. i may just go with 275/70/17's just to be safe, along with the XD addicts with 4.5" backspacing
I ran 285/70/17 with addicts for 2 years. The fake bolts will fade on you over time also.

Products Discussed in this Thread