1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Backspacing and Offset Info

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tcBob, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    tcBob

tcBob [OP] Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    Source: CustomTacos

Alloy Wheel Cross-Section:
    [​IMG]

Before mounting a set of aftermarket wheels, there are some dynamics involved with fitment that are best to understand first.

1. Wheel Diameter. This is the diameter of the wheel. Stock wheels are commonly 15 or 16 inch diameter. This dimension is usually in 1 increments (i.e. 15, 16, 17) but some manufacturers offer 16.5, which is rare.

2. Wheel Width. This is the width of the wheel, measured inside the outer lip of the wheel. This dimension is usually in 1/2 increments (i.e. 7.5, 8)

3. Wheel Center. This is the center of the wheel in relation to the width.

4. Offset. The distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub.

4.1 Zero Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is at the wheel center.

4.2. Negative Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is behind (or inboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on standard rear-wheel-drive vehicles and on so-called reversed rims. (Diagram below shows negative offset)

4.3 Positive Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is in front of (or outboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on front-wheel-drive vehicles. Stock Tacoma wheels have Positive offset.

5. Backspacing. The distance from the mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel. This measurement is closely related to offset (without actually measuring, backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4] ).

6. Centerbore. The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration. This measurement may be critical to clear the hubs of a 4WD.

7. Bolt Circle. Also known as PCD (Pattern Circle Diameter). The bolt circle represents the diameter of an imaginary circle that goes through the center of the bolt holes. 4x2 Tacoma Bolt Circle: 5 lug on 4.5 PCD; 4x4/Prerunner Tacoma Bolt Circle: 6 lug on 5.5 PCD.

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    Thank You
    Diagrams are the Best
    (Picture's Worth a Thousand Words)

3. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    what exactly is the purpose of backspacing? what does it determine? how you mount the tire on the wheel or something like that?

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    backspacing is the distance from where the wheel mounts to the surface of the brake assembly to the outside of the wheel.

suppose the width of your front axle from brake to brake is 60 inches.

now, you have two different sets of wheels. one is a 16x8 with 5" bs, the other is a 16x8 with 3" bs.

when mounting the 5" bs wheels, the distance between the outside of the wheels will be 66". when mounting the 3" bs wheels, the distance between the outside of those wheels will be 70".

ChanHo, dvdmac, SoCalSB and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    Ace83

Ace83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Bilstein Front shocks, Rough Country 3" lift kit, 5" black railway running boards
    i used to dig this info on the net before.. nice to have it here

Osage2112 and Manfred like this.
  6. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    Great sticky, bob. Interested to see if it will cut down on the number of "will this fit?" threads.

Osage2112, Bastek and BlackBiscuitGuy like this.
  7. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    DethTaco

DethTaco Active Member

Member:
    Ft. Knox, KY
    Ok. /deep breathe
    The scrub radius may/may not change with a 4" backspaced wheel. Right? Depends on how the wheel is made?
    But it will definately change by adding spacers.
    The larger scrub radius will put more stress on steering bits and wear bearings faster.

So how much is too much and how do I figure out my scrub radius with the wheel/tire combo and spacers?
    Not too certain that I understand the equation in the original post. I have tried... Trust me.
    You said: Mounting surface to mounting surface on the axle is 60".
    16x8 wheel with 5" offset.
    Wheel width= W
    Offset= O
    W / 2 = 4 + O = 9

Why is the measurement from the outside of each wheel now 66" ? Wouldn't it be 69"?

I gotta nail this part down before adding in the spacers...
    And how much is too much scrub radius?

8. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    a 5" offset is HUGE. Look at the diagram again. Offset is from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface. Backspace is from the inside edge to the mounting surface. Backspace is typically measured in inches, offset typical in millimeters.

backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4]

So,

BS = (WW/2) + (O) + .25

For a 8" wide wheel with 5" BS

5 = 4 + O + .25

O = .75", or +19mm

So, the mounting surface is ~.75" in front of the centerline of this particular example.

If I could draw something up in CAD on my laptop everything would be easier

Mightynorseman likes this.
  9. Aug 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM
    DethTaco

DethTaco Active Member

Member:
    Ft. Knox, KY
    Ok I think I got it now.
    So what is too much scrub radius?
    I'm looking at a Fabtech 6" IFS suspension lift which calls for a 4" backspace wheel.
    My plan was to use spacers on the front to get some turning radius back once all is installed.
    From what I've been reading, a large scrub radius is correctable by adjusting caster/camber?
    I'm really trying hard to do this lift right. Turning out to be allot for a first time lift.

10. Aug 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM
    DethTaco

DethTaco Active Member

Member:
    Ft. Knox, KY
    Bumpt.

11. Aug 3, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  12. Sep 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    moelov

moelov Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Lifted
    Removed the Mud Flaps, Rock Deflectors and Head Rest. Limo Tint, I had 3" Toytec Lift, Procomp Nitrogen ES6000 shocks and Struts. AllPro UCA, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, WeatherTecs. Now I have LR UCA's, Maxtrac Spindles, Eibach's, 5100's up front, Expos, 5160 for the rear, U Bolt Flip Kit, and Extended Brake lines.
    What amount of back spacing would I need on Stock Steelies with 285's 75?

Thanks.

Jeremy4x4 likes this.
  13. Sep 14, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
  14. Sep 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    moelov

moelov Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Lifted
    Removed the Mud Flaps, Rock Deflectors and Head Rest. Limo Tint, I had 3" Toytec Lift, Procomp Nitrogen ES6000 shocks and Struts. AllPro UCA, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, WeatherTecs. Now I have LR UCA's, Maxtrac Spindles, Eibach's, 5100's up front, Expos, 5160 for the rear, U Bolt Flip Kit, and Extended Brake lines.
    Ok, thanks. I though it was 1.5. But rather have the 1.25.

Now I cant find a thread with some pics with this setup, any leads?

Finally is it worth it or bite the bullet and get new wheels? Just have not found anything that I preferred.

Thanks again.

15. Sep 14, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Well, that's all personal preference. Figure you only need spacers for the front so theres $100. Or if you want to even the look out, $200 for all four corners. But, if you go the new wheel route, you can get 16 x 8 for $78 a piece from . (cheapest I know of)

16. Oct 3, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    so we all know, I'm half stupid, how much offset is there on the 07's so I know for judging what kind of new rims I can throw in my truck

17. Oct 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alright. How important is the offset? Someone told me that I need at least 4.5 backspace, and at least 12 as an offset.

I am looking at wheels with 4.5 backspace, and 0 offset. How important is that offset?

18. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    [​IMG]

19. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    fsbrain03

fsbrain03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^yes. I see that it's 0. Is that gonna affect anything on my truck? Why would te guy tell me 4.5 backspace, and 12 offset? Is he just trying to sell some wheels?

03JadeMica likes this.
  20. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    You cant have 2 wheels that are the same width and backspacing, but have different offsets.

Were the wheels you were looking at and the ones hes trying to sell same everything?

To Top