LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

A how to on painting your stock rims....

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Cajun Taceaux
zeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
zeeya2000's Tacoma Gallery
A how to on painting your stock rims....

Okay hey this project took me about 5 days to complete. Pretty much a day a wheel, except on one day it was raining and I donít like to paint with a lot of moisture in the air.

What I did was remove one tire at a time and left my truck on a jack stand while I painted the rim.
After I removed the tire I washed the rim really well with soap and water to remove any grease or dirt.
After it dried I began the sanding part. I used a scotch pad (picture attached) one was 60 grit and the other was a 220 grit.(you can use sand paper but I found this the easiest)TIME CONSUMING!!!
I used the 60 grit first to get most of my clear coat off my rims and to smooth out any imperfections, then I came back with the 220 all the way around to smooth everything out.
Once you are done sanding you will need to clean it again, I used compressed air and some cheesecloth I had laying around. (you can use pretty much anything but jus make sure all of the dust from sanding is removed)
Next you will need to tape off the rim from the tire. I used masking tape (picture attached) and garbage bags, Just to make sure you cover everything but the rim. B/c I doubt you want to paint your tires also.
Then you will put on a thin layer of primer (picture attached) making sure you cover all parts of the rim.
After your one coat of primer is fairly dry you can start your coats of paint (picture attached)
Just a reminder the thinner the coats the better making sure you cover all parts of the rim because the last thing you want is runs in the paint.
On my rims I did one coat of primer and three nice coats of paint for each.
In between coats make sure the previous coat is dry to the touch before adding another layer.
I also used a blow-dryer to speed up the drying process between coats

If you have any questions or need any suggestions fell free to pm on Tacomaworld or email me
Im glad I could help,(PICTURES OF PAINT AND MATERIALS BELOW)
Craig
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the post!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I painted my stock rims aswell but I bought my truck used and have only seen the rims that came with it on one other Tacoma since I bought it two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
A how to on painting your stock rims....-imageuploadedbytapatalk.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got fancy to cause I liked the rims with the chrome details on them so I took a couple hours to mask them aswell for a fancy effect.
Attached Thumbnails
A how to on painting your stock rims....-imageuploadedbytapatalk.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. Hides that brake dust too.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Cajun Taceaux
zeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
looks good. Hides that brake dust too.
yes it does i painted the calipers and drums behind the wheels as well just to make them blend in
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
Cajun Taceaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalapos View Post
I got fancy to cause I liked the rims with the chrome details on them so I took a couple hours to mask them aswell for a fancy effect.
thats a great idea man and it came out nice too
Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #12

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you sir whole project took me around 10 hours including removing tires washing sanding masking priming and painting. Then let them dry till next morning. And I'm happy with the outcome
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Cajun Taceaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalapos View Post
Thank you sir whole project took me around 10 hours including removing tires washing sanding masking priming and painting. Then let them dry till next morning. And I'm happy with the outcome

with these set of directions? awesome post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #15

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Not those directions to the t. Pretty close though. I followed some I found on google. Really most important part was sanding and cleaning before painting. Then I masked off chrome spots. But thanks for compliments. I was happy with how they turned out
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Craig, those wheels look great. i like the red on black look. how do u like those destination a/t's? im thinkin those will be my next tire.

Nick, that has got to be the best looking painted factory rims on the site. i havent seen those painted like that before
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #17

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Josh. I appreciate the generous compliment. They have there few spots where I didn't stick tape down compleatly and had a little overspray but nothing paintthiner and little elbow grease can't fix. Just did them a week ago so there probaly cured enough to clean up
Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
Cajun Taceaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_TACO4x4 View Post
Craig, those wheels look great. i like the red on black look. how do u like those destination a/t's? im thinkin those will be my next tire.

Nick, that has got to be the best looking painted factory rims on the site. i havent seen those painted like that before
hey man thanks for the compliment. and the destination a/t's are a great tire. Quiet on the road and easily handled, and they still deffinitely give you good pull off-road for an a/t tire. ive had those tires for over 20,000 miles and they still are going strong.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
Wadester19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Wadester19's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels look great man! I did this when I had my Subaru WRX and it took about 6 hours with 2 of us working on all 4 wheels at the same time. I'm probably going to be doing this to the taco real soon.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Cajun Taceaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester19 View Post
Wheels look great man! I did this when I had my Subaru WRX and it took about 6 hours with 2 of us working on all 4 wheels at the same time. I'm probably going to be doing this to the taco real soon.

those little bastards are quick