Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS sensor question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
lIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shedlIlOtAcO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM
Name: Chad
lIlOtAcO's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS sensor question

Will stock 16" steel wheel TPMS work in 16" trd wheels? about to buy some wheels and just wondering if I can take me TPMS and they will work in the upgraded wheels?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The steel wheels sensors have a different angle than the alloys. One is 20 degrees, the other is 40. There are ways around it with a retrofit kit or having the sensor mounted differently inside the rim. There are threads on here somewhere that explain it. But to swap them directly doesn't work.

Here is a thread that has the strap kit a few posts down.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...2714-tpms.html
Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
follow up, can you mount all 5 in the spare? Also, do they not work in after-market wheels, or just the TRD wheels?
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
follow up, can you mount all 5 in the spare? Also, do they not work in after-market wheels, or just the TRD wheels?
Some do the pipe bomb or wheelbarrow tire trick, don't know if anyone has put them all in their spare.
Others get their installers to turn them 180 degrees when mounting the new tires on the rims
There has been a slew of tricks, mods, pull the bulb, use tape, ground the wire behind the HVAC controls.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
My dad and I recently switched wheels and we're having a bit of TPMS problem on his Tacoma.

He has a 2006 that had the 16" TRD OR wheels. Well, he was planning to get new tires, so I arranged to just give him my setup instead for a cheap price. I had the 16" steel wheels with new tires on my Tacoma.

We effectively took off my 16" steel wheel and new tire setup and slapped them on his truck. Then I put new Terra Grapplers on his TRD wheels and put them on my truck. The TPMS is working fine on my truck, as I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

However, on his truck, we're seeing the tire pressure icon blink non-stop upon starting the vehicle. I read in the manual that is due to faulty TPMS system or something of that nature. It recommended resetting the system by holding in the "Reset" button underneath the steering column for 3 blinks of the icon. That isn't doing anything though. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. He's going to disconnect the battery for a few minutes today to reset the ECU in hopes of resetting the TPMS.
I posted the above in the Tire & Wheel subforum, but in an attempt to get more eyes on the question, I'm double posting it in here.

He did disconnect the battery yesterday for a while to clear the ECU, to no avail. I'm stumped because the sensors on my truck that were originally on his work fine on my truck. I'm getting no alert. I thought that it may have been due to mixing the sensors between trucks (i.e. My spare matches the four now on his truck. And vice-versa, his spare tire sensor matches the four on my truck right now.).

This is throwing me for a loop b/c there was no TPMS warning light on my truck with the setup that is currently on his truck. I'm stumped. I'd prefer to not do any wire cutting or taping over the light on his truck. If it were mine, I'd have no problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
BobbyG99 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
BobbyG99's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question since it may be related to this thread. I had the my OEM Steel will repalced with the 17" Aluminum TRD Sport rim. I want to use my old TPMS but they obviously don't fit. I plan on purchasing the TPMS strap kit but does anyone know which one I would need? The website below is from another post.

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx