Notices

TPMS Dilemna

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Thieu is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Thieu's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS Dilemna

I realize this has been beat to death. I searched and read through most of the past posts.

Here's the story. My wife used my truck while I was out of town (yes I let her) to move some office furniture w/ some of our friends. One of said friends borrowed truck to go to storage unit and proceeds to slash my 285 BFG A/T "Ben-Hur" style on the storage gate.

Without calling me (grrrr), tries to jack the truck (3" lift, no go w/ bottle jack), can't get one of the tire lug nuts off so in the end, gets the truck towed to NTB and has brand new tire put on (also unhappy that I now have 3 used tires and 1 brand new one).

Anywho, point to my story, is that the TPMS light is now on. No flashing, nothing, just on. I checked all tires, including the spare and noticed the new tire was at 65psi. Yikes.

Obviously they set the bead and forgot to take psi down to 36. So I reset all tires to 36 and do a reset. No go... light is still on.

This leads to me to believe that the sensor in the new tire isn't broken because it would be flashing. So what gives? I've driven on it for a few days and light remains.

Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about this.

I've been battling the TPMS issue myself lately as well. My dad and I switched our tire/wheel combos and now we both have the solid TPMS light on.

Our solution will be to get the TPMS reprogrammed (not reset, mind you) in both vehicles to match the new set of sensors.

There are various workarouds, but I'm going to pass on doing that.

Your situation doesn't sound like it should be that complicated since your original TPMS went back on. Have you tried merely resetting the system using the reset button at the bottom of the steering column? Turn key to "ON" position and hold the reset button for three blinks.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Over 60psi shuts the TPMS sensor off. Drop pressure to 10, then put back to stock. Then hit reset button.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thieu View Post
.....This leads to me to believe that the sensor in the new tire isn't broken because it would be flashing. So what gives? I've driven on it for a few days and light remains.

Thoughts?
Below is my experience... not saying it'll fix your problem but it fixed mine & flightcancled too...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 478DblSport
After having new tires put on my OEM wheels a few months back my TPMS light stayed on and the tire dealer couldn't/wouldn't help. I searched this forum up and down and tried all the reset suggestions with no luck. Yesterday I changed the oil, filter, air filter & cabin filter then did the ol' Maintenance Required reset steps and presto... no more TPMS light!? Go figure... I'm temped to lower the pressure in one tire just to see if it'll come back on or if the light burned out. May do that in a week or two... just enjoying not having the idiot light on right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled
Quote:
Rep added.

not to up an old post, but it saved me today. Same thing happened and this worked instantly. Reset as per the Maint light. The TMPS light will flash ~4x then shut off.

Here's the thread I originally posted it in. Good luck, I hope this is the cure. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post1645476
Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
^ Wow, didn't know about that. Interesting.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I worked for a toyota dealership in 07 as a lube tech. I was trained how to operate the TPMS system.
The never fail system for making TPMS work right was not far from that link.
Check tires for factory rec PSI, inc spare. Hold reset buttin till it blinks 3 times.
If the light came back on, further inspection for bad sensors or other problems was necessary.
From the factory tires were above 60PSI which shut off the sensors. When it was dropped below 10PSI it would activate. Inflate back to factory specs and reset the system. Only full size spares had sensors.
Things may have changed since then, but my 08 operates the same. It doesn't care if you rotate and don't reset, but all my tires are at 29PSI.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Thieu's Tacoma Gallery
Took tire down below 10psi and back to 36 while resetting throughout twice now and no go. what is my next step?

i have triple checked all tires now, including the spare and all are at 36psi.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Everytime I get a flax fixed, they charge me for a "Sensor Rebuild Kit" $5...maybe?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Thieu's Tacoma Gallery
Well today while driving, the light went from solid to flashing... meaning there must be an issue w/ one of the sensors. I guess I'll be making a visit to NTB and having them fix it.