Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Im trying - please help - rim fit?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Im trying - please help - rim fit?

Okay Ive been doing some reading and studying offset diagrams etc...

Im considering a set of Diamo rims ("17 karat" style):
http://www.wheelpros.com/browse.asp?...ted&section=DI

Im considering the 18x10
Im also considering the Nitto terra grapplers 305-60-18

1) Stock rim = +30 offset and 5.5in backspacing with 6x5.5 bolt pattern.
2) Diamo = -12mm offset and 5.03in backspacing with 6x139.7 bolt pattern.

What in the hell is 6x5.5 bolt pattern vs 6x139.7???
I understand that the Diamo wheel will have a much deeper dish, correct?

***So.....are these rims possible to use or not????
***And with that tire size, would there be any rubbing???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
sean (trying to figure this shit out before the end of summer!!! lol)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your gonna need at least 4.5" back spacing to clear the 305 size tires.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Well the Diamo states a "5.03 backside".......is this the direction you're saying i need to go in? as in having at least a 4.5in backspacing? Damn this shit mkaes me feel so ignorant!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
Well the Diamo states a "5.03 backside".......is this the direction you're saying i need to go in? as in having at least a 4.5in backspacing? Damn this shit mkaes me feel so ignorant!

bump (?)
Old 07-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The larger the backspacing number, the closer the wheels sit in. 4.5 would push the wheels out a half inch over the 5.03.

You'll definitely need 4.5 or less backspacing in order to fit the 305's. You'll also need a 3" lift and have to trim a lot of the fender lining, and possibly chop the cab mount.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The larger the backspacing number, the closer the wheels sit in. 4.5 would push the wheels out a half inch over the 5.03.

You'll definitely need 4.5 or less backspacing in order to fit the 305's. You'll also need a 3" lift and have to trim a lot of the fender lining, and possibly chop the cab mount.
^^that

Here is a diagram to help explain.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:

This is so discouraging because the tire calculator says im only gaining 1.85in overall diameter with the 305/60/18 over the stock 265/65/17s. That just seems like a lot of modification to fit just an additional 1.85in of rubber - while as it is now, it seems like there's plenty of room to fit more rubber in stock condition.
I feel like i gotta hire somebody to shop/order my freakn rims and tires for me!

And with a 5.03in backspace in consideration, I'd be "sucking in" the rim a 1/2in further under the wheel well as compared to the stock 5.5in backspace, correct?....so whats wrong with that?

Just continuing my questions with this rim idea for learning purposes for the immediate time being.

Thanks again all! (i fukn hate this crap!)
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay Ive been doing some reading and studying offset diagrams etc...

What in the hell is 6x5.5 bolt pattern vs 6x139.7???
I understand that the Diamo wheel will have a much deeper dish, correct?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
sean (trying to figure this shit out before the end of summer!!! lol)
Seems the other questions have been answered, so ill take these.

6x5.5 is the same thing as 6x139.7. 5.5 is designation in inches and 139.7 is the designation in millimeters. (1" = 25.4mm, do the conversion 5.5"*25.4mm/" and it will be the same)

"Deep dish" is a factor of offset.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is so discouraging because the tire calculator says im only gaining 1.85in overall diameter with the 305/60/18 over the stock 265/65/17s. That just seems like a lot of modification to fit just an additional 1.85in of rubber - while as it is now, it seems like there's plenty of room to fit more rubber in stock condition.
I feel like i gotta hire somebody to shop/order my freakn rims and tires for me!

And with a 5.03in backspace in consideration, I'd be "sucking in" the rim a 1/2in further under the wheel well as compared to the stock 5.5in backspace, correct?....so whats wrong with that?

Just continuing my questions with this rim idea for learning purposes for the immediate time being.

Thanks again all! (i fukn hate this crap!)
With the 5.03, the rim will sit out 0.5 inches further than stock. While this is a step in the right direction, it's not nearly enough.

Even to fit 285's with no rubbing you need a 3 inch lift, 4.5" BS, and trimming. 305's is a stretch IMO, but people have done it. But there's definitely no way you could do it with the 5.03 BS rims.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Even to fit 285's with no rubbing you need a 3 inch lift, 4.5" BS, and trimming.
I dont know why this shocks me so much! 3in lift, particular BS AND maybe trimming...... just for 285s on a prerunner while 265 is stock! Jesus...in your statement, its only an extra 20mm (and with 60 series sidewall?) This blows, lol

Meanwhile, instead of the 305/60/18 idea.....the same Nitto is also offered in a 285/60/18. This size is equal to the sidewall height of the stock 265/65 tire.
This tire HAS to fit right in there with the proper range of rim size huh?? Say with maybe an 18x9 instead of the 18x10 (with BS to consider as i dig a little deeper in my options)?

Lastly....im noticing a lack of response towards offsets....is that because offset is much less of a concern - that we have much more flexibility there as opposed to BSing?

Thanks a million in advance! Im taking this all in while studying different sizing diagrams.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Meanwhile, instead of the 305/60/18 idea.....the same Nitto is also offered in a 285/60/18. This size is equal to the sidewall height of the stock 265/65 tire.
This tire HAS to fit right in there with the proper range of rim size huh?? Say with maybe an 18x9 instead of the 18x10 (with BS to consider as i dig a little deeper in my options)?

Lastly....im noticing a lack of response towards offsets....is that because offset is much less of a concern - that we have much more flexibility there as opposed to BSing?

Thanks a million in advance! Im taking this all in while studying different sizing diagrams.

the 285/60/18 may be equal in sidewall height to the stock tires, but because the rim is 2 inches larger, those are actually 33's, while stock is 31's. You can fit the 33's with a 3 inch lift and a little minor trimming.

Offset can be calculated from backspacing and rim width using the link that 98tacoma27 posted above. Backspacing and offset are two way to describe the same thing.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
TRDNinetyNiner is on a distinguished road
TRDNinetyNiner's Tacoma Gallery
Go with a 16" rims (or no more than 16"). Your truck will handle better.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDNinetyNiner View Post
Go with a 16" rims (or no more than 16"). Your truck will handle better.
Yea ive already thought of dropping the rim size from my 18in ideas. The problem is that the better looking wheels are all 18-20inchers Im not sure ive found a 16 or even a 17 that ive fallen in love with yet...i'll probably look harder now in that direction though.

Thanks again for all the posts! It really helps keep me in line while i figure this out....tire shopping for my supra is so much easier!