Notices

Need tire recommendation

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Need tire recommendation

The vast majority of my driving is on pavement however I do drive dirt roads around the hunting seasons. Most of the time they're dry clay hardpack with some areas that are loose sand but when they get wet, the clay hardpack is like driving through 2-3 inches of grease. Max speed on these roads under all conditions is about 40 mph for me.

At the moment, I'm looking seriously at the Firestone Destination A/T's. I don't want a full-fledged mud tire as tread wear and road noise will likely be unacceptable.

Will the Firestones work? Any other recommendations?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Bfg all terrains
x2
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't want to pay for BFG's, general grabber at2's are comparable.
This style of tire is still a compromise between all seasons and mud tires. They'll help in the mud, but don't clean out as well as MT's.
If you're really worried about getting stuck in the mud, get a set of chains.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper ATR's. They have a solid center line so they don't make much noise on the road but are fairly opened up otherwise. Might be a decent option if you run a lot of pavement but need a tire that will handle the greasy stuff.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos.....love them! They work amazingly well in snow and light off-roading (I don't do hardcore wheeling, so I can't support that claim). They are extremely quiet on the road too and I only lost about .5 mpg compared to the stock tires.

My wife had Yokahama Geolander on her Xterra which were great. Now she's got BFG Long Trails which are good too.

Consumer Reports does a tire review which may provide some insight.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
RockyTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Dojo
RockyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
cooper stt
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Cross between a/t and m/t.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Cross between a/t and m/t.
X145665463231879816543878.2

Love my duratracs...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
No kidding, hopefully someone will comment on the original Firestones he was asking about. He did open it up and ask for other recommendations though...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
sanga700 will become famous soon enoughsanga700 will become famous soon enough
sanga700's Tacoma Gallery
I would get Handkook Dynapro AT/M with 10fly which is stiffer side wall . They're good for off road, quiet and cheap too .
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Jetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Division
Name: Carlos
Jetta1cab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanga700 View Post
I would get Handkook Dynapro AT/M with 10fly which is stiffer side wall . They're good for off road, quiet and cheap too .
x2

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...atm-rf10s.html
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll give the hankooks a try. I had a pair I liked about 12 years ago and for the price, the ATM's seem a pretty safe bet.

If I need something for deep mud, I guess I could chain up.