Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

oh no! now what? wheel studs?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
oh no! now what? wheel studs?

so i got my 3 inch procomp lift installed saturday. but i realized that the wheels are only being held onto the hubs by about 5 or mabye 6 threads. no where close to enough in my opinion.... so ive been looking for longer studs, i dont want to just get longer lugs, ive heard that that is not the right approach to my problem. i have a 2010 tacoma prerunner sr5. i got some atx thug 17-8.5s with duratracs on them, but it looks like where the holes for the lugs are bored out the back piece is extremely thick. so i guess what im saying is i need new lugs. any idea where to get them?

i found a site eonlinehttp://www.hunt4steve.com/05TacoExtLn.html that the guy found some from an 02 or an 03 matrix that should fit. i was looking for advice. idk if they will fit or not...the part # is dorman 610-643

or at napa it is # 641-4208

im noto sure if they will fit.... i want to know if they will fit before i go spend $100 on studs that wont fit...

anyone? ideas?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
i just found out that no one has them.... napa can order them and have them here tomorrow.... i cant drive my truck until i know though...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
frequent reader
bump, anyone know anything about this?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Any good parts shop can tell you what studs are for your truck, with that info, you can go through their catalog and find some that are slightly longer. Tacomas do seem to have barely long enoughfront studs, so this is a common problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
When I snapped one off due to discount tire cross threading one I just went to pep boys and got another. They did have some longer ones of the same size.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
frequent reader
ok, ill try pepboys. ive been just about everywhere except there, only cause they are about a 35 mild drive
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
ok, ill try pepboys. ive been just about everywhere except there, only cause they are about a 35 mild drive
And the customer service there is terrible. You may want to call ahead just to make sure.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
You will likely have to order them, not too many people stock that many of any size wheel stud.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Can you get longer reaching lug nuts?
Studs are a lot of work to swap.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #10

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Can you get longer reaching lug nuts?
Studs are a lot of work to swap.
They really aren't aslong as you have the right puller, pop them out, pop a new one in.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Those wheel studs work fine. I'm running them on my truck with no issues.

Also, get the deep Gorilla lug nuts that extend into the wheel.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #12

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
If Mike aint broke 'em, no one will!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #14

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Which studs are you running Mike? The stock ones or lengthened ones?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
they make special lug nuts for this.. not sure what they are but i know they exist...swapping all the studs is a pain.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
The lengthened Dorman PN # 610-463 listed in the Hunt4Steve.com link mentioned in the first post.

RockAuto.com sells 'em for $1.66 each.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem and got Gorilla extended-thread lug nuts from Wheelers.