Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need guidance on tires and wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
hvaughn is on a distinguished road
hvaughn's Tacoma Gallery
Need guidance on tires and wheels

I'm new to the forum and this is my first tacoma. I have a 2009 tacoma double cab with the off road package, and would like to put tires and wheels on it. I've spent the last couple of weeks searching on the forum and the more I look, the more I get confused. My apologies in advance for the long post.

I like the 17x9 Moto Metal 955s (chrome). It seems that these will work as far as backspace/offset and will not stick out too far. I also want to go with the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

This is where the confusion begins. I'm torn b/w the 265/70/17 and 285/70/17. It's my understanding that if I go with the 285s I will need to put a lift on it. I don't have a problem with adding a lift (actually been thinking about it), so this is where I need some expert guidance.

If I go with the 285s and add a 3 inch lift, will I still have ANY problems with rubbing. I don't plan on doing any off roading (may take a dirt road once or twice a year) and I drive the truck daily. So, I would like to maintain as much of the "comfort" ride that I have with the stock suspension. I would also like to retain my stock UCAs and would prefer to not have to do any cutting/trimming.

I'm concerned that if I go with the billsteins, I will not have enough lift for the 285s. I found a kit on toytec (see link below). Will this kit work and can I use my stock shocks. How much ride will I loose?

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Otherwise, it looks that I will need to go with the 265s, and if I do will they look ok with the 17x9 wheels. And if I go with 265s, will I need any lift? For this scenario, the billsteins may work.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone locally to run my questions by. So, I'm hoping for some help here...Please..

Thanks,
Heath
Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
bdwsrjoe's Tacoma Gallery
you wont regret going with 285's, trust me. im running 285's with a toytec spacer lift and although i had to do some minor triming for clearance, i love the stance this setup gives our trucks. as for the tires go with bfg all terrains(slight tire hum at high speeds) or goodyear duratracs(slight tire hum all the time) . oh and dont go with chrome 955's.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwsrjoe View Post
oh and dont go with chrome 955's.
Or Terra Grapplers!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
hvaughn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
here's my reason for telling you not to go with chrome 955's.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ck-wheels.html
I saw that post during my recent searches. It seems that this was a problem b/c he lived near the ocean. Are others having this problem too?

I definitely want chrome wheels (my truck is the magnetic gray color). Do you have some other chrome recommendations?

thanks,
Heath
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

Wink

i was gonna say the same thing but didnt want to start a pissing match with the TG fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Or Terra Grapplers!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sexy!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
hvaughn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I went with KMCs, it would either be the Diesels or Enduros. Just had been leaning towards the 955s.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
hvaughn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Or Terra Grapplers!
I've heard good and bad about them. But my cousin has them on his dodge and likes them a lot. I like the way that look and they seem to be quiet.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaughn View Post
I've heard good and bad about them. But my cousin has them on his dodge and likes them a lot. I like the way that look and they seem to be quiet.
They are very "BRO"!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #15

do some research and youll see which tires are really better.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Tirerack.com has customer reviews and ratings!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
285's with only a 3" lift suck offroad, even with triming. they may not rub on the street, but as soon as you hit the desert its ruba-dub-dub. i know from experiance... also with a 3" toytec your ride will stiffin up and you better get some aftermarket uca's or you will be replacing balljoints in no time. the toytec coil lift your lookin at will sagg over time and your 285's will rub like a bitch. i would suggest 265's with only 3" of lift, it still looks good, its more practical and they wont rub once your springs sagg.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #19
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
are there any deserts in Alabama?
ummm... yea there is. maybe not as much as here in cali, but it dosnt matter. anywhere offroad is gonna rub with 285's and 3" lift. unless you want your truck to be a street queen, then go with 285's
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #20

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.
www.tires.com reviews have bf's with 4 1/2 stars and tg's and duratrac's with 4 stars.