Notices

General Grabber AT2 or BFGoodrich KM2

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
sdheda is on a distinguished road
Name: Sherj
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
General Grabber AT2 or BFGoodrich KM2

I was originally planning on getting the General Grabber AT2 for my truck, but I found a local deal for some BFGoodrich KM2's from an individual seller.

There are a couple of things that I am concerned with and want some advice on what will be the better choice.

1. Most of my driving is on the highway. So between the two, which one will have better on-road manners? By that I mean, lower road noise and better MPG.

2. The KM2's are supposed to be brand new, never used. But since the KM2's are from an individual seller, will I be able to purchase road hazard warranty from the place I get them mounted and balanced. I am assuming the answer to this is a no.

3. If you have the choice which one would you go for?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
The KM2s hands down will be worse on-road than the AT2s. You are comparing a Maximum Traction tire to an All Terrain. No matter what people say about the KM2s a true All Terrain will be better for on road driving. I would get the KM2s if you plan on doing any off road driving and the price is less than the AT2s.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
R.A.M.F (Rad Ass Mutha Fu$ka)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
1. KM2 <PROVEN> Generals are Hyped & Priced High! They're loud for a A/T Tire.

2. NO you may NOT

3. KM2's @ the price you're getting it for. $600 OTD is a Steal. -They're brand new with factory stickers on them.

I wish they were 17's as I'd scoop up a set @ $600.
You're looking at a difference of $450-$500.

You make that call

Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrayzian View Post
1. KM2 <PROVEN> Generals are Hyped & Priced High! They're loud for a A/T Tire.
Generals hyped??????????? Priced High?????????

The Bfg TA KO is Hyped and priced high. BTW, Grabbers have been around as long as the BFG TA KO. I have the AT2s now and don't feel that they are any louder than the BFG ta KO I had before them. Given the OP's pricing, I would pick the BFG based on price alone.

Don't hate on the Grabbers. They are a very capable tire for an AT, and IMO the best tire for the OP's application.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Generals hyped??????????? Priced High?????????

The Bfg TA KO is Hyped and priced high. BTW, Grabbers have been around as long as the BFG TA KO. I have the AT2s now and don't feel that they are any louder than the BFG ta KO I had before them. Given the OP's pricing, I would pick the BFG based on price alone.

Don't hate on the Grabbers. They are a very capable tire for an AT, and IMO the best tire for the OP's application.

My bad, I was thinking about those NEW ones with the Red Letters on them.

They're priced @ $270+tax Each

The OP can get a Brand New Set of KM2's for $600 Flat

Do the math on the difference. In this CASE, I said KM2's based on his situation.

If the tables were turned, I'd say the Generals.

Quote:
I heard you can take them to the shop as long as they have the sticker and get them warrantied?
Don't you need a Original Receipt for proof of Purchase. It has to be a Authorized distributor? Right?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

My bad, I was thinking about those NEW ones with the Red Letters on them.

They're priced @ $270+tax Each

The OP can get a Brand New Set of KM2's for $600 Flat

Do the math on the difference. In this CASE, I said KM2's based on his situation.

If the tables were turned, I'd say the Generals.

Don't you need a Original Receipt for proof of Purchase. It has to be a Authorized distributor? Right?
Agreed on the price difference, that is prob the best reason to get them.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
As Ray pointed out, I can get a set of 4 KM2's for $600. The General Grabbers will be $729.57 (includes tax).

I asked the person selling them about the warranty, and he said that it still applies. I am guessing I would need to contact BFG directly if I have any problems.

Edit: What do people who buy from online stores like Tirerack do for warranty issues?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Yep I would love to get my hands on some of those KM2s I would like another set, I paid 900 for mine.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Yep I would love to get my hands on some of those KM2s I would like another set, I paid 900 for mine.
How's the road noise? Are they loud if you are going above 55mph?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
KM2's for $600 is a steal. get em

i'm thinking about picking up a set for myself...
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Road noise isn't bad at all IMO.
x2 compared to toyo mts they are nothing above 55
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
You can't BEAT KM2's @ $600 for the entire set. You can't find any better tire than that!

Then you can figure its around $660 Mounted/Balanced!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
sdheda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can't BEAT KM2's @ $600 for the entire set. You can't find any better tire than that!

Then you can figure its around $660 Mounted/Balanced!
Ya I know it is a great deal, but I commute 40 miles everyday and most of it is on the freeway. I would have to say that 95% of my driving will be on paved roads. I am just concerned with it being overkill for my needs.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ I have MT's and they're great for what I need. I do mostly City/Highway Driving. When you need the tires for more. You'll have them.

I honestly think you'd be fine with the KM2's
Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheda View Post
I was originally planning on getting the General Grabber AT2 for my truck, but I found a local deal for some BFGoodrich KM2's from an individual seller.

There are a couple of things that I am concerned with and want some advice on what will be the better choice.

1. Most of my driving is on the highway. So between the two, which one will have better on-road manners? By that I mean, lower road noise and better MPG.

2. The KM2's are supposed to be brand new, never used. But since the KM2's are from an individual seller, will I be able to purchase road hazard warranty from the place I get them mounted and balanced. I am assuming the answer to this is a no.

3. If you have the choice which one would you go for?
yes, you can purchase lifetime balancing and the certificates for free replacement from discount tire, and they'll take care of you. I have a customer that already has 60,000 miles on them and still have 7/32 of tread left
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheda View Post
Ya I know it is a great deal, but I commute 40 miles everyday and most of it is on the freeway. I would have to say that 95% of my driving will be on paved roads. I am just concerned with it being overkill for my needs.
If you were paying full price I would say Grabbers, but any MPG you may lose with the KM2's would most likely be negated by the overall savings on initial purchase. And no one has ever complained about being overkill when they needed it, not so much the case if under prepared.