Notices

Snow tires question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
allisonguru is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
allisonguru's Tacoma Gallery
Snow tires question

Im moving and am new to snow conditions, so my question is do i have to get snow tires for the front and rear, or just rear? Its an 07 TRD 4x2
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going studded, I'd get all 4. You always want good tires on the front because thats what stops and steers the truck. When I drove a 4x2, I had aggressive M+S rated tires on the rear, and decent all seasons on the front. The drawback is having different tires for tire rotation.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
What state do you live in? That will greatly determine the kind of tire that will meet your needs.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
allisonguru is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
allisonguru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
What state do you live in? That will greatly determine the kind of tire that will meet your needs.
Well for now, we live in Southern California. But i am being relocated to Southern Indiana.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Putting more aggressive tires on the rear only helps you accelerate. You really need good tires on the front to turn/stop. At the least, a good set of all seasons all around will work just fine with some weight at the front of the bed. I use 3 - 90lb tractor weights at the front of the bed but you can use sand bags also. That way you have some sand if you need to put it under the tires if you get stuck. Just drive with a very light foot to keep from fish-tailing and go easy on the brakes so you don't slide off the road.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with what Lusetaco said above.

Maybe a good "performance snow" tire would be a good choice for you.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
VTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
VTDave's Tacoma Gallery
If you get snow tires, get 4. Mixing tires is a bad idea for slick conditions. Since you're moving to southern Indiana as opposed to Buffalo, NY, you could get away with using a good A/T tire year round (Revos, Nokian Vatiiva) rather than a dedicated snow tire as long as you don't run the tread depth below ~ 6/32" in the winter.

Tires with dedicated winter compounds (e.g., Blizzaks) are really intended to be used where it's cold and stays cold for months at a time. Southern Indiana is on the edge of that area. It could snow 18 inches one day and be 55 degrees the next.