Notices

One Tire Blew - How Many Do I Replace?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Burglar of Turds
rjtoc2 is on a distinguished road
rjtoc2's Tacoma Gallery
One Tire Blew - How Many Do I Replace?

I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-Cab Prerunner. I have approximately 8000 miles on my truck with the original tires.

I heard a loud "pop" this morning while driving home. Once I pulled up to my house, I heard a loud hissing sound. I noticed my passenger-side, rear tire was rapidly deflating. I pulled out all of the stuff and changed the tire. Upon inspection, the flat tire has a crack/split approximately one (1) inch in lenght across the top (tread) of the tire almost centerline.

My question is this: If the tire is not repairable, do I replace the one (1) tire or do I buy at least two (2)? Again, the tires on my Tacoma are the original OEM tires with approximately 8000 miles on them (Dunlop Grandtrek AT-20).

I've also heard from many people about needing to replace all their OEM tires fairly quickly as most OEM tires these days are brand-new factory rejects.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
perfect time to get some 265 75 16's , the Dunlops are garbage .
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't really want to replace all of them right now you could have the spare mounted on the good rim and buy 1 tire that you plan on purchasing as the next set to keep and have as a spare. then when the 4 are ready to be done you can have a new tire already and just buy 3 new ones.

Just a thought but the OEM tires only lasted about 30k on my truck
Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
This is what happened to me. I took the spare and mounted it on the bad tires rim. Then bought the cheapest tire I could and had it mounted on the spare rim.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by red taco View Post
If you don't really want to replace all of them right now you could have the spare mounted on the good rim and buy 1 tire that you plan on purchasing as the next set to keep and have as a spare. then when the 4 are ready to be done you can have a new tire already and just buy 3 new ones.

Just a thought but the OEM tires only lasted about 30k on my truck
Great advice...
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

Army: Infantry
c2thegreat's Tacoma Gallery
If you are considering new tires nows the time to upgrade if not switching the spare in is your cheapest option.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
one tire

I got less than 10,000 kms on my grandtrek AT20 and a lump has appeared on the firewall on one tire and two have a concave style dent in them.Two or three to be exact.Seeing dealer on Thrusday.

later tig1