Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

painting my wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
tnj has a spectacular aura abouttnj has a spectacular aura abouttnj has a spectacular aura about

Army: 197th field artillety
Name: tom and jane
tnj's Tacoma Gallery
painting my wheels

i am about to paint my wheels on my 07,can anyone got advice about the steps and material i need,like sandpaper and primer?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I'd go powdercoat for durability.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Personally, I'd go powdercoat for durability.
youd be surprised how durable a good paint job will be on a set of wheels

i rarely see threads about paint bubbling/cracking/discoloring/etc and people being upset at the results

my old wheels were painted and i wheeled the junk of of them...scraped them on rocks...had them in the mud...pressure washed them...it held up just fine for the better part of 2 years before i sold them
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
98Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: adam
98Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i painted mine and turned out great. depends on the condition of the wheel i had to use a wire wheels to clean mine then use some fine sand paper. after you get all of the rough stuff and smooth the wheel use some acetone or something to clean the wheel of all dirt. them use some good primer just one or two light coats. then use your perferred paint for the top layer about 3 coats but give good amount of time to dry between coats. plus sit them in the sun so the paint will bake into it.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Only advice I could give would be to just take your time. All of mine except for one turned out great. Have to redo it sometime but it still looks good. It is not that hard to do, it is just very time consuming.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
98Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: adam
98Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTRD View Post
Only advice I could give would be to just take your time. All of mine except for one turned out great. Have to redo it sometime but it still looks good. It is not that hard to do, it is just very time consuming.
i agree i spent about 3 hours a wheel makin sure i got them smooth and spotless before any paint touched it. prep work is the key