Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitrogen in Tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Post Nitrogen in Tires

A lot of the tire dealers in my area are encouraging people to use nitrogen in their tires instead of regular air. They say it improves gas mileage. Before I got my Tacoma I had a RAV 4L and tried it but I can't say that I noticed any difference. Have any Tacoma owners tried this and if so, what do you think?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend that used it in another truck. All he says it did was maintain the PSI that he wanted for 20 bucks.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
hondabuster is on a distinguished road
Air Force: F4 mechanic
hondabuster's Tacoma Gallery
My brother works at one of the local tire places, and its just a way to fish out extra profit from the sale of tires. Think of it as if you are tipping the workers.
The air you are breathing right now, is 78% nitrogen, look it up.
Tha scam is, that the nitrogen is a bigger molecule, and wont slip past the porosity of the rubber tires. But regular air is 78%, ...so what are you really gaining for 20 bucks?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
We just got two purigen98 systems at work a couple weeks ago we move a lot of tires on average about 800 a month so it was only a matter of time for us to go in the nitrogen business. So I have had it in for about a week and felt a few changes but it is to early to tell of any major benefits. I am running pro comp tires 285/75R16 at 38 psi right now 100% of my driving is freeway I am not putting a lot of miles on her right now though. I commute daily to work on two wheels but I am thinking about trying it in my street bikes who knows.
We have always joked the next thing we will try to up sell is a tire air rotation out with the winter air in with the summer air well here are.

There is a thread on the subject already.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...tire-fill.html
Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Mingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mingy's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Another scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
A lot of the tire dealers in my area are encouraging people to use nitrogen in their tires instead of regular air. They say it improves gas mileage. Before I got my Tacoma I had a RAV 4L and tried it but I can't say that I noticed any difference. Have any Tacoma owners tried this and if so, what do you think?

Just another scam - air is already mostly nitrogen. I'm sure somebody is going to write about how airplanes or racecars use nitrogen in there tires, which really doesn't mean it does anything for a light pickup.

The guy wanted $125 to do this at one dealership. I told him it would be of greater value to me if they put a magic spell on the truck.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
maybe the claims they are making are somewhat true, I just don't think the dollar value attached to installing nitrogen is worth it.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
For those who don't check their psi often.The claim is it holds your set psi longer.There by improving the mpg.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
For those who don't check their psi often.The claim is it holds your set psi longer.There by improving the mpg.
This is correct. Its also suppoesed to be less affected by heat.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabuster View Post
My brother works at one of the local tire places, and its just a way to fish out extra profit from the sale of tires. Think of it as if you are tipping the workers.
The air you are breathing right now, is 78% nitrogen, look it up.
Tha scam is, that the nitrogen is a bigger molecule, and wont slip past the porosity of the rubber tires. But regular air is 78%, ...so what are you really gaining for 20 bucks?

SCAM X2. Over a-3-4 year period, IF you do not check your tire pressure, you will have a 2-3psig LESS of a loss than air.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This is correct. Its also suppoesed to be less affected by heat.
That was the one I'm praying for. Off topic-How high does our console temp.go??(outside air) It hit 119 2 days ago.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That was the one I'm praying for. Off topic-How high does our console temp.go??(outside air) It hit 119 2 days ago.
Yeah, its out side air, but it is influenced by the temp of the truck also. The body can get VERY hot ( as Im sure you are awear ) when left in the sun.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah, its out side air, but it is influenced by the temp of the truck also. The body can get VERY hot ( as Im sure you are awear ) when left in the sun.
I thought as much.Once i'd started moving it droped to 118.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
I thought as much.Once i'd started moving it droped to 118.
Ah. Haveing a cold front moving in?
LOL
Old 06-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Ah. Haveing a cold front moving in?
LOL
LOL yeah,so far it has been cooler for this time of yr.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrogen

Costco does this on all the tires installed at no extra charge. The Nitrogen does work as claimed. I never need to add air to my tires. I do check them periodically.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post

We need to use helium in our tires to make the truck weightless and thereby make our gas mileage infinite!.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
if you dont have to pay extra for it, then sure!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Costco does this on all the tires installed at no extra charge. The Nitrogen does work as claimed. I never need to add air to my tires. I do check them periodically.
it probably makes good business sense to provide it for free. They don't have to worry about warranty issues because or people driving around with low pressure.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
We need to use helium in our tires to make the truck weightless and thereby make our gas mileage infinite!.
heh maybe slightly lighter but helium is one of the smallest molecules, there for you'll lose PSI even faster than air. If i was going to do that, I'd live on the edge and use hydrogen.