Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

plain black off road wheels help

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
black steel wheels

i plan on getting some new shoes for the taco when the budget allows. i have had my mind made up on 16" black/flat black wheels for a while. my first options were some helo black maxx 6 wheels, but the price didn't really suit me and they looked a little too "ricey?" (i think that's the word ya'll use on here) idk, they looked too "pretty" or "street" to suit my truck or me. then i looked into the ion 174 black (decent price but too much chrome), some eagle, xd, american racing, and fuel's black wheels but ran into similar issues. they cost too much, too flashy, no 16" wheels to offer and i kinda ran into a brick wall. then i looked more into the plain black steel wheels. i like the simplicity and off road look. they aren't too flashy and i think they will look good on a white taco. i'm going for a white and black look anyway. on top of that, they're cheap! some you can get for like $50-$60 bucks apiece. the thing that's held me back so far is that i have heard about how heavy they are. i've heard that the steel wheel weighs a ton and can effect gas mileage and other things. i would like to ask for any help or suggestions from anybody.

i just want a black steel wheel. i have heard of aluminum or alloy black wheels from wheelersoffroad.com, but all i can find is the steel ones. if anybody can help me with those that would be great. if not, are the steel ones going to make much/any difference than my stock off road wheels? if there's already a post like this or somewhere else that explains this, i'm sorry. i'm just asking for some help.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i have steel wheels and alloy trd wheels (like yours). i see no diff in mileage. steel wheels IMO are tougher and if your offroading and f a rim you can usually hammer it straight and itll still hold air. crack an alloy rim on the trail and your pretty much f'd
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i have steel wheels and alloy trd wheels (like yours). i see no diff in mileage. steel wheels IMO are tougher and if your offroading and f a rim you can usually hammer it straight and itll still hold air. crack an alloy rim on the trail and your pretty much f'd
are yours just the stock toyota steel wheels or some that you bought?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
sfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to beholdsfoxwoody is a splendid one to behold
Firefighter: FIREFIRGHTER, GSAR, HAZMAT, DIVE
sfoxwoody's Tacoma Gallery
get the Pro Comp crawlers, they make them in flat black and also have the street locks, they look pretty mean!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as you. Most of the wheels out there are way too flashy and look like Poo. I have always loved the styling of the these rock crawler steel wheels

Does anyone know if they make these in the correct backspacing for a Tacoma to clear the calipers?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
bfogelma is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
bfogelma's Tacoma Gallery
look up Cragar Soft 8s
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
are yours just the stock toyota steel wheels or some that you bought?
yes. the stock steel wheels are about 28lbs. the wheelers wheels are about 30lbs. the stock TRD OR alloys are 22-23lbs.

Stock steelies arent quite as heavy as the wheelers wheels but are much heavier than the trd wheels. no diff in mpg from trd or stock steelies
Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #9

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
they should... they are 6x5.5 bolt pattern. they are 1" less backspacing than stock so the wheels will stick out 1" further
Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
they should... they are 6x5.5 bolt pattern. they are 1" less backspacing than stock so the wheels will stick out 1" further
that's just what i wanted to hear
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
rdcar is on a distinguished road
rdcar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i plan on getting some new shoes for the taco when the budget allows. i have had my mind made up on 16" black/flat black wheels for a while. my first options were some helo black maxx 6 wheels, but the price didn't really suit me and they looked a little too "ricey?" (i think that's the word ya'll use on here) idk, they looked too "pretty" or "street" to suit my truck or me. then i looked into the ion 174 black (decent price but too much chrome), some eagle, xd, american racing, and fuel's black wheels but ran into similar issues. they cost too much, too flashy, no 16" wheels to offer and i kinda ran into a brick wall. then i looked more into the plain black steel wheels. i like the simplicity and off road look. they aren't too flashy and i think they will look good on a white taco. i'm going for a white and black look anyway. on top of that, they're cheap! some you can get for like $50-$60 bucks apiece. the thing that's held me back so far is that i have heard about how heavy they are. i've heard that the steel wheel weighs a ton and can effect gas mileage and other things. i would like to ask for any help or suggestions from anybody.

i just want a black steel wheel. i have heard of aluminum or alloy black wheels from wheelersoffroad.com, but all i can find is the steel ones. if anybody can help me with those that would be great. if not, are the steel ones going to make much/any difference than my stock off road wheels? if there's already a post like this or somewhere else that explains this, i'm sorry. i'm just asking for some help.
I think they have the aluminum and alloy under the 4runner. Don't know why but the steel wheels are under the Tacoma. Check and see if they are also the same size.
http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=67
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcar View Post
I think they have the aluminum and alloy under the 4runner. Don't know why but the steel wheels are under the Tacoma. Check and see if they are also the same size.
http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=67
i didn't think of that, lol. thanks for the common sense man
Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
rdcar is on a distinguished road
rdcar's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
i didn't think of that, lol. thanks for the common sense man
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runnerwheels.htm
Here it is
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfogelma View Post
look up Cragar Soft 8s
if you search soft 8s on the older tacoma forums, you will find a lot of threads of folks running into issues with that style wheel...

since the holes are dimple die, they scrape the caliper... some folks have had success with grinding the vein on the caliper, but a few had gone too far and ended up having to replace their brake systems due to damage...

on the pro comp soft 8 version, double check the wheel to make sure the holes are laser cut and not dimple die...
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Most of the wheels out there are way too flashy and look like Poo. I have always loved the styling of the these rock crawler steel wheels

Does anyone know if they make these in the correct backspacing for a Tacoma to clear the calipers?
in 16x8 for the taco, they come in 4.25" backspace which should be more than enough backspace for a 2nd gen...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
in 16x8 for the taco, they come in 4.25" backspace which should be more than enough backspace for a 2nd gen...
thanks man, do you know anything on the pro comp 98's? or any issues?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
thanks man, do you know anything on the pro comp 98's? or any issues?
i havent heard of anyone trying to put the procomp ones on, but there was a TW member recently who ordered the soft 8s from summit racing and they fit...

worst comes to worst, get them in 5" backspace and if they hit, put a 1/4" wheel spacer and you should be ok...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
i havent heard of anyone trying to put the procomp ones on, but there was a TW member recently who ordered the soft 8s from summit racing and they fit...

worst comes to worst, get them in 5" backspace and if they hit, put a 1/4" wheel spacer and you should be ok...
alright, thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #19

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
have you thought about painting your stock alloys?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #20

Quote:
have you thought about painting your stock alloys?
yes actually, but i want to run 285's in the future when my duratracs wear out. i know that you can run a 285 with a spacer on these wheels, but i'd rather do it right the first time and get wheels that are originally designed to fit a 285. no offense to anyone with painted stock wheels.