Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

I think the Duratracs are gonna have to go!!!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I think the Duratracs are gonna have to go!!!

Well, I put a set of Duratracs on my tacoma back on the 14th of July.

I went up a size to 265/75/16 cause I wanted to fill the wheel well out a bit and I wanted that extra inch. They look amazing and got a ton of compliments.

Now here is my problem: (I tried so hard to make myself like them but I can't. I am just not happy with the ride quality)

1. The noise! They are noisy and just can't get over that wah wah wah sound they make. I tried to make myself say it was a hum and but it is not. It is even loud when slowing down.

2. I got close to 18 mpg before these tires. I calculated it out today and got 15.1! That is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a huge loss and just not worth it to me!

3. My truck feels no where near as peppy as it did since I got these tires. I can definitely tell a sluggishness!

I got these at Discount Tire and they told me I have 30 days to try them out. He said if by any chance I am not happy with the purchase I can take these back and trade them out for something I will be happy with. He said he aims to please so I am going to take him up on that!

I believe I am going to go by there tomorrow if I have time and see about getting a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 265/70/16. I am going back to stock size. Maybe they can order them for me and I can get them put on this Saturday if I am lucky!

Anybody have these Nittos in this size? Pros and Cons??

Thanks for listening!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I'd say keep the 265/75's but go with a different tire if you're not happy...
x2!... look into hankook dynapro mt's. they have good tire wear and are not loud. might be a little more pricy tho.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...est/index.html
Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
It's all in your head man. Terra Graps are good tires.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
If I keep the 265/75's then I will probably still have trouble with the mpg.....
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
the mpg issue is probably a combination of issues...size, weight, and tread

if you keep a bigger heavier mud grip youre GOING to get worse mileage than if you have a smaller lighter tire with a tread designed for the road
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
tacomakid89's Tacoma Gallery
get the trail grapplers if you plan on doing some off roading. theyre bad ass. but if you dont then the terra grapplers are a good way to go too. sorry you dont like them. i love mine.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The End's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure you are losing that much MPG? Have you taken into account the difference the extra diameter of the new tire is going to throw off your speedometer which will mess up your odometer as well. I doubt you would feel a difference in power, the duratracs are a pretty light tire. The Nitto will not be lighter, in fact it may be heavier.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Support our troops!

The End's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid89 View Post
get the trail grapplers if you plan on doing some off roading. theyre bad ass. but if you dont then the terra grapplers are a good way to go too. sorry you dont like them. i love mine.

He said that he doesn't like the sound that Duratracs make so I doubt he would be too pleased with the Trail Grapplers.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 265/75 duratracs. it is a hum on my truck. Cant even hear them now. Sorry for your situation.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Support our troops!

The End's Tacoma Gallery
It would be 1-2%, not saying that is where his mpg's mysteriously disappeared to but could have been a contributing figure. Just as an example, if you got 350 miles per tank and now you're only getting 330 then 7-8 of those miles can be from tire size.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
He said that he doesn't like the sound that Duratracs make so I doubt he would be too pleased with the Trail Grapplers.
I can barely hear my Trail's, but they are heavy as shit. It took all my scrawy ass could give to rotate them LOL.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Support our troops!

The End's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRacer190 View Post
I can barely hear my Trail's, but they are heavy as shit. It took all my scrawy ass could give to rotate them LOL.
So you can imagine how loud they will be too him if he doesn't like the Duratracs, lol.

It's funny to me how the OP asks about the Nitto TG and gets people telling him to get mud tires.

Today I put 37x12.50x20's Trail Grapplers on a new 2500 Chevy...Talk about fvcking heavy, lol.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably at least the 8 (Load Range D) or 10 (Load Range E) which are both much heavier than the OEM 265/70/16 Rugged Trails. If you want to go with the larger size, find a 6 ply(Load Range C) or stay with the OEM size. If the MPG is the primary concern, I'd go with the Michelin LTX AT2's. They still feature an all terrain tread design, a 50k mileage warranty, and are still quiet ride quality. That would be my suggestion for the OEM size, or just go with the Load Range D BFG All-Terrains.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
op did you account for the size of the tires when calculating your gas mileage

Edit: 265/75 16s are 4% larger. so multiply the mileage by 1.04 before you divide by gallons
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Did you think your mileage would stay the same ?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
jmcnair327 is on a distinguished road

jmcnair327's Tacoma Gallery
I put on the exact same tire coming from the 245's also. I have had mine for about 4 months and love them. I too Noticed what you mentioned in feeling a power decrease but my MPG stayed about the same as before. Dont mind the noise and dont think its that bad...
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
It's funny to me how the OP asks about the Nitto TG and gets people telling him to get mud tires.
did you expect any less? mud grips are a fashion accessory now-a-days
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #19
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
op you can also try a 235/85 16 they are sam diameter and weight less than 265/75s and are cheaper
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #20
Support our troops!

The End's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
did you expect any less?
Nope.